VPI Prime setup

VPI Prime setup

Postby kkelley570 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:26 pm

I just bought a VPI Prime turntable after owning a VPI Prime Scout. I setup my Prime Scout and was successful and it sounded great. I just setup my Prime Signature (twice) and I am having bass issues. I am using a Hana MC SL cartridge. The treble and midrange are great but the low end bass is out of control and boomy. I setup the table twice paying close attention to cartridge alignment, tracking force, tracking angle and azimuth. I used the same cartridge on my Prime Scout and it sounded great no bass issues, What did I do wrong. Nothing else in the chain has changed. It's not a ground issue either.
kkelley570

Re: VPI Prime setup

Postby billo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:30 am

Did you try raising the VTA tower? Too low in the tail of the arm will definitely make things boom.
billo

Re: VPI Prime setup

Postby Brf » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:21 am

Assuming that it's not a cartridge set up issue, the Prime Signature is able to reproduce more bass than your former Prime Scout, therefore, the additional bass resonance may be interacting with your room and exciting a room mode. You can try repositioning your speakers to help reduce bass room modes.
Brf
Site Admin

Return to Support Forum