Wrong Pivot to Stylus Distance

Wrong Pivot to Stylus Distance

Postby Jim » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:00 pm

How significant is it to have the Pivot to Stylus distance to be out of spec? Tonight I was re-checking the setup of my VAS Nova cartridge (VPI Classic 3 TT with 3D 10.5" arm) and noticed that the P2S distance was 260.5 mm instead of the recommended 258 mm. I was able to proceed through the 3 steps outlined on my Feikert Next Gen protractor without a hitch but I'm wondering if the aberrant P2S distance will adversely affect something I haven't thought of. The only problem I've noticed is excess sibilance in left speaker on loud transients (mostly on Nora Jones' "Come Away w/ Me" album). Any thoughts?
Classic 3 with 3D tonearm, Peripheral Ring Clamp, XLR Output & VAS Nova 0.4mV cartridge. LKV Veros One phono stage, ARC Ref 5 SE preamp, ARC Ref 75 SE amp, Aerial Acoustics 7T speakers.
Jim
Senior Member
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:26 pm

Re: Wrong Pivot to Stylus Distance

Postby Brf » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:56 am

Just loosen the 3 screws that secure your tonearm vta tower to the plinth. This will allow enough play in the tower position to move the pivot to the correct distance. In some instances the tonearm position moves slightly during shipping.
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4628
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: Wrong Pivot to Stylus Distance

Postby billo » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:51 am

The Feickert compensates for the Pivot to Spindle error by changing the length of its arm. No worry as long as the Feickert pointer is over the pivot. IMO if your record is not damaged you have a set up problem. It being a single channel I would check VTF and antiskate first, although I normally would associate sibilance very strongly with alignment (zenith) and suggest very careful inspection and possibly experimentation due to cartridge assembly variances.
User avatar
billo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:01 am

Re: Wrong Pivot to Stylus Distance

Postby Jim » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:15 pm

Billo, thanks for the reassurance on the P2S. I'll recheck the setup.
Out of curiosity, BRF, to gain access to 2 of the 3 screws on my TT I'd have to remove the VTF tower. Is this a big deal? Can you point me to directions describing this? Thanks.
Classic 3 with 3D tonearm, Peripheral Ring Clamp, XLR Output & VAS Nova 0.4mV cartridge. LKV Veros One phono stage, ARC Ref 5 SE preamp, ARC Ref 75 SE amp, Aerial Acoustics 7T speakers.
Jim
Senior Member
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:26 pm

Re: Wrong Pivot to Stylus Distance

Postby Brf » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:43 pm

Yes, you need to remove the vta tower to access the 3 screws. Once removed, just slightly loosen the 3 screws so the base can move but with some resistance. Reassemble the vta tower, measure the correct S2P distance. Once the correct distance is achieved, remove the vta tower and tighten the 3 screws.
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4628
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: Wrong Pivot to Stylus Distance

Postby Jimwiro » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:06 pm

Jim wrote:How significant is it to have the Pivot to Stylus distance to be out of spec? Tonight I was re-checking the setup of my VAS Nova cartridge (VPI Classic 3 TT with 3D 10.5" arm) and noticed that the P2S distance was 260.5 mm instead of the recommended 258 mm. I was able to proceed through the 3 steps outlined on my Feikert Next Gen protractor without a hitch but I'm wondering if the aberrant P2S distance will adversely affect something I haven't thought of. The only problem I've noticed is excess sibilance in left speaker on loud transients (mostly on Nora Jones' "Come Away w/ Me" album). Any thoughts?

Which tool to measure P2S to 0.5mm ?
Did feickert can do that ?
Thanks
Classic 3
Air Tight ATM-2
Air Tight ATC-2
Modwright SWP 9.0
Harbeth M30.1
Benz Gullwing SLR
Zu Denon 103
Jimwiro
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:29 pm

Re: Wrong Pivot to Stylus Distance

Postby Brf » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:02 pm

Jimwiro wrote:
Jim wrote:How significant is it to have the Pivot to Stylus distance to be out of spec? Tonight I was re-checking the setup of my VAS Nova cartridge (VPI Classic 3 TT with 3D 10.5" arm) and noticed that the P2S distance was 260.5 mm instead of the recommended 258 mm. I was able to proceed through the 3 steps outlined on my Feikert Next Gen protractor without a hitch but I'm wondering if the aberrant P2S distance will adversely affect something I haven't thought of. The only problem I've noticed is excess sibilance in left speaker on loud transients (mostly on Nora Jones' "Come Away w/ Me" album). Any thoughts?

Which tool to measure P2S to 0.5mm ?
Did feickert can do that ?
Thanks


Yes, set the Dr Feickert S2P to 258mm and align the VPI pivot point to that distance.
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4628
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: Wrong Pivot to Stylus Distance

Postby Jim » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:35 pm

Brf wrote:Yes, you need to remove the vta tower to access the 3 screws.


How do you remove the VTA tower? Is it as simple as raising the tower by persistantly turning the VTA knob until it comes off?
Classic 3 with 3D tonearm, Peripheral Ring Clamp, XLR Output & VAS Nova 0.4mV cartridge. LKV Veros One phono stage, ARC Ref 5 SE preamp, ARC Ref 75 SE amp, Aerial Acoustics 7T speakers.
Jim
Senior Member
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:26 pm

Re: Wrong Pivot to Stylus Distance

Postby Brf » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:54 pm

Jim wrote:
Brf wrote:Yes, you need to remove the vta tower to access the 3 screws.


How do you remove the VTA tower? Is it as simple as raising the tower by persistantly turning the VTA knob until it comes off?


Yes, it’s that simple
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4628
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: Wrong Pivot to Stylus Distance

Postby krell-diva » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:41 am

Of note:
I have TNT4 (with the TNT 5 bearing) with JMW 12.5 arm. After reading this thread I measured my PTS (pivot to spindle) distance, it was 298mm. I loosed the tonearm tower to plinth screws slid the assembly further out and set to 300mm. Use a metal 1/2 mm machinist ruler.
Then I reset the overhang using the VPI jig; I definitely experienced lower groove noise and slightly better sound. The lower groove noise now like I pushed the mute button.
It's worth checking making sure your PTS is 300mm.
krell-diva
Newbie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:23 pm

Next

Return to Support Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: IAboy and 24 guests

x