Hana Cartridge Mounting on Prime Signature

Hana Cartridge Mounting on Prime Signature

Postby glide » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:27 pm

Hi All,
I recently purchased a Hana SL to go with my Prime Signature and am running into an issue with the cartridge mounting. I cannot find a set of screws long enough. I tried the pair that came with the Hana as well as the Soundsmith EZ screws I was using for my previous cartridge and no dice.

Has anyone had any luck or a source for screws for this cart+table combo? Mine has the metal finger lift so additional clearance is required.

Thanks
glide

Re: Hana Cartridge Mounting on Prime Signature

Postby JimTimP » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:41 pm

There's a company called Bolt Depot that will sell screws, metric or SAE (US) in quantities as small as 1. If you know the thread/pitch (metric are standard, so a M4 would only be one pitch) you can order out of several metals. Including Stainless. http://www.boltdepot.com. Not affiliated. Just my go to place for everything fastener related. Oh, and very quick shipping. I get mine in two days. But I am close.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby glide » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:35 pm

JimTimP wrote:There's a company called Bolt Depot that will sell screws, metric or SAE (US) in quantities as small as 1. If you know the thread/pitch (metric are standard, so a M4 would only be one pitch) you can order out of several metals. Including Stainless. http://www.boltdepot.com. Not affiliated. Just my go to place for everything fastener related. Oh, and very quick shipping. I get mine in two days. But I am close.

Thanks! They are local so I gave it a shot.
glide

Postby Pythonman » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:17 pm

I asked the salesman from Music Direct if they would include longer screws for the Hana SH/ VPI Prime package I purchased from them earlier this year. They had the perfect screws and included them for free.
That being said, the Hana cartridges are in dire need of threaded screw holes IMO! They are a great cartridge and those long slots for open screws/nuts is nuts when installing them on a unipivot arm.
VPI Prime, Hana SH, Parasound A21, Parasound P5, Parasound JC3+, Athena AS F2s
Pythonman

Postby 2Chan » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:15 am

The bolt Hana provides are; 2.5mm X .45 X 12mm long. These will be too short for mounting with a Weighted head shell shim. you will need something in the 13 to 14 mm range. hard to find and very frustrating. I was using blue tack for a while. I have some longer bolts on order from https://www.turntableneedles.com/Turnta ... w-Kit.html but im not sure if they're going to work. I'll post if it does.
2Chan

Postby bpw » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:46 pm

About the only screws that fit the Hana are those which come with it since the heads need to be small. If the headshell is too thick for them to reach I'd try one of the sources mentioned.

The Hana SL is a heck of a good sounding cartridge, set up right.
bpw

Postby JustinM » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:58 am

This was disappointing after buying the soundsmith ez kit and not being able to use it at all with the Hana. The Michell phono mounting kit at music direct works with my jmw9 and headshell weight perfectly, I believe there 16mm long.
I wish soundsmith would come out with longer ones so I could eliminate the headshell weight and use the heavier brass screws instead.
JustinM

Postby Stringreen » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:55 pm

Screws like you need are available on Ebay.....I got a packet of different lengths and chose the correct ones from the pack....very inexpensive.
Stringreen

Postby Hemingway » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:59 pm

So to be clear, the Soundsmith kit is not compatible with the JMW tonearms and Hana carts because the length of the Soundsmith screws is too short?
Hemingway

Postby glide » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:50 pm

Stringreen wrote:Screws like you need are available on Ebay.....I got a packet of different lengths and chose the correct ones from the pack....very inexpensive.

Do you have a link? I am also looking for a set of screws that will eliminate the need for a heavier counterweight or head shell weight.
glide

Return to Support Forum