Packing a HW-19 MkIII for shipment cross country??

Re: Packing a HW-19 MkIII for shipment cross country??

Postby Solid » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:41 am

Thanks. A couple drops of motor oil didn’t seem to do the trick. Maybe I have a better chance buying the motor from vpi, even if it costs more. Will look into those arms. I’ve heard and read mixed reviews about the Linn basic lv x. The cable only has the long grounding cable that attaches to a preamp grounding post. No additional short grounding cable in sight. I have no exprerience with electrical engineering, so if this seems like an uninformed question, forgive me. Where should I run the second grounding cable from. The long grounding cable that is connected to the preamp? Seems like my only option other than buying a new cable.
Attachments
D8E9E0A2-2332-44A6-AF97-64512CE9D6DA.jpeg
D8E9E0A2-2332-44A6-AF97-64512CE9D6DA.jpeg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 146 times
E3FE6615-3F2F-4547-9B16-C387B17D3B75.jpeg
E3FE6615-3F2F-4547-9B16-C387B17D3B75.jpeg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 146 times
3EA1BC91-4450-4362-91A1-2101EE5D78EF.jpeg
3EA1BC91-4450-4362-91A1-2101EE5D78EF.jpeg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 146 times
Solid

Postby Brf » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:29 pm

Solid wrote:Thanks. A couple drops of motor oil didn’t seem to do the trick. Maybe I have a better chance buying the motor from vpi, even if it costs more. Will look into those arms. I’ve heard and read mixed reviews about the Linn basic lv x. The cable only has the long grounding cable that attaches to a preamp grounding post. No additional short grounding cable in sight. I have no exprerience with electrical engineering, so if this seems like an uninformed question, forgive me. Where should I run the second grounding cable from. The long grounding cable that is connected to the preamp? Seems like my only option other than buying a new cable.

I assume that your phono cable's DIN plug has a 5 connector pinout. If so, one of those connections is the ground and is more than likely part of the cable's shield. If you attached the tonearm's ground spade connection to your pre amp's ground post, you will be fine. As an added precaution, some users run a separate ground wire from the bottom platter bearing to the preamp grounding post, but this is not necessary if you do not experience any system hum.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Solid » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:09 am

Thanks! Unfortunately I do experience hum. Only with this turntable. I tried this turntable on a couple different systems. There is motor noise as well, but it also seems like a grounding issue. When I hold the tonearm and move it closer to the spindle it becomes more pronounced. I isolated the motor completely from the top mdf plate, and as soon as the needle hits the record, there is hum. Prior to that, I thought it was motor noise, and honestly still sounds like it is being transferred even though it is still isolated. I tried a bunch of stuff too, including a cartridge change. I wonder if some of these Linn basik tonearm din cables came without the second grounding cable. If I do solder one in, or buy another din cable with the second ground lead, where should I attach this second grounding lead. The chassis around the motor? (motor box?)
Solid

Postby Brf » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:41 am

On my former Linn table the phono DIN plug had a pigtail grounding wire that attached the table's metal sub chassis. You might want to try and run a separate ground wire from the platter bearing to the pre amp grounding lug to see if this helps mitigate the hum. As an alternative, try a another phono cable with better shielding.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Ducky » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:50 am

Solid wrote:Thanks! Unfortunately I do experience hum. Only with this turntable. I tried this turntable on a couple different systems. There is motor noise as well, but it also seems like a grounding issue. When I hold the tonearm and move it closer to the spindle it becomes more pronounced. I isolated the motor completely from the top mdf plate, and as soon as the needle hits the record, there is hum. Prior to that, I thought it was motor noise, and honestly still sounds like it is being transferred even though it is still isolated. I tried a bunch of stuff too, including a cartridge change. I wonder if some of these Linn basik tonearm din cables came without the second grounding cable. If I do solder one in, or buy another din cable with the second ground lead, where should I attach this second grounding lead. The chassis around the motor? (motor box?)

It sounds as if you have both electrical and mechanical noise issues. Moving the cart closer to the spindle sounds like electrical hum, although it could still be mechanical if the tonearm is resting on the queuing platform and the change of position increases coupling. Do you get the same result by moving the tonearm closer with the queuing down but holding the arm by the finger lift?

The hum when the needle hits the records definitely sounds like mechanical hum coming from the motor. I think this is less a problem when the motor is mounted off-chassis like the Scout or Prime.
Ducky

Postby Solid » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:40 pm

So. There are two motor noises. One that is a dull, hum like, continuous sound. The other is a more friction like sound that actually decreases when I touch the tonearm with my finger (I don’t think it is actual friction with the player bearing. It’s coming from the motor). Then while still holding with my fingers comes back when I move the arm close to the spindle. I’m really tempted to try and fix this. However, I just see it taking me forever. May just sell this for parts at this point. I’m on a budget and all the seemingly necessary upgrades are just a little much. The ADS or similar. Platter upgrades. Better arm. My sl1200mk2 is looking and sounding pretty good right now. Not quite the same vibe as the hw-19 but a really nice sound (and stable speed) with a few tweaks.
Solid

Postby JimmyL » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:54 pm

I'd encourage you to keep working at this table. I recently built/mod'ed my HW-19 Mk3 and can honestly say, once done, I doubt I will ever really want to change it. If I came across a MK4 platter... I might add that but I'm not super needing it. I can't discern an immediate need for any speed control and love the classic looks of this table. There are always additional mod's etc to look at as the budget permits but compared to my past tables and most any newer/fancier tables, I really can't see anything I like better.
Great table and well worth the pain of sorting out the issues.
VPI HW19 mod’ed MK3 w/10.5i, VAS Nova Special .4mV, Musical Paradise MP501 V2 Integrated Tube amp, MP Tube Phono Pre, MP Tube D1 DAC, Harbeth P3esr’s
JimmyL

Previous

Return to Support Forum