First impression of the Dual Pivot Kit

Re: First impression of the Dual Pivot Kit

Postby leftside » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:44 pm

Step 2: install the pivot

2. pivot installed.JPG
2. pivot installed.JPG (70.56 KiB) Viewed 577 times
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-4
User avatar
leftside
Senior Member
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:06 pm

Re: First impression of the Dual Pivot Kit

Postby leftside » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:46 pm

3. Position of pivot relative to plate when arm is resting

3. beginning.JPG
3. beginning.JPG (100.87 KiB) Viewed 577 times
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-4
User avatar
leftside
Senior Member
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:06 pm

Re: First impression of the Dual Pivot Kit

Postby leftside » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:48 pm

4. Position of pivot relative to plate when arm/cart is close to spindle (i.e. record has finished playing)


4. end.jpg
4. end.jpg (51.24 KiB) Viewed 577 times
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-4
User avatar
leftside
Senior Member
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:06 pm

Re: First impression of the Dual Pivot Kit

Postby leftside » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:53 pm

Azimuth is adjusted by adjusting the screw attached to the pivot with the supplied allen key. I still need to do this last step once I've reinstalled my cart. This is the only "fiddly" bit to do, but seems much easier than the circular path to hell that is "adjusting the counterweight to adjust VTF, and adjusting counterweight again to adjust azimuth which then messes up the VTF....".

With the dual pivot I'll 1) set the VTF with the counterweight and then 2) I'll set the azimuth with the small screw attached to the pivot.
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-4
User avatar
leftside
Senior Member
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:06 pm

Re: First impression of the Dual Pivot Kit

Postby VinBob » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:10 pm

leftside wrote:Azimuth is adjusted by adjusting the screw attached to the pivot with the supplied allen key. I still need to do this last step once I've reinstalled my cart. This is the only "fiddly" bit to do, but seems much easier than the circular path to hell that is "adjusting the counterweight to adjust VTF, and adjusting counterweight again to adjust azimuth which then messes up the VTF....".

With the dual pivot I'll 1) set the VTF with the counterweight and then 2) I'll set the azimuth with the small screw attached to the pivot.


Thanks leftside and loved the pictures! - One question though, before you perform the above steps, don't you have to load balance the the screw by loading the right hand side weight first to ensure there is not too much weight on the dual pivot screw or do you perform this via the counterweight?

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
User avatar
VinBob
Senior Member
 
Posts: 653
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:09 pm

Re: First impression of the Dual Pivot Kit

Postby Peer Gynt » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:36 pm

VinBob wrote:
Thanks leftside and loved the pictures! - One question though, before you perform the above steps, don't you have to load balance the the screw by loading the right hand side weight first to ensure there is not too much weight on the dual pivot screw or do you perform this via the counterweight?

Cheers,
Vin.

I just took my pics, but leftside’s are better since they’re taken during the install.

FWIW, you can’t load the foot until the cartridge is installed because the cartridge is off the centerline and adds to the twisting couple.

It was easy to add the picture below. You can see the reflection of the tonearm's rear section in the mirror finish of the thrust plate.
Attachments
VTA Tower with Dual Pivot Installed.jpg
VTA Tower with Dual Pivot Installed.jpg (364.24 KiB) Viewed 559 times
Peer Gynt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Re: First impression of the Dual Pivot Kit

Postby leftside » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:15 pm

I'm not quite sure what you mean @vinbob, but I'll post up on here what I needed to do when I reinstall the cart - hopefully this week - although it might be the weekend after next. If you mean adjusting the outer screws/knobs on the left and right side of the arm, I'll probably simply tighten them all the way or extend them all the way and just adjust the little screw on the pivot (pointed to by one of the red arrows) to align the azimuth.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread @Peer Gynt, but also didn't want to start a new one whilst yours is still active.
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-4
User avatar
leftside
Senior Member
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:06 pm

Re: First impression of the Dual Pivot Kit

Postby Peer Gynt » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:48 pm

leftside wrote:Didn't mean to hijack your thread @Peer Gynt, but also didn't want to start a new one whilst yours is still active.


Not at all! Your pictures are a plus.
Now I can add pics too.

It’s all good.
Peer Gynt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Re: First impression of the Dual Pivot Kit

Postby VinBob » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:28 am

leftside wrote:I'm not quite sure what you mean @vinbob, but I'll post up on here what I needed to do when I reinstall the cart - hopefully this week - although it might be the weekend after next. If you mean adjusting the outer screws/knobs on the left and right side of the arm, I'll probably simply tighten them all the way or extend them all the way and just adjust the little screw on the pivot (pointed to by one of the red arrows) to align the azimuth.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread @Peer Gynt, but also didn't want to start a new one whilst yours is still active.


Hi leftside,
Just curious as to whether you got your cart reinstalled and had some additional setup steps to share. In particular, would like to know how you perform the loading steps for the dual pivot and adjust the antiskate too, as I read on another thread that this can be an issue with the dual pivot point, which is another reason I am holding back on this upgrade...

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
User avatar
VinBob
Senior Member
 
Posts: 653
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:09 pm

Re: First impression of the Dual Pivot Kit

Postby leftside » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:49 am

@VinBob

I'm happy to report I have my cart reinstalled and have been listening in the evening all week. Setting the VTF is exactly the same as before - I use a digital scale and rotate the counter weight until I get the desired setting for my cart. The azimuth was a breeze to setup. You just need an appropriate/tiny screwdriver (and for me - a good pair of glasses!) to adjust the second/new pivot.

The anti-skate was a bit of a pain - but I put this down to my inexperience. This is only the third time I've setup a cart. I read many threads on here and watched YouTube videos. I made the incorrect assumption that I'd need less anti-skate, but in the end I actually needed a little more. Reading through threads and videos you will see there are many opinions on setting up the anti-skate. Following this video worked for me (though others - maybe correctly - have seen faults with this method):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIBtZR941Yw

The dual-pivot is the best upgrade I've purchased. Setting up the azimuth/VTF with the single pivot and counterweight was a maddening experience for me. Get the VTF correct, mess it up when you adjust the azimuth. adjust the VTF again, mess up the azimuth, etc.... Combined with the retip from Soundsmith, the easier setup of the cart (due to the dual pivot) and me becoming more experienced at setting up the cart I can honestly say this is the quietest my turntable has ever sounded. I would quite often get some sort of distortion in the right channel - and I wasn't sure if this was due to the record or my setup. Turns out it was my setup (though the retip/serviving from Soundsmith probably also helps).
Edit: Also the ultrasonic cleaning + rinse with a VPI vacuum cleaner ensures your records are as clean as possible so you can focus on your setup. Rainy day here (first in 2 months...) so I'm record cleaning again today.

I'll get a Fozgometer next month as I'm curious to see how "well" I've setup the azimuth compared to what the Fozgometer is telling me. I can't see (hear) how it can be improved, but as we all know in audio, there is always "better"....
Last edited by leftside on Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-4
User avatar
leftside
Senior Member
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:06 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Golear and 3 guests

x