HRX Pulley

Re: HRX Pulley

Postby Mr_Putty » Tue May 29, 2018 2:23 pm

Ellingtonic,
I would get some thin brass shim stock sheets (probably 0.001 inch and thicker). Hobby shops usually have some. Wrap a piece of paper around the shaft and cut it to size. Use that for a template. Cut the shim with sharp sizers and curl the shim around something smaller than your motor shaft to get a close fit. Then put the shim on the motor and gently align the pulley. If its still loose use a thicker stock. If its too tight, trim some of the shim, or sand a flat piece of stock to make it thinner and recut to size. You should get a near perfect fit with some trial and error.
JTA
Mr_Putty

Postby JimTimP » Tue May 29, 2018 3:27 pm

I would also check it's straight on the shaft. I replaced mine on my Prime Sig, and did not have any wobble. I measured runout with a mounted dial indicator and it was less than .025. A bit of adjustment and I got it down to just a bit over .001. Top and bottom. I did not need to shim or otherwise make any alterations.
Last edited by JimTimP on Tue May 29, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby Ellingtonic » Tue May 29, 2018 4:17 pm

I'll play with this again tomorrow or Thursday, but here's the deal. I called VPI and Music Direct to make sure this would work on my Classic 2 SE Black Friday. I'm not going to make shims or screw with this forever. If it doesn't work I'll give VPI the chance to make it right before returning it to Music Direct. I'll keep the extra belt, but would rather spend $70 on records than a piece of plastic that doesn't work and drives me crazy. Life is too short for this. I didn't buy a VPI part or for that matter about ten VPI turntables to DIY shims and parts on my own.
Ellingtonic

Postby Ellingtonic » Wed May 30, 2018 7:18 pm

Either the HRX/ADS pulley i got was defective or I am. After wasting several hours over the last few days, it took me less than 90 seconds to take the stupid thing off, install the original pulley, and verify it worked. This is going back to Music Direct, and I won’t be trying it again. I’d rather listen to music than play with a pulley. Your mileage may vary.
Ellingtonic

Postby Todd Fredericks » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:09 pm

I ordered an HR-X pulley for my older 600 rpm drive from Music Direct. They are getting one from VPI and will get to me in a few weeks. They checked with VPI and said a different one for the 600 rpm motor was not needed. One size fits all. I thought the 300 rpm and 600 rpm pulleys had different sizes?
Todd Fredericks

Postby Brad Maestas » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:30 pm

I was wondering the same thing after getting an HRX pulley for my Classic 4. Initially I was occupied by the separate brass collar on the shaft and how it interacts with it and the pulley. While making sure the pulley was actually all the way down on the shaft it all seated deeper and became a nice tight fit. The first time I fired it up it it seemed perfectly balanced but as soon as I attached a belt and ran the motor it definitely wobbled perceptibly. I marked each of the three holes lightly with a pencil and methodically tried to balance the pulley over the course of a few hours. Ultimately I found that the lower tracks are quite round at every setting but that the top surface of the pulley is ever so slightly out of round so it's not a reliable indicator of its orientation. I found a position that seemed ideal and left it and it's holding pitch perfectly.
Brad Maestas

Postby Waxxy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:06 pm

Todd Fredericks wrote:I ordered an HR-X pulley for my older 600 rpm drive from Music Direct. They are getting one from VPI and will get to me in a few weeks. They checked with VPI and said a different one for the 600 rpm motor was not needed. One size fits all. I thought the 300 rpm and 600 rpm pulleys had different sizes?

They are most certainly a different size! Sheesh!
Waxxy

Previous

Return to Support Forum