Turntable upgrade or Pre Amp

Turntable upgrade or Pre Amp

Postby MOON » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:58 am

Looking for opinions. I have a prime with a Lyra Kloes cartridge. I also have a Simaudio P 7 pre. I have a chance to upgrade to a P 8 simaudio pre with separate power supply or upgrade the table.

I can get a new classic signature with balanced junction box. My phono pre has balanced in's or maybe a prime signature. I can take my phono pre to the dealer and demo it with the signature.

In the tone audio review of my phono pre they said to run balanced in if possible because it sounded better. The P 8 pre amps rarely come up on the used market. What are your thoughts on this ??
Last edited by MOON on Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prime 152, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution phono stage , Audio Sensibility silver statement phono cable.
MOON

Re: Turntable upgrade or Pre Amp

Postby Brf » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:48 am

I would take the P8 all day long, it is an awesome pre, built like a tank, versatile, great customer support and dead quiet.

As you mentioned, the P8 is rarely found on the used market and if you can get one at a decent price, I would jump on it as you don't know when you will get another opportunity. In addition, since you already own and enjoy a P7, the P8 is just refinement/upgrade of the P7, therefore, there is very little risk that you will be disappointed. You can upgrade to a Classic Signature and/or Prime Signature at anytime as these are readily available on the used market.
Brf
Site Admin

Return to Support Forum