third party arm

third party arm

Postby hebaton » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:50 pm

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and ask your forgiveness in advance if I post in the wrong area.
Your help and guidance will be appreciated.
I own a Classic 3 that I got used a few months ago. I am considering installing a different tonearm. I am looking at the Kuzma 4 Point and the graham Phantom elite.
I would greatly appreciate comments and suggestions from anyone who had experience doing this. Witch of those two would you recommend ? Where can I source an armboard ?
Also did anyone have a chance to compare those to the FatBoy arms. finally if the FatBoy is a worthy option, do I get Gimbal or uni-pivot version ?

Many questions, but considering the costs, do not want to go wrong !

Thanks for your help!

Hebaton
hebaton

Re: third party arm

Postby Brf » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:37 am

I’ve used a Graham 2.2 on a VPI table with excellent results. I’ve also heard the Kuzma 4pt but it was installed on a Brinkmann. Both excellent tonearms and both will take a wide variety of cartridges. If you are thinking of going with a 3rd party arm on your VPI I would also consider both TriPlanar and Reed. You really can’t go wrong with any of the aforementioned tonearms. All are proven winners.

I have not heard the Fatboy, therefore, I can’t give you an opinion or comparison.

With respect to the mounting board, contact VPI and ask them if they have any of the larger blank rectangle mounting boards. Once installed, you merely use the tonearm manufactures mounting template and mark and tap the tonearm surface mount holes. If you are not comfortable, most higher end dealers perform this service.

Fun project, I look forward to reading what you decide. Nice tonearm choices!
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Pianist » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:09 pm

Do most third party arms just drop in place or does one have to modify the mounting area? I have a Prime Signature if that matters.
DALI Epicon 2 speakers; SVS SB13 Ultra sub; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; VPI Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze; Esoteric K-03 SACD; Sennheiserr HD 800S headphones
Pianist

Postby Brf » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:49 am

Pianist wrote:Do most third party arms just drop in place or does one have to modify the mounting area? I have a Prime Signature if that matters.

Most third party tonearrms will more than likely need a new mounting plate. The size and location of the mounting plate will dependent on the tonearm's effective length and design. If you are considering a third party tonearm, contact the manufacture, ask for advice and request a mounting template to help you determine the mounting location prior to purchase etc.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Pianist » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:46 pm

OK, thank you.
DALI Epicon 2 speakers; SVS SB13 Ultra sub; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; VPI Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze; Esoteric K-03 SACD; Sennheiserr HD 800S headphones
Pianist

Postby bpw » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:42 pm

As a former Kuzma dealer I installed several 4Points on non-Kuzma turntables, some involving custom work such as an SME 30/2 and a Basis Debut (the most challenging). In the end they worked flawlessly.
bpw

Return to Support Forum