Awakening a TNT after five years in hibernation

Re: Awakening a TNT after five years in hibernation

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:27 pm

suntea wrote:Brf, I have used Baby Powder for a few years and while it does work, I read it may contain carcinogens! Is there a good substitute for Baby Powder? Thanks.

If your turntable is anthropomorphized as a female, don’t use talc near its private parts. :?
Peer Gynt

Postby suntea » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:52 pm

Peer Gynt wrote:
suntea wrote:Brf, I have used Baby Powder for a few years and while it does work, I read it may contain carcinogens! Is there a good substitute for Baby Powder? Thanks.

If your turntable is anthropomorphized as a female, don’t use talc near its private parts. :?

Gee, that's real funny.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2,McIntosh 2300 Pre,McIntosh MC275 VI Amp,McIntosh MVP861 disc player,Tannoy Turnberry Speakers,REL T9i woofers
suntea

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:04 pm

suntea wrote:
Peer Gynt wrote:

Gee, that's real funny.

Being more helpful,
http://www.factsabouttalc.com/#about

Talc has been, and still is, considered safe except for that one application.

It’s a great belt conditioner. When used in this application, it’s quite safe.
Peer Gynt

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:40 pm

Seriously, with any fine powder, like talc, you don’t want to be breathing it just because the very fine particles can lodge in your lungs. That’s never good ... but not specifically carcinogenic.

Since you’ve been using talc, you know how to do it. But for others...

Put a small amount of talc in a quart size baggie. Toss in the belts. Seal the baggie and shake it until the belts are thoroughly covered.

Let the powder settle in the baggie, and gently take the belts out, being careful to not get powder all over everything. You might consider doing this on the porch or in the garage. Seal the baggie and save it for next time. Shake off the belt. There shouldn’t be much powder on it anyway. You don’t need a heavy coating. Just a light dusting is all that’s required.

Mount the belt. A cotton or microfiber cloth can be used to wipe what little dust will settle on the platter.
Peer Gynt

Postby suntea » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:32 pm

This is old news.

Does anyone (else) know of another talc powder other than Johnson and Johnson baby powder that can be used for this purpose?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2,McIntosh 2300 Pre,McIntosh MC275 VI Amp,McIntosh MVP861 disc player,Tannoy Turnberry Speakers,REL T9i woofers
suntea

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:47 pm

You can buy any of the House brands. Equate is the Walmart version.

The biggest differences is the additives, like aloe, corn starch, fragrance, and maybe others.

Fragrance free talc is best. Talc with fragrance is OK too. Corn starch is not recommended.

Yes it is old news. But you asked ....
Peer Gynt

Postby Brf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:27 pm

Once you have talc’d your belt, shake off the excess talc and wash your hands vigorously with soap and water to remove body oils prior to reinstalling the newly powdered belt. You do not want to transfer body oils to the belt(s).
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:36 pm

Brf wrote:Once you have talc’d your belt, shake off the excess talc and wash your hands vigorously with soap and water to remove body oils prior to reinstalling the newly powdered belt. You do not want to transfer body oils to the belt(s).

I actually wear white cotton gloves ... a longstanding habit because Linn platters discolor with handling.

I buy them in 100 glove (50 pair) packages. I throw out pairs when they become soiled.
Peer Gynt

Postby Brf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:57 pm

Peer Gynt wrote:
Brf wrote:Once you have talc’d your belt, shake off the excess talc and wash your hands vigorously with soap and water to remove body oils prior to reinstalling the newly powdered belt. You do not want to transfer body oils to the belt(s).

I actually wear white cotton gloves ... a longstanding habit because Linn platters discolor with handling.

I buy them in 100 glove (50 pair) packages. I throw out pairs when they become soiled.

Also a good practice when handling vacuum tubes.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:00 pm

The body oil issue really varies from person to person.

When in doubt gloves are a safe option.

You may have noticed that some people can corrode a set of guitar strings in one set. Others can use the same strings for a month.

Too bad you can’t play the guitar with white gloves.
Peer Gynt

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum