TNT Resurrection.

Re: TNT Resurrection.

Postby theeng » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:07 am

Hi Pops,

If interested, there is a complete VPI 10-3D tonearm for sale at $2000 at https://www.highperformancestereo.com/p ... -base.html. This is a complete arm with what appears to be all accessories (If you decide to buy make sure the fastener/finger lift kit is included) and from picture looks near new. I bought from this dealer Dec-2019 and item was as advertised. Not the fastest to ship, but perfectly acceptable and the dealer indicates on his Consumer Service tab that he does international.

Best Regards,
Neil

PS/The dealer also has a complete 12-3D Reference for $3000; but this is really pushing the budget.
theeng

Postby Pops110 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:31 pm

Thanks for that, but unfortunately still over budget.
Will an older JMW 10 arm and non VTA on the fly base fit a TNT?
I’m in the final stages of purchasing this arm and base but have just had a look at some pics and I’m worried now it may not fit.
Speakers- Audio Physic Classic 20
Preamp- Line Magnetic VV3
Power amp- Musical Fidelity A5cr
Source- Bluesound Vault 2i
Dac- Geek Pulse S Infinity
Cables- XLO reference and signature.
Power- Gigawatt
Rack- I made myself with Quadraspire legs
Pops110

Postby Brf » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:20 pm

Pops110 wrote:Thanks for that, but unfortunately still over budget.
I’m in the final stages of purchasing this arm and base but have just had a look at some pics and I’m worried now it may not fit.

The JMW 10 with the vta on the fly base will definitely fit the TNT. I’ve never mounted a non vta on the fly JMW 10 on a TNT, but as long as the spike’s pivot measured 258mm from the spindle lands on the TNT’s arm board, you are good to go.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Pops110 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:30 pm

Brf wrote:
Pops110 wrote:Thanks for that, but unfortunately still over budget.

The JMW 10 with the vta on the fly base will definitely fit the TNT. I’ve never mounted a non vta on the fly JMW 10 on a TNT, but as long as the spike’s pivot measured 258mm from the spindle lands on the TNT’s arm board, you are good to go.

Thanks BRF, so the distance is definitely 258mm. I mistakenly assumed that all JMW bases and arms would fit the TNT. I will double check the measurements tonight but I don’t think it’s going to work.
Power- Gigawatt
Pops110

Postby Packgrog » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:55 am

Good god, what a nice score!

I wouldn't rush too quickly to replace that platter, though. Lots of people still covet those, if I recall correctly. I'd recommend trying to get everything working close to stock before doing "upgrades", as you won't know whether something is genuinely an improvement or not.

What monster would through a beauty like that in the trash!!?! Good on your for rescuing it!
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby powermatic » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:53 pm

That is great that you bought an SDS, it will provide an easily noticed improvement to the sound. Try running your deck without for a few days, you will be amazed at how the instruments 'focus' with the SDS in play.

What is your arm budget? Don't be afraid of a metal JMW arm, in fact some (me) prefer them. And you don't necessarily have to use a VPI arm, in fact you have the freedom to buy one of many, many arms out in the wild.

Your project is looking fantastic, you're going to have a great table!
powermatic

Postby Pops110 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:13 am

Packgrog wrote:Good god, what a nice score!

I wouldn't rush too quickly to replace that platter, though. Lots of people still covet those, if I recall correctly. I'd recommend trying to get everything working close to stock before doing "upgrades", as you won't know whether something is genuinely an improvement or not.

What monster would through a beauty like that in the trash!!?! Good on your for rescuing it!

I know, crazy isn’t it. Must have been a deceased estate or something like that.
I have just been in contact with Harry and he advised that the platter is one of the best that they made and getting rarer.
Pretty happy.
Power- Gigawatt
Pops110

Previous

Return to Support Forum