Leaking oil/grease from under platter/bearing Area...

Re: Leaking oil/grease from under platter/bearing Area...

Postby Brf » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:51 am

VinBob wrote:Thanks guys. I do have a ground wire attached underneath the bearing which the folks from VPI had installed for me - the oil seems to be ever so slowly dripping down from the wire from what I can tell.

Just waiting to hear back from Mat now on what it could be and next steps.

Cheers,
Vin.

I wouldn’t worry about it Vin. At one time your bearing was more than likely over filled with grease and the capillary action has drawn the oil into the lower bearing body and it is finally finding it’s way out. Other than an inconvenience, no harm is been done and it will stop.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby VinBob » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:15 pm

Brf wrote:
VinBob wrote:Thanks guys. I do have a ground wire attached underneath the bearing which the folks from VPI had installed for me - the oil seems to be ever so slowly dripping down from the wire from what I can tell.

Just waiting to hear back from Mat now on what it could be and next steps.

Cheers,
Vin.

I wouldn’t worry about it Vin. At one time your bearing was more than likely over filled with grease and the capillary action has drawn the oil into the lower bearing body and it is finally finding it’s way out. Other than an inconvenience, no harm is been done and it will stop.

Thanks Brf. I just would have thought that by now being a year later, the leaking would have stopped although I just recently added more grease as it was the time of year to do my regular maintenance. Could this maybe also be due to me not using the turntable regularly enough?

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 & LPS | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 4B3 Cubed | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Martin Logan Dynamo 800x | Auralic Altair G1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Mr_Putty » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:20 pm

VinBob,
Maybe you can evaluate your grease better with this test. Put the same amount you used in your bearing on several layers of paper towel. One might be fine. Seal it in a jar and notice how quickly the oil separates into the towel. Storing grease in a warm environment will speed the dissolution, even if its in the original container. Perhaps your grease had a storage problem before you got it?
Mr_Putty

Postby VinBob » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:31 pm

Mr_Putty wrote:VinBob,
Maybe you can evaluate your grease better with this test. Put the same amount you used in your bearing on several layers of paper towel. One might be fine. Seal it in a jar and notice how quickly the oil separates into the towel. Storing grease in a warm environment will speed the dissolution, even if its in the original container. Perhaps your grease had a storage problem before you got it?

Thanks Mr_Putty. I'll give that a try, although the grease has been kept in very well cooled and humidified (70-75F and 45% humidity) room. The thickness looks good to me and just like it was when purchased a little over a year ago. It doesn't look runny in any way to me but I'll try your test this evening. Thanks!

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 & LPS | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 4B3 Cubed | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Martin Logan Dynamo 800x | Auralic Altair G1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Brf » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:27 pm

Hey Vin, when you re- lubricate your table I assume that you do a thorough cleaning out of the old grease?

Grease breaks down when exposed to oxygen, that is why your car oil has a miles and/or time element for an oil change. I typically recommend synthetic grease as it doesn’t degrade as fast as mineral based oils (last longer).

Yes, oil in the grease can separate if not used. Regular use kneads the thickener with the oil.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby VinBob » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:09 pm

Brf wrote:Hey Vin, when you re- lubricate your table I assume that you do a thorough cleaning out of the old grease?

Grease breaks down when exposed to oxygen, that is why your car oil has a miles and/or time element for an oil change. I typically recommend synthetic grease as it doesn’t degrade as fast as mineral based oils (last longer).

Yes, oil in the grease can separate if not used. Regular use kneads the thickener with the oil.

Hey Brf and thanks for the feedback/advice as always.

Yes, when I re-lubricate, I use a long cotton swab to pull out anything that was in the platter with some isopropyl alcohol which I believe you had recommended a while back as a cleaning process. I also give the bearing a good clean and remove anything on there again cleaning/wiping with a cloth and a tiny bit of isopropyl alcohol.

Is the Super Lube grease I am using OK or is there a better one I should look into especially for people like me only playing an LP maybe once a week at most?!

Cheers,
Vin.
VinBob

Postby cbl117 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:40 pm

Vin, do you allow the isopropyl alcohol to throughly dry before putting the platter back on the plinth? Maybe some IPA is getting stuck up there and breaking down the grease? Just a thought. Not sure how plausible that is.
cbl117

Postby VinBob » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:17 pm

Yes, I do allow time but the alcohol dries pretty quick which should not be causing any issues. I also then use additional dry Q tips at the end removing anything that may be left there.

I actually took a drive over to Cliffwood today and had the great guys (Jan) over at VPI take a look for me. There was nothing obvious as to how/why the oil Is leaking and the bearing looked OK to them. They were able to put a very tiny amount of bonding glue around the base of the bearing which should prevent anything to seep through. The other thing that was pointed out, was that I should use less grease on the bearing ball even though I was putting the amount per the maintenance video Mat put together for us. The grease I am using is in good shape and they also mentioned that there should not be a need to lube the bearing every year - Jan added that he last lubed his TT 5 years ago and all is still good!

I’ll see how things develop from here and keep an eye on it but hopefully, I should be good and gonna start spinning some vinyl...

Cheers,
Vin.
VinBob

Previous

Return to Support Forum