Removing Aries 1 feet?

Removing Aries 1 feet?

Postby bdp24 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:57 am

The cone feet on the Aries 1 unscrew, leaving a threaded stud secured with a thin nut. I assume the stud is attached to the bottom of the cosmetic aluminum disc that sits on the top of the Aries' plinth---right above the foot, the stud passing through the plinth. And I assume the retaining nut can be unscrewed to allow removal of the stud (and presumably the cosmetic disc), but try as I might I can't get the nut to budge. Do I just need to use more elbow grease, or is the nut glued in place, designed to be impossible to remove?
bdp24

Re: Removing Aries 1 feet?

Postby MMMC » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:36 am

bdp24 wrote:The cone feet on the Aries 1 unscrew, leaving a threaded stud secured with a thin nut. I assume the stud is attached to the bottom of the cosmetic aluminum disc that sits on the top of the Aries' plinth---right above the foot, the stud passing through the plinth. And I assume the retaining nut can be unscrewed to allow removal of the stud (and presumably the cosmetic disc), but try as I might I can't get the nut to budge. Do I just need to use more elbow grease, or is the nut glued in place, designed to be impossible to remove?

bdp24,
My question is, what change or modification are you attempting, or wish to? I've previously owned both the Aries 1 and the Extended Aries and never attempted, nor contemplated removing the nut. As far as I know, the stud is for centering the hard dampening grommet between the feet and the Aries plinth, which can be changed. I also do not recall any mention in the manual of any service required of that part, and received the recommendation to replace the grommet from a call to VPI after I purchased my used Aries 1 for maintenance recommendations. I always considered the Aries 1 to be a very nice, low maintenance table, no headache table. Sorry, but that's all I know.

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby bdp24 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:23 pm

Thanks MMMC. I will be using a set of Townshend Audio Seismic Pods in place of the Aries' stock cone feet. I view cones as couplers at very low frequencies, not isolators. I like the Aries, but being a non-suspended turntable design it requires some form of isolation from the surface and structure it sits upon. The stock Aries cone feet do not, in my opinion, provide isolation at very low frequencies. Townshend Audio Seismic Pods do.

I can just leave the threaded posts in place after unscrewing the cones, but that will look somewhat unsightly. If the posts can be removed, I would like to do so.
bdp24

Postby MMMC » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:04 am

bdp24 wrote:Thanks MMMC. I will be using a set of Townshend Audio Seismic Pods in place of the Aries' stock cone feet. I view cones as couplers at very low frequencies, not isolators. I like the Aries, but being a non-suspended turntable design it requires some form of isolation from the surface and structure it sits upon. The stock Aries cone feet do not, in my opinion, provide isolation at very low frequencies. Townshend Audio Seismic Pods do.

I can just leave the threaded posts in place after unscrewing the cones, but that will look somewhat unsightly. If the posts can be removed, I would like to do so.

bdp24,
I can suggest an alternate approach. Check into an Symposium Ultra platform, which will eliminate the need for purchasing the Seismic Pods and the Sink. You can leave the cones attached to the Aries, and Symposium will supply you with some metal plates to prevent the cones from scratching the top of the Ultra platform. I posted some photos of my Extended Aries under "Old school Extended Aries" in the Customer Pictures section. You will not need an Ultra the size I employed because you have the much smaller standard Aries plinth, without the additional real estate required for the stand-alone flywheel I employed to provide the touch of TNT performance to the Extended Aries. The Extended Aries is currently in involuntary retirement, replaced by an HR-X, but I still have great affection for the Extended Aries. I can promise you, the Aries, with cones attached, will love life on a Symposium Ultra.

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Brf » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:01 am

bdp24, what issue(s) are you attempting to resolve? Parasitic seismic, acoustic, or footfall energy?

I use a pneumatic air suspension in my feet which act very similar to a spring with excellent results. I can see your interest in the Townshend pods.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby bdp24 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:26 pm

Brf---all of the above! I have some of the old Townshend Seismic Platforms (which is an air bladder inside a steel top and bottom plate), but they measure only 14 x 17, not nearly large enough for the Aries 1 (though fine for my Townshend Rock Elite table). I also looked at the Symposium Segue ISO, but it's springs are not nearly as sophisticated as the design of the Townshend Pods.
bdp24

Return to Support Forum