Theoretical Best Unipivot Bearing Height

Re: Theoretical Best Unipivot Bearing Height

Postby Johnny » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:38 pm

suntea wrote:
Brf wrote:You can use 3M Silicone rubber feet Bumpons for your tonearm. Most Hardware stores carry them.

Thanks - I will get those.

Any suggestion on what to use for cleaning the cart leads/pins? I have both deoxit and alcohol but have never done this before.

Use Deoxit and a toothpick. Be careful not to stretch open the cartridge pins. No matter what I use to clean my contacts, I always to a final clean with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol.
Johnny

Postby suntea » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:38 pm

Johnny wrote:
suntea wrote:
Brf wrote:You can use 3M Silicone rubber feet Bumpons for your tonearm. Most Hardware stores carry them.

Any suggestion on what to use for cleaning the cart leads/pins? I have both deoxit and alcohol but have never done this before.

Use Deoxit and a toothpick. Be careful not to stretch open the cartridge pins. No matter what I use to clean my contacts, I always to a final clean with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol.

Thanks Johnny!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2,McIntosh 2300 Pre,McIntosh MC275 VI Amp,McIntosh MVP861 disc player,Tannoy Turnberry Speakers,REL T9i woofers
suntea

Postby Brf » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:45 am

Johnny wrote:
suntea wrote:

+1, Instead of a toothpick, you can use an Interdental Floss Brush to clean cartridge pins. They are also excellent for tube sockets.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Peer Gynt » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:26 am

Just as an aside, I’ve always found that the natural action of sliding the tags onto the pins was enough. This is also true for tubes and tube sockets. More damage is done in cleaning than in normal use.

If the tag hasn’t been deformed, it should be fine. If it has been deformed, it’s time to replace it.

That’s one of the problems with tone arm wiring that does not terminate at pins. Of course the advantage is one fewer connection.

If you try to reform a tag, be careful. If you break the tag in an actual tonearm wiring harness, it’s an expensive project to replace the harness, and a tedious/dubious one if you attempt just retermination.
Peer Gynt

Postby Stringreen » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:28 pm

These pins are too fragile to clean with your method. I simply remove the cable, then replace it a couple of times a year for the friction to clean it. Sounds fine to me.
Stringreen

Postby Johnny » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:49 pm

Stringreen wrote:These pins are too fragile to clean with your method. I simply remove the cable, then replace it a couple of times a year for the friction to clean it. Sounds fine to me.

Have you ever tried cleaning the cartridge pins with an Interdental Floss Brush? They are very gentle and pose less risk than repeatedly unplugging and reinserting the pins. IME, most cartridge accidents happen when inserting the cartridge pins
Attachments
IB.jpg
IB.jpg (15.06 KiB) Viewed 320 times
Johnny

Postby Peer Gynt » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:54 pm

Johnny wrote:
Stringreen wrote:These pins are too fragile to clean with your method. I simply remove the cable, then replace it a couple of times a year for the friction to clean it. Sounds fine to me.

Have you ever tried cleaning the cartridge pins with an Interdental Floss Brush? They are very gentle and pose less risk than repeatedly unplugging and reinserting the pins. IME, most cartridge accidents happen when inserting the cartridge pins

There is NO reason to clean the pins “repeatedly.”
Only a certifiable (insert noun here) would pull tags on perfectly good installed cartridge to clean the tags.
Peer Gynt

Postby Johnny » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:02 pm

Peer Gynt wrote:
Johnny wrote:

There is NO reason to clean the pins “repeatedly.”
Only a certifiable (insert noun here) would pull tags on perfectly good installed cartridge to clean the tags.

If you have to pull the tags off once for any reason, why not clean them at the same time. It is no different than tube pins. Yes, reinserting does provide some cleaning, but a thorough deoxit cleaning provide a much better contact. I've had what I thought was a bad tube which turned out to be dirty pins.
Johnny

Postby Peer Gynt » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:11 pm

It certainly depends on your environment.

You may be in a nasty environment.

My stuff lives at about 72 F year round, with RH controller to stay in 40% to 55% range.

I’ve known guys in Maylasia who had serious issues due to climate.

In the vinyl end of this hobby there are a lot of things that people do that I don’t get.
Peer Gynt

Postby Johnny » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:37 am

Peer Gynt wrote:It certainly depends on your environment.

You may be in a nasty environment.

My stuff lives at about 72 F year round, with RH controller to stay in 40% to 55% range.

I’ve known guys in Maylasia who had serious issues due to climate.

In the vinyl end of this hobby there are a lot of things that people do that I don’t get.

I hear your PG, but obsessively clean connections is one thing that I subscribe to and can hear the difference it makes.
Johnny

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum