stillpoints lpi or periphery ring

Re: stillpoints lpi or periphery ring

Postby DeeCee » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:34 am

MOON wrote:Jprod,

Yes 1 tube trap in each corner would be very beneficial. If the traps are the standard 4ft tall you can order the triangle room treatments for the upper corners from another company.

Sometimes you can buy these on Audiogon at great savings. Check there 1st.

If I get bass traps in the future, I will likely go with the following company: http://www.gikacoustics.com/. They seem to spec pretty well, are reasonably attractive and well priced!

Check out the site. Hope this helps!
VPI Scout 2/JMW-9/Benz Micro Wood SL/Graham Slee 3 & PSU1/Sony DVP-S7000/Schiit Audio Bifrost Uber/Sonic Euphoria PLC/Aragon 4004 Mk II/Aerial Acoustics Model 7
DeeCee

Postby Jprod » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:47 pm

DeeCee wrote:
MOON wrote:Jprod,

Yes 1 tube trap in each corner would be very beneficial. If the traps are the standard 4ft tall you can order the triangle room treatments for the upper corners from another company.

Sometimes you can buy these on Audiogon at great savings. Check there 1st.

If I get bass traps in the future, I will likely go with the following company: http://www.gikacoustics.com/. They seem to spec pretty well, are reasonably attractive and well priced!

Check out the site. Hope this helps!

Thanks for all the advice! A lot of people also seem to like real traps.
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby Jprod » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:41 am

topcat84 wrote:I went ahead and ordered one from Music Direct and it’ll be here today. I’ve been impressed with Music Direct. I just ordered it on Tuesday and I’ll receive it today. And even though I have VPI’s HRX record weight and the periphery ring. I’m like BRF, in that, I kind of like collecting the weights. I have several others. They’re just cool looking in my opinion.

Just wondering what your thoughts are ?
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby topcat84 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:36 am

Hi Japrod!
I’ve been away from the house for a while taking care of my dad, but will give my impressions when I return home. Sorry for the delay. Cheers!
McIntosh 2105/McIntosh C28/McIntosh MR78/VPI Classic w/3D Tonearm/VPI Ring Clamp/VPI HRX Weight/Teac TN-300/audio technica AT-LP120-USB/Sony TC-756 RTR/Nakamichi BX-300 Cassette/Marantz SA8005 CD/Soundscraftsmen RP2215-R Equalizer/JBL L200/Klipsch RF-7 II
topcat84

Postby Jprod » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:51 am

topcat84 wrote:Hi Japrod!
I’ve been away from the house for a while taking care of my dad, but will give my impressions when I return home. Sorry for the delay. Cheers!

No worries! Hope all is well with your dad.
Jprod

Postby topcat84 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:10 am

Thanks Japrod! Cheers!
McIntosh 2105/McIntosh C28/McIntosh MR78/VPI Classic w/3D Tonearm/VPI Ring Clamp/VPI HRX Weight/Teac TN-300/audio technica AT-LP120-USB/Sony TC-756 RTR/Nakamichi BX-300 Cassette/Marantz SA8005 CD/Soundscraftsmen RP2215-R Equalizer/JBL L200/Klipsch RF-7 II
topcat84

Postby Lewisranchmike » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:34 pm

Well I took the plunge LPI and now my TTW Copperhead is up for sale, $200. It is a little beat up but still a great weight. PM me. I will put it under Mat’s classified section.

Mike in Austin
VPI PRIME, VAS Nova Gold, TerraStone Footers, Symposium Seque Iso, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Periphery Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility Statement, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby VinBob » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:19 pm

Hey All,

What are your thoughts on the Stillpoints LPI? Any better in your system and if so, what did you hear...?

I just purchased one and am amazed at the build quality and how beautiful it looks - however, I did a quick A/B test with the VPI stainless steel weight (not the clamp version) and TBH, I couldn't hear a major difference between the two :? I have to believe the Stillpoints is doing something better given its design and how much more expensive :shock: this thing is, but I was really expecting an immediate 'WOW I can totally hear a difference" effect, which was not the case with my limited listening yesterday evening. Still early days and I guess I need to do some more listening but just curious as to what everyone else has noticed in replacing their original VPI stainless steel weight...

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby teenage diplomat » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:36 pm

Vin,

There is an extensive thread on the subject of the LP Isolator that dates back to early 2017. Here is the text of my review from about February of that year:

"Well, I've just finished an A/B comparison between the VPI stainless record weight and the Stillpoints LP Isolator on my 12" 3D arm, superplatter equipped HRX. The cartridge was an AT ART7 LOMC. Music: MFSL's press of DSOTM (Speak to Me and Breathe); Audiophile Master Recordings press of Soular Energy (Exactly Like You); and Analogue Production's pressing of Breaking Silence (Tattoo). First, I can happily report that it passed the Hippocrates test: it did no harm. I had been a bit concerned that it would prove too much of a good thing partnered with the superplatter, and everything would sound dull. Nope. If anything, the leading edges of transients were a bit more distinct without adding any unwelcome edge. Next, everything was simply better focused. Instruments were more distinctly placed in the soundstage, and previously masked details revealed themselves. Best example: DSOTM. Across the board, bass was both deeper and more impactful while being tighter focused. Best example: Ray Brown's bass On Soular Energy. Finally, Janis Ian's vocal on Breaking Silence was simply heartbreaking. Now don't get me wrong; I'm still in full possession of my jaw, and returning to the VPI stainless weight wouldn't turn the HRX into a Crosley record destroyer. I'm talking about a meaningful, easily heard difference in degree, not a revolutionary difference in kind. Something similar to moving up a cartridge maker's ladder from the middle to the top offering. If I couldn't afford the Stillpoints weight I would be very happy with VPI's. But I can. So that is what I'll use."

I continue to use the LP Isolator to this day and am extremely happy with it. Hope this helps. Zach
teenage diplomat

Postby VinBob » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:15 pm

Thanks Zach - I guess my experience is very similar to yours - I expected more of an improvement but it certainly doesn’t sound worse. I’ll listen some more but like you, I could easily live with the VPI weight but based on most people’s feedback that this the way to go, I will most likely stick with it....

Edit: Just listened a little more and even had my daughter listen to see if her hearing is better than mine - we both came to the conclusion that the Stillpoints presented things with a little more control and taking the bright edginess of the sound away with maybe a touch more bass control - but I must admit, I am having second thoughts on whether I will keep it especially given the cost...

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum