SOTA Total Eclipse Package, Prime Upgraders Check In

SOTA Total Eclipse Package, Prime Upgraders Check In

Postby Robes » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:23 am

Hello All-

I have read several threads on the SOTA upgrade. I would appreciate any input from those with a Prime (maybe a Prime Sig too?). Bought my (fake) walnut Prime
in 2017 new and haven't plugged it in yet. In the process of setting it all up including building the cabinet/platforms for TT & motor. I will share this build later. Looking for help on exactly what "extra" components I need (besides the Total eclipse package), wiring, pulleys.

I'm making key upgrades within reason & expense at this point that will influence the build of the TT/motor platforms (both individual platforms), yet both integrated into a cabinet encompassing all.

I decided to bite on the SOTA VPI "total eclipse package" after readings on this forum. I have corresponded with Donna & Christan. I've always read replies about their great service. I'm trying to get current technical and price info about exactly what I need for the upgrade.

There has been considerable price increases in the upgrade since the early threads (understandable), also changes & additions (tweaks) to the components up to the last major threads here on the topic.

So, my replies from SOTA were essentially, too busy- will get back; you need the "complete (total) eclipse package". Christan alluded to hidden expenses by losing me in comparisons between Hurst pod vs SOTA pods yet - a last remark: You need the total package. From here I go back to all the VPI threads and do find what I missed. The tot. package does not include a pod for the motor, although the pic of the package shows a motor in a SOTA pod.

Now I know, but I asked them for a price for the package including their pod and it was never addressed- I don't get it. I also asked that I would like to include all outside of the package options that I may need eg. pulley, harness wire from Condor to motor for feedback loop. They don't seem to want to offer a complete package price & when asked say you need the tot. package.

As I stated to SOTA, I want to go with the SOTA pod and Tot. eclipse package. Reason is I'll sell my never used new Hurst motor complete rather then have it machined & thinking it will speed things up for me, & I need to get this going in my life time.

I'm hoping those who have upgraded their prime with the SOTA can tell me what extra's they had to order, especially those who got the SOTA pod/motor. I just want to give them a list of what I need so they can send it all to me as a complete package without surprises. It shouldn't be this hard but I feel I need to give them a list so I receive everything in one shipment. I don't see why, with going with their pod they're not able to put it all together.

I really never have been told I'm hard to work with, no, I'm too nice and get bull dozed. I need to get a list of what I need and give it to them. Appreciate any help here- :|

Robes
Robes

Re: SOTA Total Eclipse Package, Prime Upgraders Check In

Postby tom collins » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:53 am

No disrespect intended, just want to understand, but you are saying you have never played the table?
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring, weight, 12.0, 12.7, 3d arms, SDS, SRA platform; Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, SS Gold Denon, Grado ME+ carts; Cary PH302/2 phono-pre; Cary 30i EL34 int. amp; Coincident Franks and preamp; Devore 88 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby Robes » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:24 pm

Correct. Rebuilding/remodeling and finally to the point of setting up the stereo. A complex build of the TT cabinet through wood floors which I'll have separate platforms for the motor and TT independent of each other. Both pedestals supporting the TT & motor sunk into the ground with poured concrete pits with stay supports before entering the ground floor sound room. I plan to show this at a later date but need to decide on upgrades I will make based on the reviews of other Prime owners to get the exacting heights of the motor pedestal to match that of the TT's.

I don't need to hear it to know I would make this upgrade, I believe the many reviews and noted VPI owners on this and other forums to verify I would make this upgrade. So why not incorporate the measurements into the build before, rather then redo everything to incorporate it later?
Robes

Postby edw » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:45 pm

I have a Prime and am using the Total Eclipse package. Generally speaking, it consists of 3 parts: the motor pod with BLCD motor and pulley; the Condor; and the Roadrunner. The only option that was available at the time for me was to get the SOTA motor pod with BLDC motor or to send them my VPI motor pod so that they could drill it to accept the BLDC motor.
edw

Postby edw » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:48 pm

Robes wrote:I plan to show this at a later date but need to decide on upgrades I will make based on the reviews of other Prime owners to get the exacting heights of the motor pedestal to match that of the TT's.

My recommendation is to have some adjustment available as you may at some point upgrade the feet for the TT and/or motor pod.
edw

Postby Robes » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:57 am

Thanks for your reply edw-

My plan is to get the BLCD motor with the SOTA pod, later likely to sell my never used Hurst motor and pod. I have already upgraded the TT feet to EdenSound VPI TerraCone- so that height is known. The TT pedestal will not be adjustable & simply wanted to upgrade feet and went with TeraCones.

I will have the ability to raise & lower the motor/pod as well as move it horizontally, so the height/width of the SOTA pod isn't that much of a problem especially since I plan to have it in hand before any set height is made to the motor platform. I'll also have my original Hurst so I'll set the motor pedestal at a median value between the two motor pods that will then be adjustable up or down & of course horizontally.

"it consists of 3 parts: the motor pod with BLCD motor and pulley; the Condor; and the Roadrunner." This I don't understand, your saying with the tot. eclipse pkg. you get the BLCD motor and a pod. That pod would be the $450 SOTA pod? some other pod? I've read that there is no pod only the BLCD motor included in the Total package, the SOTA pod being an extra $450 and likely the pulley and some wiring extra. Do you have the motor & pod from SOTA for the total pkg price ? Christans reply to me was:

"Our motor housing is 425.00. Install of the motor and making wiring looks $125.00 with our motor housing.
Complete eclipse package $1100.00.
Machine and install in your motor housing $250.00 includes all parts. Iec plate, pulley to use two vpi belts. Wiring loom and 3 pin mic connector.
You need our standard pulley not long pulley.

Let me know if you have any questions."

Maybe you could help shed some light on this, this is what I don't understand. Complete package 1100. Thats with the SOTA pod and it's wiring?
Robes

Postby VinBob » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:41 am

Robes wrote:Thanks for your reply edw-

My plan is to get the BLCD motor with the SOTA pod, later likely to sell my never used Hurst motor and pod. I have already upgraded the TT feet to EdenSound VPI TerraCone- so that height is known. The TT pedestal will not be adjustable & simply wanted to upgrade feet and went with TeraCones.

I will have the ability to raise & lower the motor/pod as well as move it horizontally, so the height/width of the SOTA pod isn't that much of a problem especially since I plan to have it in hand before any set height is made to the motor platform. I'll also have my original Hurst so I'll set the motor pedestal at a median value between the two motor pods that will then be adjustable up or down & of course horizontally.

"it consists of 3 parts: the motor pod with BLCD motor and pulley; the Condor; and the Roadrunner." This I don't understand, your saying with the tot. eclipse pkg. you get the BLCD motor and a pod. That pod would be the $450 SOTA pod? some other pod? I've read that there is no pod only the BLCD motor included in the Total package, the SOTA pod being an extra $450 and likely the pulley and some wiring extra. Do you have the motor & pod from SOTA for the total pkg price ? Christans reply to me was:

"Our motor housing is 425.00. Install of the motor and making wiring looks $125.00 with our motor housing.
Complete eclipse package $1100.00.
Machine and install in your motor housing $250.00 includes all parts. Iec plate, pulley to use two vpi belts. Wiring loom and 3 pin mic connector.
You need our standard pulley not long pulley.

Let me know if you have any questions."

Maybe you could help shed some light on this, this is what I don't understand. Complete package 1100. Thats with the SOTA pod and it's wiring?

From what I know and reading above, you need the eclipse package at $1100 regardless. Then it comes down to using your motor pod or theirs. If you use yours, they charge $250 to install the motor - if you use theirs, it’s an additional $425 (motor pod) plus $125 to install the motor and wire into their pod. I would have thought the $425 would include their motor and wiring at that price - I would just reconfirm as that additional cost seems a little unreasonable to me.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 & LPS | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 4B3 Cubed | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Martin Logan Dynamo 800x | Auralic Altair G1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby edw » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:19 am

Robes wrote:"it consists of 3 parts: the motor pod with BLCD motor and pulley; the Condor; and the Roadrunner." This I don't understand, your saying with the tot. eclipse pkg. you get the BLCD motor and a pod. That pod would be the $450 SOTA pod? some other pod? I've read that there is no pod only the BLCD motor included in the Total package, the SOTA pod being an extra $450 and likely the pulley and some wiring extra. Do you have the motor & pod from SOTA for the total pkg price ?

I have the SOTA motor and pod. It was additional to the Total Eclipse Package. If I had to do it again, I would likely choose to have my Prime motor pod drilled to accept the BLDC motor as it seems the Prime motor pod dissipates heat better.

VinBob wrote:From what I know and reading above, you need the eclipse package at $1100 regardless. Then it comes down to using your motor pod or theirs. If you use yours, they charge $250 to install the motor - if you use theirs, it’s an additional $425 (motor pod) plus $125 to install the motor and wire into their pod. I would have thought the $425 would include their motor and wiring at that price - I would just reconfirm as that additional cost seems a little unreasonable to me.

Correct.
edw

Postby bhjazz » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:31 pm

VinBob wrote:From what I know and reading above, you need the eclipse package at $1100 regardless. Then it comes down to using your motor pod or theirs. If you use yours, they charge $250 to install the motor - if you use theirs, it’s an additional $425 (motor pod) plus $125 to install the motor and wire into their pod. I would have thought the $425 would include their motor and wiring at that price - I would just reconfirm as that additional cost seems a little unreasonable to me.
Cheers,
Vin.

I spoke with Donna a month or two back. Your prices are close for using your own motor pod: the custom plate which replaces the IEC plate on the VPI motor pod will cost an additional $50. So using your own motor pod will cost $300 as of when I spoke with her.
(Another cost will be shipping your motor pod there in the first place.)

Here are the rest of my notes, filtering just for the total eclipse package. I wish I would have dated them...!

current price for total eclipse package: 1100
current price for SOTA motor pod for VPI: 450
pulley - if you need the taller one - 50

total eclipse package with sota motor pod: 1100+450 = 1600
total eclipse package with VPI motor pod: 1100+300 = 1400 + shipping

During my call she did *not* mention the additional $125 of actually wiring up their pod, so that may be why the quoted prices are different. Only Sota can clean up this confusion.

To me, the hassle of shipping your own motor pod there for the work seems to elicit a lower cost. (I can also remove all internal parts myself.)

Robes - I hope I haven't confused your situation. You just need the total eclipse package, their pod (your request, I believe) and a credit card. I'm amazed they mentioned they were too busy. (That always makes me cringe.) If you are working with them in email, try calling instead. They never returned my emails so I called. Might as well be direct. They should know their product packages well enough to give you an actual quote on the phone, as well as turnaround times and additional tidbits like shipping weight, etc. I would ask this question of Donna: if I give you my credit card, can I expect everything I need which I can take out of the box and connect to my tt and listen to music? If not, what else do I need, then?

Good luck and keep us posted!
bhjazz

Postby Robes » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:22 pm

@ VinBob, edw and bhjazz. Thanks for your input everyone. I will call to get a quote, at least I know for sure what I'll need now. I'll have to wait till Monday but that'll do, I'll reply back with what I go with-

You know, I think I will just send in my motor pod. So, do I remove motor and all wiring, or do I leave any of the wiring? Or, do they want to remove it?

....and does anyone know, roughly, what I should insure the package for- pricewise?

Thank you all-
Robes :mrgreen:
Robes

Next

Return to Support Forum