Packing a HW-19 MkIII for shipment cross country??

Packing a HW-19 MkIII for shipment cross country??

Postby worldwidebeagle » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:06 pm

I am considering purchase of a MkIII but its located 1500 miles from me. It has the Linn Basik LVX arm. Seller said he is willing to do whatever is necessary for packing, but is waiting on instructions from me.

Is it possible for an amateur to pack a MkIII for shipping cross country? I assume/guess separate boxes for the platter (original - not upgraded), tone arm and plinth.

Would appreciate suggestions.

Thanks

Peter in Denver
worldwidebeagle

Re: Packing a HW-19 MkIII for shipment cross country??

Postby Peer Gynt » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:52 pm

Dust cover needs separate box too.

Foaming can be used to protect and separate the plinth, platter, and top plate in one box.

I’ve down this twice - once as receiver and once as shipper.

It worked, but barely, both times. It was on the order of $150. Get a firm quote before you commit to the purchase.
Peer Gynt

Postby worldwidebeagle » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:30 pm

Curious about the cost. Was that due to sizes and number of boxes?

When you say foaming, I assume you mean the spray building foam to lock in the pieces after the unit is wrapped in plastic.

I have done the HD spray foam with my wife's glass bowls shipping overseas - she is an artist. One client half halfheartedly complained that he and wife had to take 30 minutes to dig out the foam - but were thrilled the expensive bowl made it fine to Australia.

I getting the feeling that a wise (sane) person would not try this for a $500 and 30 year old turntable

Thanks
worldwidebeagle

Postby Peer Gynt » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:35 pm

worldwidebeagle wrote:Curious about the cost. Was that due to sizes and number of boxes?

Sizes, weights, number of boxes, insurance value, distance, residential vs commercial address... these are all factors. The only way to know is to get a detailed quote.

The HW-19 is neither small nor light.

It is FAR MORE than a 30 year old TT though. I think HW was far ahead of Tiefenbrun. If you mount an Ittok on the HW-19, you’ve got the very rigid path that Tiefenbrun was looking for with his Keel subchassis. And HW’s suspension requires no obsessive “fettling.”

It’s an incredible TT for $500, and that’s with no arm.
Peer Gynt

Postby bdp24 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:28 pm

Peter, I have received two HW-19's that were packed in custom-made expanded-foam shipping cartons, and both arrived fine, with no damage. Is the table you are interested in on the West Coast, or the East? I have both the cartons (with foam packing) my HW-19's were shipped in, and am located in the Portland Oregon area. If the seller of the table you are interested is near me, he and you are welcome to them---Eric.
bdp24

Postby Stringreen » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:00 pm

Boy - would I not do that...... unless you go there and pick it up yourself......chances are pretty good something wrong will happen. When UPS packs your shipment, I can almost guarantee that.
Stringreen

Postby 10ovr » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:52 am

Sounds like a good excuse for a Road Trip :D
10ovr

Postby worldwidebeagle » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:58 pm

bdp24 wrote:Peter, I have received two HW-19's that were packed in custom-made expanded-foam shipping cartons, and both arrived fine, with no damage. Is the table you are interested in on the West Coast, or the East? I have both the cartons (with foam packing) my HW-19's were shipped in, and am located in the Portland Oregon area. If the seller of the table you are interested is near me, he and you are welcome to them---Eric.

Hi Eric:

I sent you an PM or direct email. The seller is in NY. Perhaps I can pay for you to ship the cartons to NY?

thanks

Peter
worldwidebeagle

Postby Solid » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:17 pm

Hey Everyone,
Excited to be here. I made the guy a low ball offer for the turntable mentioned, thinking he'd not be interested, but he bit, and I ended up with a bit of a lemon. I sent him a good amount of info about shipping and packing turntables, and he did an outstanding job. Way over the top, but it all arrived safely. Stylus included.

One of the problems is the motor. It's a bit noisy. The tonearm may also have an issue. I know the linn basik lv x is supposed to have a short grounding cable in addition to the long one that connects to the grounding post on a preamp, or integrated amp. I may need to get a replacement cable, or somehow rig a short wire. So, not only is the motor noisy, as soon as the needle hits the record, there is a hum. I tried a different cartridge and stylus with the same results. I haven't had a chance to get back to it, since it is in my workshop, but I will soon. I even isolated the top plate from the plinth, using 3 short soup cans and 3 of the sorbothane pucks. This was before I researched and learned about the short grounding cable that is connected to the Din tonearm cable. A bit of a project for a relatively inexperienced diy-er.

Questions:

Once I do actually have a proper din cable with the right ground leads, where do I hook the short grounding cable to? I've read about people making a little extension with cheap speaker wire or the like and connecting it to a screw on the chassis of their turntable, however the VPI HW 19 junior is mostly wood and mdf. Could connect it to one of the screws on the motor chassis?

Next question, and the elephant in the room. I opened up the motor chassis and found the motor. I know it is the 600RPM Hurst PB series 3203-001 with .82uf cap. I did find them for sale for about $88. But I also found a seller on eBay selling 2 of them for like $38 or so. I asked him why and he said it took him 3 to find a relatively quiet one, and even with that one, he had to mod it.

So should I take a chance on the stock 3203-001 hurst motor, or possibly hunt down the Hurst SP-3923 motor that used to be available only through VPI. I imagine my chances are slim on that.

Last question. I have a slowly being built parted together SME improved fixed headshell tonearm. Just need to hook up tonearm wires to RCA's with proper shielding, or just break down and get a screening can assembly. I have new old stock stanton 881s D81s, and shure V15M KIV carts on hand to ultimately choose from. Problem is, the VPI HW 19 jr has an mdf plinth that just has a hole drilled out, specifically for the Linn Basik LV X arm. I don't have a ton of free time on my hands, nor do I have the confidence to accurately place an SME arm on a non-pre-drilled arm board.

All that being said, even with the hum, I noticed a very lush, dark, yet very clear and detailed, inviting sound. Tried it with the stylus and cart came with it. A very healthy stanton 881s and D81s stylus, which is actually what led me to the ePrey listing.
Anyway, any help is appreciated. Even with the issues, I'm officially a convert!
Solid

Postby sturgus » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:44 am

The first thing would be to try a drop or two of motor oil on the shaft of the motor. If that doesn't work just get motor from VPI. As far as the ground wire just add a length of wire to it, very easy. If the arm is damaged you can replace it with an AQ-arm or a Jelco ST-250. The mounting distance is the same 211mm. I think your arm is probably fine and the ground wire will be all you need.
Aronov Amps-Musical Design Pre & Phono & Dac G.Slee Accession/Elevator
VPI HW-19 MK4/Lustre 801-Koetsu Rosewood Linn Lp12 Audiomods/Nagaoka 500
Merlin VSM speakers Dahlquist Subs/Musical Design D140 amp
Pioneer PD-75
sturgus

Next

Return to Support Forum