3D 2nd pivot - Problem?

3D 2nd pivot - Problem?

Postby Stringreen » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:56 pm

I just noticed that under the point of the 2nd pivot, I can see a rut or line forming. The arm is leaning very lightly on that point...however.... Perhaps is there a new silver metal plate available for replacement? Thanks...
Stringreen

Re: 3D 2nd pivot - Problem?

Postby JimTimP » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:16 pm

Well, you do want there to be contact between the two. So there is going to be some surface disruption and marring. But if the line is really a 'rut', then that's a problem. And VPI is going to need to make plates available if they wear. Especially if they wear this fast!

How deep is the line?
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby Peer Gynt » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:14 pm

Stringreen wrote:I just noticed that under the point of the 2nd pivot, I can see a rut or line forming. The arm is leaning very lightly on that point...however.... Perhaps is there a new silver metal plate available for replacement? Thanks...

1. There is a HUGE difference between a rut and a line. A mark is normal. A plowed rut is totally unexpected, and if you’re getting one, you’ve really overloaded the foot.

2. The azimuth might be correct with a leaning arm (if the stylus is misaligned on the cantilever). But I think it’s more likely not yet right. The foot does not need a large load to provide the desired stability.

Nevertheless, I agree the VPI ought to sell the plates. And another option would be for users to polish the surface and give it a light lick with a good paste wax. Has anybody tried this? A little rub down with a microfiber cloth, and some 3M Machine Polish, followed by a bit of Meguires best. I don’t see how it could hurt, although antiskating would need to be checked and adjusted.
Peer Gynt

Postby Brf » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:03 pm

This is very interesting.

I’ve owned and used the dual pivot longer than most on this forum and I don’t have any markings, etching, etc on the skate plate. It still looks brand new. I can only assume that perhaps your dual pivot is over loaded.

I just snapped a picture today of the skate plate for reference.

Note - for those who have an etched trace mark, simply remove and reapply the skate plate a millimeter from the previous position so that the dual pivot no longer traces the same. Careful not to have the new path intersect with the old
Attachments
2651330A-47B3-42E2-9BD2-AC710B4CD017.jpeg
2651330A-47B3-42E2-9BD2-AC710B4CD017.jpeg (50.65 KiB) Viewed 178 times
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Guss2 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:16 pm

Mine looks exactly as BRF's, something is definitely off there.
Guss2

Postby Stringreen » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:22 pm

Perhaps the thing to do is use auto scratch remover and then polish it....if a new part is available it would be the correct answer however. If anyone on this site can forsee an issue with the polishing/scratch remover.....kindly post. The damage on my skate plate can best be seen if the light comes from a particular angle. I might post a picture if it can be shown.
Stringreen

Postby Mr_Putty » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:19 am

The hidden part of this problem might be something wrong with the contact end of the adjustment pin itself. What is the shape of the contact area and it’s size? Perhaps the finish got damaged before setup? Just a thought, without any specs we would be guessing, but I would have a close look at the contact point with a good loop just to be sure that is not where the problem lies.
Mr_Putty

Return to Support Forum