Tonearm headshell bubble levels

Re: Tonearm headshell bubble levels

Postby Jprod » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:40 pm

Thanks for all the replies!
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby bpw » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:49 pm

Jprod wrote:What do you all think of the bubble level for a headshell? Good way to set the azimuth and to make sure cartridge is parallel to the record ?

I use one, but it's not necessarily parallel to the record when the setup is done.
bpw

Postby Mr_Putty » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:23 pm

Maybe useful as a starting point. But, never permanently mounted as it would be a resonant chamber right where you are trying to get the best (likeable) manageable control of waveforms.
Mr_Putty

Postby kurtster » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:23 am

I agree with using it as a starting point, but that would be it.

I change the VTA with every record I play. Once I finalized my mat thickness, I established a zero point and have a 2 mm range for my vinyl. Dynaflex is at the bottom at zero with most 70's and 80's vinyl ranging from +.5 mm to +.75 mm. Modern 180g and 200g pressings I take up the full 2 mm just to offset the thickness. Tweaking by ear along the way. I have found more is better than less and that just a .25 mm change on some records can be amazing while on others, it's nothing much. I do make notes regarding the VTA settings for my records for the next time I play them.
kurtster

Postby macster » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:17 pm

I don't use a bubble level on the headshell. I make sure
    that the platter is level
    then I use a record which is basically the average thickness of the records that I play
    then I use a ruler to measure from the surface of that record to opposite points on the headshell
M~
Don't sweat the small stuff
macster

Postby Lewisranchmike » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:44 pm

macster wrote:I don't use a bubble level on the headshell. I make sure
    that the platter is level
    then I use a record which is basically the average thickness of the records that I play
    then I use a ruler to measure from the surface of that record to opposite points on the headshell
M~

That is the method Harry told me about. I purchased some engineering steel rulers and double sided taped them to wooden blocks and used them. I also use one of those clear plastic blocks that has the lines and drilled a hole through to allow finger lift to come through so I could snug the block next to cart. That works quite well also.(if you search “old dog new tricks” in the forum there might still be a picture I posted.

Mike in Austin
VPI PRIME, VAS Nova Gold, TerraStone Footers, Symposium Seque Iso, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Periphery Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility Statement, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby Tirebiter » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:44 pm

The bubble level on my Graham is great for getting the arm level initially and for understanding where the arm should be set once I dial in VTA with Analog Magic.....with my old JMW 10, I had no idea whether or not the arm was level to begin with.
TNT Jr, Graham Phantom III, ZYX Universe II LOMC, Tempo Electric Silver Phono Cable, Amazon B-lab Phonoamplifyer, Tom Evans - The Vibe, Lamm ML 2.1 Monoblocks, Avantgarde Duo Grosso....and a Thorens TD 160 Mk I in standby....
Tirebiter

Previous

Return to Support Forum