Why is my Prime que so fast?

Re: Why is my Prime que so fast?

Postby Vear » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:53 pm

Ghost rider wrote:This is something I've noticed with my new Prime. The needle drops as fast as I lower it. I just lower it slowly in some ways giving me some control. This needle with a maximum of antiskate will move quickly toward the center of the record until it catches a groove.

My Scout on the other hand has a deley when lowering. You would think this is the correct way. Oddly on this TT with a Shure V15 having antiskate on when I lower the needle on to a mirror to get some SRA shots causes the needle to skate toward the outside of the record.

I know two different issues .

This is an easy fix if you have the small tipped philips & flathead drivers needed to take apart the assembly. My Scoutmaster cue lever (open bottom) had developed the same issue. The tonearm has been dropping slowly as it should for months now since I addressed it. To give you an idea these are the steps as I recall. Getting the silicone into the piston channels is the important part and this is the most effective way I found to do it:

1) Order the 300,000cst syringe from turntable basics.

http://turntablebasics.com/silicone.html

2) Remove the curved arm rest from the lift mechanism so that you can remove the lift mechanism from tonearm base.
3) Remove the top cover of the lift mechanism (you will need very tiny screwdriver tips and it helps to have a jewelers loupe). Make note of the orientation/position to make it easier when reinstalling.
4) Once top is removed slide piston up so that you can pull out the lift lever from the side.
5) Once lever and piston are out clean all of the old silicone off. You will notice that the piston has a couple of recessed channels.
6) Re-insert the piston and push it far down with something until you can see the channel through the side hole where the lift lever would normally go in. When you see the channel take the syringe and inject the silicone stopping when you see it come out of the hole on the other side.
7) Push the piston down (or up) until you see the next channel and repeat the procedure, injecting silicone until it comes out the other side.
Injecting silicone from the top or bottom will not do the trick. The silicone has to be in the channels of the piston.
8) When all channels in the piston have been injected with silicone push the piston up so that you can re-insert the lift lever.
9) Re-install the top cap and wipe all excess silicone from the unit.
10) Re-install the assembly and adjust the arm rest.

Then sit back and enjoy watching your arm slowly descend onto you records even when you flick the cue lever down fast.
Vear

Postby Ghost rider » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:37 pm

Vear wrote:
Ghost rider wrote:This is something I've noticed with my new Prime. The needle drops as fast as I lower it. I just lower it slowly in some ways giving me some control. This needle with a maximum of antiskate will move quickly toward the center of the record until it catches a groove.

My Scout on the other hand has a deley when lowering. You would think this is the correct way. Oddly on this TT with a Shure V15 having antiskate on when I lower the needle on to a mirror to get some SRA shots causes the needle to skate toward the outside of the record.

I know two different issues .

This is an easy fix if you have the small tipped philips & flathead drivers needed to take apart the assembly. My Scoutmaster cue lever (open bottom) had developed the same issue. The tonearm has been dropping slowly as it should for months now since I addressed it. To give you an idea these are the steps as I recall. Getting the silicone into the piston channels is the important part and this is the most effective way I found to do it:

1) Order the 300,000cst syringe from turntable basics.

http://turntablebasics.com/silicone.html

2) Remove the curved arm rest from the lift mechanism so that you can remove the lift mechanism from tonearm base.
3) Remove the top cover of the lift mechanism (you will need very tiny screwdriver tips and it helps to have a jewelers loupe). Make note of the orientation/position to make it easier when reinstalling.
4) Once top is removed slide piston up so that you can pull out the lift lever from the side.
5) Once lever and piston are out clean all of the old silicone off. You will notice that the piston has a couple of recessed channels.
6) Re-insert the piston and push it far down with something until you can see the channel through the side hole where the lift lever would normally go in. When you see the channel take the syringe and inject the silicone stopping when you see it come out of the hole on the other side.
7) Push the piston down (or up) until you see the next channel and repeat the procedure, injecting silicone until it comes out the other side.
Injecting silicone from the top or bottom will not do the trick. The silicone has to be in the channels of the piston.
8) When all channels in the piston have been injected with silicone push the piston up so that you can re-insert the lift lever.
9) Re-install the top cap and wipe all excess silicone from the unit.
10) Re-install the assembly and adjust the arm rest.

Then sit back and enjoy watching your arm slowly descend onto you records even when you flick the cue lever down fast.
Thanks for the description, I feel like I completely understand what needs to be done. The one thing that's a little unnerving is this quote from Turntable Basics. I know they need to state it and I'm pretty sure is a none issue.

"Because cueing mechanisms were designed differently, methods for disassembling them will vary. It is up to the consumer to figure out how to disassemble the cueing mechanism, and know that doing this will probably void the manufacturer's warranty. Turntable Basics cannot guarantee that every cueing mechanism can be serviced successfully. General Instructions are included."

I just ordered mine.
Ghost rider

Postby edw » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:38 pm

I used this a while ago on my lifter. Bought from amazon. But for some reason sold out for awhile there.

But see:
https://www.activepowersports.com/team- ... medium=cse
edw

Postby Ghost rider » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:28 pm

Got my silicone and took it apart and got it working correctly now. It was a little tricky getting it to function afterwards. Just have to pay attention to how the piston interacts with the level.
Ghost rider

Postby seamonster » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:26 pm

I took apart the lifter and packed the cylinder and grooved piston with the 300,000 cst fluid from turntablebasics. I managed to not coat the entire room with this messy stuff. The descent has slowed, but works best if you just tip the cueing lever enough to get the descent started on its own. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the 500,000 cst fluid.
seamonster

Postby Ghost rider » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:31 pm

seamonster wrote:I took apart the lifter and packed the cylinder and grooved piston with the 300,000 cst fluid from turntablebasics. I managed to not coat the entire room with this messy stuff. The descent has slowed, but works best if you just tip the cueing lever enough to get the descent started on its own. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the 500,000 cst fluid.

I thought someone said it was even slower. It is working like the cue on my Scout now. It goes about half way quickly pauses and continues on down, slower but faster than I'd like. Now that I have this I can live with it. I still think VPI should have sent me enough to get it done.
Ghost rider

Postby seamonster » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:51 pm

Yes, 500,000 should be slower. When two of my three Prime cueing devices were new, they lowered very, very slowly. Couldn't have been better. My repair didn't produce the hoped-for result, but, I can live with it. However, if someone confirmed excellent results with 500,000, I'd get some. I'm wanting to know that the arm will still descend using such a high viscosity.
seamonster

Postby edw » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:35 pm

seamonster wrote:I'm wondering if anyone has tried the 500,000 cst fluid.

Yes, it works fine.
edw

Postby seamonster » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:50 pm

Thanks, edw! I checked the website you posted about.
seamonster

Previous

Return to Support Forum