First impression of the Dual Pivot Kit

Re: First impression of the Dual Pivot Kit

Postby Dorian » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:48 am

leftside wrote:I calibrated the Fozgometer last weekend and this weekend I used it to setup the azimuth with the Analogue Productions Test LP. I wasn't too far out setting it manually. I just needed to adjust the small screw on the dual-pivot counter-clockwise by one third of a turn. I can't possibly imagine making such small tweaks without the dual-pivot.

The Foz says I have a slight channel imbalance though when playing the mono track. It appears the left channel is slightly stronger by 1 notch on the Foz (1db). I'll investigate further, but for now it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I can simply slightly adjust the balance on the preamp if I really need to.

If you really want to get azimuth dead-on (it sounds like you do), then I strongly recommend the Dr Feikert Adjust+ over the Foz.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby spinblackcircle » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:04 pm

leftside wrote:I calibrated the Fozgometer last weekend and this weekend I used it to setup the azimuth with the Analogue Productions Test LP. I wasn't too far out setting it manually. I just needed to adjust the small screw on the dual-pivot counter-clockwise by one third of a turn. I can't possibly imagine making such small tweaks without the dual-pivot.

The Foz says I have a slight channel imbalance though when playing the mono track. It appears the left channel is slightly stronger by 1 notch on the Foz (1db). I'll investigate further, but for now it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I can simply slightly adjust the balance on the preamp if I really need to.

I think the Foz has shown a channel imbalance for just about every cartridge I've used it on. I've calibrated it many times with the same results. I just do my final adjustments by ear and use it for a ball park adjustment.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby VinBob » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:18 pm

spinblackcircle wrote:

I think the Foz has shown a channel imbalance for just about every cartridge I've used it on. I've calibrated it many times with the same results. I just do my final adjustments by ear and use it for a ball park adjustment.

Indeed - I think the Foz gets you in the ballpark and pretty damn close too but per Dorian, the Dr. Feickert Adjust+ gets you all the way which I still haven't used and set my cartridge up with it even though I purchased it almost a year ago! :oops:

When I spoke to Musical Surroundings on this as it was driving me mad as to why I could never get both channels to read identical, they said that it was almost impossible to do so (maybe with a $10k+ cartridge!) and as long as you have both channels close by 1-3 notches (single lines) then you are good to go...

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 3B-SST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby leftside » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:21 pm

Dorian wrote:If you really want to get azimuth dead-on (it sounds like you do), then I strongly recommend the Dr Feikert Adjust+ over the Foz.

Maybe at a later date. I've made a lot of changes to the analog system this year (new turntable, new cart, dual-pivot, SDS, strobe) and learnt how to install a cart and setup a turntable. I think I'll rest on my laurels for the time being, and enjoy the system as is.
Last edited by leftside on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-4
leftside

Postby leftside » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:24 pm

spinblackcircle wrote:

I did some research last night and it appears this is quite common. I'm quite satisfied with a "perfect" azimuth (according to the Foz) and a slight channel imbalance (according to the Foz).

I was listening with headphones last, and thought I could hear instruments more clearly and better positioned.
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-4
leftside

Postby leftside » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:30 pm

VinBob wrote:
Indeed - I think the Foz gets you in the ballpark and pretty damn close too but per Dorian, the Dr. Feickert Adjust+ gets you all the way which I still haven't used and set my cartridge up with it even though I purchased it almost a year ago! :oops:

When I spoke to Musical Surroundings on this as it was driving me mad as to why I could never get both channels to read identical, they said that it was almost impossible to do so (maybe with a $10k+ cartridge!) and as long as you have both channels close by 1-3 notches (single lines) then you are good to go...

Cheers,
Vin.

Both my channels are pretty much identical for azimuth. It's only when playing the mono track that a slight channel imbalance is detected. According to the specs for my cart it should be "better than .5db" and the Foz is reading 1db. I'm going to leave it at that for the time being, and look forward to another evening of music listening :) My ears certainly don't detect any channel imbalance.
leftside

Postby Dorian » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:30 pm

Enjoy! Your ears are of course the only guide that matters in the end! :D
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby VinBob » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:18 pm

leftside wrote:
VinBob wrote:

Cheers,
Vin.

Both my channels are pretty much identical for azimuth. It's only when playing the mono track that a slight channel imbalance is detected. According to the specs for my cart it should be "better than .5db" and the Foz is reading 1db. I'm going to leave it at that for the time being, and look forward to another evening of music listening :) My ears certainly don't detect any channel imbalance.

Sorry for the mix-up! Sounds like you are pretty much there - enjoy! :)
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 3B-SST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby MikeS » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:05 am

I picked up a Foz a week ago.when first tried it reading was off. Was able to get both channels close but not dead on. When playing Mono track the needle barely moves. When listening my sound improved and I noticed that hiss you get between tracks was all but absent. The Dual Pivot made this job a lot easier. Glad I brought the Foz.
MikeS

Postby leftside » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:12 pm

Sounds like you've done a great job with the Foz Mike. Yes the dual pivot makes the adjustment much easier.
leftside

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum