So depressed, chronic pops clicks and crackles

Re: So depressed, chronic pops clicks and crackles

Postby theeng » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:23 pm

Golear wrote:[

I think dish soap is designed to leave a residue - to make glass sparkle. I can taste dish soap when I drink wine and spirits, no matter how much the glass is rinsed out. So I put a bit of what I will be drinking into the glass, spread it around so that it removes the residue, discard it, then pour. At restaurants and bars, I ask that refills be put into the same glass. Some places say OK, others refuse may be because of health regulations.

For LPs, may be one has to rinse with isopropyl alcohol, then distilled water?

Part of what you say is true - hand wash dish detergents leave residue because of the composition and concentration. Dawn and the like contain products that are intended to be kind to your hands, be usable with tap-water and most use way too-much. They are very difficult to fully rinse. The 'rinse-aid' in dishwashers is intended to work with tap-water (that contains soluble salts) and lower the surface tension of the rinse-water, so the water sheets and dries w/o spots common with tap water, but some residue is inevitable.

These residential products are not intended for record cleaning. If you use the right chemistry with the right composition at the right concentration that is prepared with distilled/deionized (DIW) water they will clean and rinse easily with DIW leaving no residue. Recall I wrote a book on just that.

Otherwise, I also do what you do, keep the same glass, its clean and the wine tastes better with the 2nd fill.

Neil
theeng

Postby leftside » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:50 pm

theeng wrote:
leftside wrote:The mat punches all my tickets - provides anti-static and just the right amount of damping - way less than the rubber mat, but more and in a more consistent manner than leather. And, I use both medium and low compliance cartridges.

I asked if they could make me a 12 x 12 mat in a circle with a hole in the middle for a spindle, and they said "no".

That is not a big surprise. That is not their market. I bought this mat (18"x24" Grey)- https://www.amazon.com/Bertech-Three-La ... FQPDI&th=1

I took a 12" record mat and placed it on the ESD mat, and used it as a template to draw the circle and the center hole. Then used a pair of sharp scissors (cut easily & cleanly) to cut the outer circle. The center hole I used a box cutter. The center hole does not need to be perfect; you want a tight fit to the spindle since that is the conductive path to the platter ground. Given the 18x24 there is material left over for either another platter mat or to use as a ESD mat.

FYI - the mat comes rolled up and after cutting it will take some time for the mat to lay flat on its own. Otherwise with the VPI reflex clamp it will lay flat with the record on top.

Nice
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S Preamp Supratek Cortese LCR Amps McIntosh MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Custom Glenn 300B, Custom 1101 Audio V6 Speakers Dynaudio Confidence C1 Platinum Headphones LCD-4
leftside

Postby Golear » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:46 pm

@theeng wrote:
Otherwise, I also do what you do, keep the same glass, its clean and the wine tastes better with the 2nd fill.

Oh yeah. If you want in instant upgrade to your wine/spirit, rinse out the glass with the wine/spirit, discard, then pour. And then play LPs. It's an instant upgrade to your system, too.

Cheers! And happy Thanksgiving.

(Drink in moderation, yada yada yada. Seriously, drink in moderation. Quality over quantity.)
Golear

Postby theeng » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:02 am

[quote="Golear"

Oh yeah. If you want in instant upgrade to your wine/spirit, rinse out the glass with the wine/spirit, discard, then pour. And then play LPs. It's an instant upgrade to your system, too.

Cheers! And happy Thanksgiving.[/quote]

And a happy Thanksgiving to you! I was enjoying Melody Garot and a 2018 Craftwork Cab; not bad, easy to drink; could use 1-2 yrs for the tannins to better develop; not expensive.

Best wishes for the holidays,
theeng

Postby Golear » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:09 pm

There are many wineries around here. The soil and climate is ideal for Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. There's one label that I particularly like: Stoller.

I like to age my wines, too. It started when I had a few bottles, and forgot about them until 5 years later. I was in a hot place (fortunately not too hot), so the wine might have aged like a 7-8 year wine stored in a proper wine cellar. I was amazed how much better they tasted - they weren't premium (Rothschild Mouton Cadet!), but with age, they were really fun. All the more fun because of how cheap they were.
Golear

Previous

Return to Support Forum