Multimeter Recommendations

Multimeter Recommendations

Postby aurelio » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:36 pm

I will be replacing the tubes in my Audio Research Ref-150 amplifier and require a Multi-meter in order to bias the tubes. Any suggestions on a Multi-meter to purchase?
VPI Classic Signature
Sounsmith Zephyr Mimic
VPI ADS
Audio Research REF-150
Audio Research REF-5SE
Audio Research REF-2SE
Kharma 3.2 Speakers
Marantz SA-11S2 SACD
Yggdrasil DAC
aurelio

Re: Multimeter Recommendations

Postby mmai » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:15 pm

VPI 30th Anniversary Classic (fully tricked out); Audio Technica ART-9, AT-OC9ML/II & Denon DL-103SA; Aesthetix Rhea (modded to near Signature status)
mmai

Postby Searing75 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:11 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RadioShack-22- ... SwbpVbh~Ez

I’ve used this one for decades. It’s great, and extremely accurate!
Searing75

Postby YoungDave » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:03 pm

While we certainly respect great accuracy, a general-purpose multimeter will easily bias tubes with adequate accuracy - the bias point is not critical to the 3rd significant digit...

That said, I have long held that the most robustly-constructed and useful analog multimeter is the tried-and-true Simpson 260, going back 5 decades and still in production iirc.

While far less useful in a general sense than an analog meter, a digital meter can (not necessarily always do) provide greater accuarcy, particularly in DC or resistance measurements. I have always favored Flukes for digital meters, particularly the old 8000 and 8800 models - but I always use an analog meter for general measurement and troubleshooting, and the digital for a bench reference.
2004 HRX, heavyweight platter, 1st gen 3d arm, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Dynavector XV-1s, Manley Steelhead, DEQX
YoungDave

Postby rif » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:56 am

Fluke 8060a with a set of quality probes.
rif

Postby Golear » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:44 pm

https://www.tequipment.net/Fluke715Proc ... ?rrec=true
With custom 99.9999 pure silver probes, crimped connectors (not soldered, good heavens no!), and Nordost Odin 2 wire. Nordost won't sell short lengths, so you'd need to get 8 ft. Bi-wired.

Late edit: I'm kidding. I don't want this on my conscience.
Golear

Postby mmai » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:27 am

YoungDave wrote:While we certainly respect great accuracy, a general-purpose multimeter will easily bias tubes with adequate accuracy - the bias point is not critical to the 3rd significant digit...

That said, I have long held that the most robustly-constructed and useful analog multimeter is the tried-and-true Simpson 260, going back 5 decades and still in production iirc.

While far less useful in a general sense than an analog meter, a digital meter can (not necessarily always do) provide greater accuarcy, particularly in DC or resistance measurements. I have always favored Flukes for digital meters, particularly the old 8000 and 8800 models - but I always use an analog meter for general measurement and troubleshooting, and the digital for a bench reference.

Agreed. A general-purpose multimeter would be enough.

But as audiophiles, we must have the best (I have a Simpson 260 and a Fluke 189) lol.
VPI 30th Anniversary Classic (fully tricked out); Audio Technica ART-9, AT-OC9ML/II & Denon DL-103SA; Aesthetix Rhea (modded to near Signature status)
mmai

Return to Support Forum