First impression of the Dual Pivot Kit

Re: First impression of the Dual Pivot Kit

Postby Mr_Putty » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:19 pm

I installed my 2nd pivot last night. Here’s the Good the Bad, and the Ugly. In that order.
Construction looked great, impressive finish on all parts. All adjustment screws (2), fitted very tightly. Sound was improved on my modest system. Not earth shaking but overall better detail and less motor noise. Instrument clarity and separation improved. Vocal clarity improved as well. No Regrets about purchase. It must be set about right.
The not so good. The adhesive paper covering on the pad did not want to come off. I had to use a hair dryer on high to soften the grip of the attachment side of the paper and use a single edged razor blade to get it started for removal. I installed everything while the arm was in place. Probably NOT the best idea! I used a small pair of parallel players to hold the bracket while tightening the mounting screw. All went well until I needed to adjust the azimuth. I had set the counter weight pretty close to what was needed. But, the pivot bracket twisted off the arm while I adjusted azimuth... The screws were solidly held, so working them some loosened them enough to try again. Previously I found my tonearm wire was gradually lifting the pivot point near the inner record grooves (less pressure on the plate). So I needed to carefully estimate the pivot force required for the inner grooves. I manually set azimuth with the Prime provided tube resting on the tonearm. Finally, I adjusted the pivot point pressure with the round adjustment weights near the tonearm base. This procedure was tricky, requiring patience and minute counter weight adjusting, but it worked. I also found the best position for my base plate was further to the backside of tonearm (rotated more clockwise) than the instruction photo indicated. The final pivot pressure is just enough to keep the arm stable at the inner grooves. A high five to everyone who has one working!

EDIT: Other ways to remove the paper backing might be to grab it with duct tape, or super glue a small piece of plastic near an edge to get it started. Also, I forgot to mention I did not change my antiskate at all. I’m not sure if I will change it later. FWIW, My Ellington 65, horn presentations are sounding great.
Mr_Putty

Postby Jprod » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:20 am

I have read through as many of the dual pivot posts as I could but I still have one question- is the counterintuitive helpful with the dual pivot kit or a waste of money ?
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:12 am

Jprod wrote:I have read through as many of the dual pivot posts as I could but I still have one question- is the counterintuitive helpful with the dual pivot kit or a waste of money ?

It is a waste of money IMHO when using the dual pivot. I had two of them on my 3DRs before the dual pivot became available. I removed them. You do Not need them at all....That said, this has been discussed here before. You will get a few folks that say it is still useful. It certainly does not hurt anything and can be used to create the load on the second pivot but it is not required in any way. So my recommendation is go buy yourself a couple of awesome LPs instead.
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Jprod » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:34 am

Thanks. I did read the posts where some still used d it so I was confused as to the necessity. I assumed those posters had the CI before they bought the dual pivot. I don’t have either
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby Mr_Putty » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:24 pm

Question about the 2nd pivot plate: I have redone my setup, the 2nd pivot bracket was coming loose and did not want to stay put. I think the lower extension arm should be longer. Of course that would make production more difficult. So, I added some CA to mine (lower foot only) after removing the arm and remounting the bracket. I also noticed a few light scratches starting on the plate and could hear rubbing when I moved the TT arm. I did not notice any rubbing when it was first installed. The post alignment is fine. A lubricant seems like a good idea to me. I am trying a micro fine PTFE powder. Anyone else noticed this scraping noise? I don’t think the pressure is excessive and it is working as music now has more detail for sure.
Mr_Putty

Postby Brf » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:32 pm

Mr_Putty wrote:Question about the 2nd pivot plate: I have redone my setup, the 2nd pivot bracket was coming loose and did not want to stay put. I think the lower extension arm should be longer. Of course that would make production more difficult. So, I added some CA to mine (lower foot only) after removing the arm and remounting the bracket. I also noticed a few light scratches starting on the plate and could hear rubbing when I moved the TT arm. I did not notice any rubbing when it was first installed. The post alignment is fine. A lubricant seems like a good idea to me. I am trying a micro fine PTFE powder. Anyone else noticed this scraping noise? I don’t think the pressure is excessive and it is working as music now has more detail for sure.

Please see the following link http://vpiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10739&p=46801#p46801
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Wax » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:40 pm

Just out of curiosity anyone have a few pics of the dual pivot installed on an older Scout..
B&W 803 Matrix 2
Audio Research LS3
Classe' Audio CA 150
Nitty Gritty RCM
CAL Audio Icon mk II
Audio Alchemy Headphone Amp
Sennheiser HD580
Audioquest Cables
Wax

Postby Stringreen » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:07 am

The CounterIntuitive makes the arm easier to adjust that rear counterweight's center of gravity and vtf. Looking at the cartridge directly in a front view, the arm should lean toward the left...then adjust the screw on the (screw down) the 2nd pivot for proper azimuth....use the Fozgometer....
Stringreen

Previous

Return to Support Forum