JMW10 3D setup.

Re: JMW10 3D setup.

Postby Ghost rider » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:10 pm

Brf wrote:
Ghost rider wrote:Well the arc between the two are close or I got lucky or I have a tractor made for a Prime with a JMW9 arc.

A broke clock is right twice a day, sort of thing.

Arc protractors are designed for a specific spindle to pivot distance. Your null points and alignment will be off. Did you order a MintLP protractor with a 258mm S2P distance?

I just looked closely at the two closely and they are different. I just got lucky I used the VPI to set the overhang and made the null areas look eq/eq on the JMW9 tractor.

So today using a good forehead light I looked with my bare eyes and it looked good. I know if I get a loop and look again it will be off a tiny bit and I'll try to change it and it will take me hours to get it perfect or possibly as good as it is now. Sometime I need to leave well enough alone.
Attachments
Best tractor JMW 10 3D.jpg
Best tractor JMW 10 3D.jpg (207.84 KiB) Viewed 171 times
Ghost rider

Postby Brf » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:43 pm

Are you saying that when you aligned the cartridge using the MintLP designed for the JMW 9, and then switched to the MintLP JMW 10-3D, your stylus tip traced the arc with the cantilever aligned at both null points the same for both protractors. Is that correct?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Ghost rider » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:49 pm

jonathanb wrote:I believe each complete turn of the VTA dial equals .79mm (1/32 in.)
I have been able to confirm .79mm looks correct. Today I back to not using a mat. My Herbie's mat is 4mm you can see how I'm able to use one of my shims to maintain correct heights.

The mark just below "with mat" is where I determined to be my main height with the mat. I set that on the lower level of the arm base and the pencil mark is the bottom of the adjustable stage supporting the arm. I made a 4mm line below the original line, lowered the tower down to the line it was 5 complete turns, No guessing about it. I'd say your .79mm is spot on. Thank you for posting it.

My shim serves double duty. If I flip I can check the level of my platter. A laser line splits the top of the shim with no mat and the line with 4mm down is with a mat. Just by chance I set the laser on a record shelf.
Attachments
trusty shim.jpg
trusty shim.jpg (169.28 KiB) Viewed 170 times
Ghost rider

Postby Johnny » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:52 pm

Ghost rider wrote:
Brf wrote:
Ghost rider wrote:Well the arc between the two are close or I got lucky or I have a tractor made for a Prime with a JMW9 arc.

A broke clock is right twice a day, sort of thing.

Arc protractors are designed for a specific spindle to pivot distance. Your null points and alignment will be off. Did you order a MintLP protractor with a 258mm S2P distance?

I just looked closely at the two closely and they are different. I just got lucky I used the VPI to set the overhang and made the null areas look eq/eq on the JMW9 tractor.

So today using a good forehead light I looked with my bare eyes and it looked good. I know if I get a loop and look again it will be off a tiny bit and I'll try to change it and it will take me hours to get it perfect or possibly as good as it is now. Sometime I need to leave well enough alone.

Sorry, it’s impossible that two arc protractors with different spindle to distance measurements produce the same results for a single tonearm cartridge combo. Think about it as a circle. One drawn with a 9 inch radius and the other with a 10 inch radius. How can a single tonearm with a fixed length track both circles?
Johnny

Postby Ghost rider » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:45 pm

Johnny wrote:
Ghost rider wrote:
Brf wrote:

Sorry, it’s impossible that two arc protractors with different spindle to distance measurements produce the same results for a single tonearm cartridge combo. Think about it as a circle. One drawn with a 9 inch radius and the other with a 10 inch radius. How can a single tonearm with a fixed length track both circles?

I'm not saying I set the alignment perfect while using the JMW9 tractor. I set the overhang using the VPI tractor ( as good as I could using it!) Then I looked at the Best Tracktor for JMW9 and I stayed eq/eq/eq/eq off the arc line and just a little to the inside of both null points. That turns out to be damn near perfect and I could do it again if I had to. Now that I have the JMW10 tractor I'm all good.
Ghost rider

Postby edw » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:55 am

With MintLP, once set up, the stylus will track every part of the arc perfectly (not just the null points). The stylus should not deviate off the arc.
edw

Postby Ghost rider » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:41 pm

I looked at the alignment today and it follows the arc perfectly so that much I know is correct. I got a picture of the one null point that doesn't look perfect and like I said I think this is close enough. It's nice to know it's right and like I said I could duplicate this alignment all day long with my JMW9 tractor.
Attachments
overhang.jpg
overhang.jpg (64.26 KiB) Viewed 65 times
Ghost rider

Postby Brf » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:54 pm

Ghost rider wrote:I looked at the alignment today and it follows the arc perfectly so that much I know is correct. I got a picture of the one null point that doesn't look perfect and like I said I think this is close enough. It's nice to know it's right and like I said I could duplicate this alignment all day long with my JMW9 tractor.

Looks better than good enough to me.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Stringreen » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:30 pm

I used the Mint for setup on my VPI 10 inch (used to be called 10.5) plastic arm.....matches the VPI alignment gauge.
Stringreen

Previous

Return to Support Forum