Cueing mechanism too short after arm swap

Cueing mechanism too short after arm swap

Postby Leonel » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:53 pm

Just swapped my unipivot tonearm for a Gymbal and now the freaking cueing lifting mechanism is too short , is there a solution for that or does vpi offer a different lengths lifting mechanism ?
Thanks
Leonel

Re: Cueing mechanism too short after arm swap

Postby coglesby » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:51 pm

Sending a picture will help.
AT-ART9 or DV 17d3 Karat > VPI Classic 3 Tonearm > VPI Aries (1) > Belden 1694A > Liberty B2B > Sansui G-9000 > 12ga BlueJeans Cables > GoldenEar Triton Ones
coglesby

Postby Lewisranchmike » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:13 pm

Leonel wrote:Just swapped my unipivot tonearm for a Gymbal and now the freaking cueing lifting mechanism is too short , is there a solution for that or does vpi offer a different lengths lifting mechanism ?
Thanks

You should have received a small rubber disc that will fit on the bottom of your arm and meet the cueing mechanism if i read your problem correctly.

Mike
Avenger Reference MK1(Stillpoints Ultra 5), Fat Boy Unipivot, VAS Nova Gold, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility interconnects, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby Leonel » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:10 pm

Lewisranchmike wrote:
Leonel wrote:Just swapped my unipivot tonearm for a Gymbal and now the freaking cueing lifting mechanism is too short , is there a solution for that or does vpi offer a different lengths lifting mechanism ?
Thanks

You should have received a small rubber disc that will fit on the bottom of your arm and meet the cueing mechanism if i read your problem correctly.

Mike

Yes , you did.
Unfortunately I didn’t get that small rubber disc.
Leonel

Postby Lewisranchmike » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:07 pm

Leonel wrote:
Lewisranchmike wrote:
Thanks

Mike

Yes , you did.
Unfortunately I didn’t get that small rubber disc.

I know this is typical but it was very small and I pretty much overlooked it. Did you check the packaging material that came with arm? If no luck contact VPI or maybe go the Home Depot or maybe a craft store like Michael’s and look for a substitute. It is basically a very small rubber cylinder. You should find a spot on bottom of arm that could guide you as to size..

Hope it helps:O)

Mike
Avenger Reference MK1(Stillpoints Ultra 5), Fat Boy Unipivot, VAS Nova Gold, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility interconnects, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby Fishflood » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:46 pm

I have the same problem. I have found no fix. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm using an Aries 1 and it has something to do with the geometry although the pivot to spindle is dead on? Tried everything except gluing on a longer arm piece which a VPI dealer suggested. Even with the bottom pad, the arm will sometime tip off that pad and fall onto the centerweight.... which is horrible.

I ended up taking the cueing mechanism completely off the arm and just cueing by hand which you get very good at very fast. I used to have a Well Tempered Amadeaus and that's how you cue. It's very easy. You just put the side of your hand on the plinth so that your finger horizontally can be raised to lift the arm. It take just a little practice.

I think the unipivot actually sounds better without the cueing device attached but that may just be my imagination. It was definitely true for a Moerch Unipivot I used to have.

The arm and VTA base retail for $5200 freakin dollars. It's really sad that something like this could happen with such an expensive arm. I'd be parting out the table and looking elsewhere..... but dammit it sounds good!
Aries 1/Fatboy Uni/Ann Mighty 103R Malachite Body/SOTA Condor Motor and Controller
Lamm LP2/Sculpture A SUT
Lamm LL2.1
Herron M1A Monos
Harbeth M30.1
Fishflood

Postby Leonel » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:46 pm

And that is not the end of my problems ,the freaking weight that came with it doesn’t allow me to set my VTF down to 2.0g , as I understand they were supposed to send a plate that add weight to the counterweight .
I’m sorry but things are getting pretty sloppy in that place ….
Leonel

Postby Fishflood » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:10 am

Leonel wrote:And that is not the end of my problems ,the freaking weight that came with it doesn’t allow me to set my VTF down to 2.0g , as I understand they were supposed to send a plate that add weight to the counterweight .

They offer a number of different size counterweights now, rather than adding plates. You just need to call and order the correct one.
Aries 1/Fatboy Uni/Ann Mighty 103R Malachite Body/SOTA Condor Motor and Controller
Lamm LP2/Sculpture A SUT
Lamm LL2.1
Herron M1A Monos
Harbeth M30.1
Fishflood

Postby madrac » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:21 am

Leonel wrote:And that is not the end of my problems ,the freaking weight that came with it doesn’t allow me to set my VTF down to 2.0g , as I understand they were supposed to send a plate that add weight to the counterweight .

Same thing happened to me when I got my Gimbal Fatboy last year. Called them and got the plates (2) sent out ASAP. Wasn't a big deal - just a bit inconvenient - but somewhat understandable considering the on-going COVID situation with folks out, VPI focusing on making Covid-related items, etc.
VPI Classic 1-Fatboy, VTA tower,periphery ring,PE Eagle & RR, HW16.5, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's SUT, Rogue RP5 & ST100, Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Rythmik E15HPx2, Audio Sensibility, Blue Jeans ICs, Symposium & Isoacoustics
madrac

Return to Support Forum