stillpoints lpi or periphery ring

stillpoints lpi or periphery ring

Postby Jprod » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:08 pm

Hello. I am thinking of tweaking my setup by adding one of the above accessories. I read the mostly universally positive reviews of the stillpoints in the vpi forum.Which should I add first in my system that would give me the greatest bang for my buck ?
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Re: stillpoints lpi or periphery ring

Postby Brf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:48 pm

IMHO and IME, the Stillpoints since it benefits every album.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Bill Stevenson » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:13 pm

While I agree Stillpoints first, you should definitely start saving to add a Periphery Ring at your first opportunity. It flattens warped records - yes. It adds mass and inertia to the platter which can aid in speed stability - yes. It can dampen micro vibrations in the record itself caused by the stylus tracing the grooves, which can improve clarity - yes. It adds to the cool factor and no VPI owner should be without one - yes.
Bill Stevenson

Postby MOON » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:04 pm

I agree with Brf and Bill. Get the stillpoints lp first, then the ring. I run the Waynes 3.8 lb heavier ring . That made a difference also.
Prime 152, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution phono stage , Audio Sensibility silver statement phono cable.
MOON

Postby Brf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:14 pm

Your post is a trick question. You asked us to pick only one when you know the correct answer is both. ;)
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Jprod » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:22 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I theoretically could get both but I like to add or replace things one at a time and listen for a while. Also this way I enjoy looking forward to the next tweek.
As an aside note I am also considering getting some Asc tube traps for the corners if they meet the wife approval factor. Decisions decisions
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby aztwang » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:35 pm

I am obviously late to the party, can someone tell me are there clear advantages using the Stillpoint LPI versus the HRX VPI weight?
Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP-- EL34- Marantz TT15-S1-- Sumiko Blackbird
Mobile Fidelity Studio Phono stage-- Blue Jeans Interconnects & Blue Jeans Speaker cable--
Goldenear Triton 1’s
aztwang

Postby Jprod » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:51 pm

Funny you ask. I was just looking that up myself
Jprod

Postby teenage diplomat » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:36 pm

Back in February 2017 I did a direct comparison of the two weights on a thread devoted to the LP1. I greatly preferred the LP1on my HRX. Music was more alive, more detail was made available. I highly recommend it.
teenage diplomat

Postby Dorian » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:04 pm

Here is the thread on the Stillpoints LPI. I bought one myself after reading that thread and agree that it’s excellent.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8502
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Next

Return to Support Forum