New Classic Signature..

New Classic Signature..

Postby aztwang » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:42 pm

OK similar to a question below. I am buying my first VPI table, a Classic Signature with SDS and 10" 3D arm that has never even been unpacked. Story goes he bought it and was going to set it up in his new home but that turned out to be a project so it's been sitting, never unpacked, in 3 boxes. Im paying it off tomorrow and hopefully should be here by the weekend.

SO...Should I treat this as a new purchase and set it up and rock & roll or is there something in particular I should do because it's been sitting for roughly 18 months?

Cheers

Don
Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP-- EL34- Marantz TT15-S1-- Sumiko Blackbird
Mobile Fidelity Studio Phono stage-- Blue Jeans Interconnects & Blue Jeans Speaker cable--
Goldenear Triton 1’s
aztwang

Re: New Classic Signature..

Postby jonathanb » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:45 pm

Set it up and go. You'll be fine.
jonathanb

Postby MOON » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:34 pm

Congratulations. Be sure to post a picture. There was a thread on here recently how to lubricate the motor.
Prime 152, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution phono stage , Audio Sensibility silver statement phono cable.
MOON

Postby Peer Gynt » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:40 pm

My Classic was purchased a few months ago. It was in sealed boxes, and considered NOS (New Old Stock). The dealer no longer had the VPI franchise. I got the impression that it had been boxed at the factory about 3 years ago.

I had J ‘n B in Michigan make me a dust cover.

The bearing was very tight, but properly lubed. It has lapped in. It runs very true.

I had to talc the belt to get chatter free start ups.

Apparently the pulley grooves are of different diameters. With the SDS it isn’t an issue. But today, armed with Mr. HW’s instructions, mine ran at correct speed without SDS for the first time. This was achieved by simply running the belt on the top groove of the pulley.

I had a slight hum issue that Mr. HW also solved. The needle bearing is supposed to be grounded internally at the output box on the back. I cleaned that up with a little super fine 1200 grit paper and the hum disappeared.

In my installation leveling was critical.

I had to buy a 140 gram counter weight to get the right tracking force for my cartridge. Mine came with the 160 gram stock counterweight. I could have added the 3 gram headshell weight instead as a cheaper solution.

I bought Soundsmith’s Counterintuitive kit to get azimuth and tracking force honed in. The VPI Dual Pivot kit is said to make the Counterintuitive unnecessary.

The scale that came with my Classic was off by 30% so I used one of my other scales. I have tiny calibration weights from another hobby.

Congratulations! It’s a great table. It’s my first first hand introduction to the first unipivot. I was a bit leery at first, but I am now a believer.
Peer Gynt

Postby mreeter » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:48 am

Congrats on your new Classic Signature! I believe the model is an "SE" version that was offered up as a "Black Friday Special" back in '15. I remember the Table being up for sale, and thinking that someone is going to get a wonderful set-up, at a great price.

I have the same model, always loved the "Classic" looks and tone. N'joy!!!
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby Johnny » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:15 am

Awesome table. IMHO, better than the Prime or Prime Signature
Johnny

Postby jonathanb » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:20 am

Johnny wrote:Awesome table. IMHO, better than the Prime or Prime Signature

I had both the Classic Signature and the Prime Signature for about five days and I found the Prime Signature did everything a tiny bit better than the Classic Signature. I attribute the Prime Signature's advantage to both the 3DR arm (and wiring) and its outboard motor.
jonathanb

Postby Johnny » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:44 am

jonathanb wrote:
Johnny wrote:Awesome table. IMHO, better than the Prime or Prime Signature

I had both the Classic Signature and the Prime Signature for about five days and I found the Prime Signature did everything a tiny bit better than the Classic Signature. I attribute the Prime Signature's advantage to both the 3DR arm (and wiring) and its outboard motor.

The Classic Signature that I heard had the 3D tonearm.
Johnny

Postby jonathanb » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:59 am

So did mine. It is not the same as the 3DR arm: while the 3D arm had Discovery wire, the 3DR tonearm has Nordost Reference wire which sounds better than the Discovery wire.
jonathanb

Postby TCat » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:13 pm

I've got a classic 4 with AT ART-1000 cartridge. My tonearm sounds great! But I'm getting a little low-level hum. Nothing objectionable, but audible at higher volumes. Can someone please point me to the thread where Peer Gynt got his direction on optimizing from HW?
Thank you,

Tom C.
TCat

Next

Return to Support Forum