Mysterious Electrical "Pop"

Mysterious Electrical "Pop"

Postby Chuckster » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:36 pm

Experiencing a very annoying electrical "popping" sound every so often during playback of records:

>It is NOT the common pop when shutting off the outboard motor ("old" 600rpm version), but it sounds very similar to that (although lower in volume) so leads me to speculate that it's electrical in nature, though it is not consistent as if it were on a repeating cycle...but maybe the motor is experiencing some sort of fluctuation? :?

>Sounds like when dust hits the needle or when the cartridge body (or rubber piece the cantilever is attached to) is "mounted" too low and a less than flat record bumps into it--BUT IT IS NOT THAT; it happens with clean records on "naked" ie matless Mk IV platter
Chuckster

Re: Mysterious Electrical "Pop"

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:32 pm

Two things come to mind quickly.

1. Are you running tubes? Output tubes don’t typically make popping noises, but tubes in earlier stages can. If they are, the solution is to replace them.

2. Are you running the TT on a different circuit than the amp and preamp? Potential differences can find their way to the unintended ground, and this can pop too.
Peer Gynt

Postby Chuckster » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:07 pm

Peer Gynt wrote:Two things come to mind quickly.

1. Are you running tubes? Output tubes don’t typically make popping noises but tubes in earlier stages can...

Peter, thank you so much for your quick and insightful response! I am familiar with the symptoms of bad tubes, and though the current configuration IS a pair of 12AX7s in the phono stage (Modded Jolida JD-9 MK II) and 6SN7s in
the pre (Blue Circle BC21), the mysterious noise in question is not what I'm hearing, which leads to...

2. Are you running the TT on a different circuit than the amp and preamp? Potential differences can find their way to the unintended ground, and this can pop too.

This diagnosis seems more likely a potential source of the issue in that as a matter of fact I AM running the TT outboard power supply motor on a different circuit than the previous & power amps. But what I'm wondering is if you're suggesting the problem could be due to the components being plugged-in on the same or plugged in on different circuits...Could you please clarify?

I haven't yet had time for further diagnostics since making my original post but am hoping to do some more assessment tomorrow evening. I will post follow-ups as more shall (hopefully) be revealed...I'm also going to again inspect the cartridge/stylus--both the assembly and mounting conditions, respectively--more closely...
Chuckster

Postby Brf » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:26 am

My assumption would be more likely if you were experiencing this problem in a dry winter month but it sounds like a static discharge. Have you tried static neutralizer like a Zerostat? Make sure that your table's ground is secured.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby DeeCee » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:18 am

This can happen in the summer too, *IF* you are running AC big time. Trust me, I know. I live in Central Swampland (I mean Florida) and Zerostat is quite helpful (some vinyl formulations generate enough electricity to power the city it seems...)

A humidifier may be helpful if this is troublesome for some of the cheaper cures...

Good Luck!
DeeCee
VPI Scout 2/JMW-9/Benz Micro Wood SL/Graham Slee 3 & PSU1/Sony DVP-S7000/Schiit Audio Bifrost Uber/Sonic Euphoria PLC/Aragon 4004 Mk II/Aerial Acoustics Model 7
DeeCee

Postby Golear » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:32 am

Run a wire from the the bottom of the platter bearing housing to the ground nut on the tonearm, may be? That stopped my LPs from building up a static charge while being played. (Any wire will do. It doesn't have to be thick.)

Alternatively, it could be some other equipment in the house, and the RF generated by a tiny spark as the circuit switches on/off travels through the air to your phono stage. Could be the refrigerator, or the AC. Something that is mains operated, and has a relay.

It might help if you uploaded a recording.
Golear

Postby spinblackcircle » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:33 pm

While a picture maybe worth a thousand words, a YouTube video maybe be worth the answer to your question. ;)
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby Peer Gynt » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:25 pm

Golear wrote:Alternatively, it could be some other equipment in the house, and the RF generated by a tiny spark as the circuit switches on/off travels through the air to your phono stage. Could be the refrigerator, or the AC. Something that is mains operated, and has a relay.

This could be a factor, no doubt.

Regarding the TT motor, mine is best running on the same circuit as the amp and preamp.
Peer Gynt

Return to Support Forum