Questions on Avenger Rim Drive

Re: Questions on Avenger Rim Drive

Postby DrumTemp » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:03 am

Hi Brf,

Can you tell me what the purpose is for the washers...isolation? If so, would they be as effective between the bottom plate & footers?
BTW, I have the rim drive unit that came with the Avenger Reference.
Avenger Reference, Graham Phantom III, Benz Micro LP S, AI Mod 3B, Pass Labs X250.8, Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT
DrumTemp

Postby Mat » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:42 am

My best suggestion if Rim Drive is being difficult if to switch your Avenger from Rim to Belt. That is a mod we will send out for free for any owner who has had trouble with their Rim Drive in regards to setting/dialing it in. Rim Drive can sound fantastic, but it is fidgety. Belt Drive is easier to work with and sounds great with 3 belts. I think Rim Drive works well with someone who enjoys tweaking and messing with their table. Of course there is Direct Drive but we aren't totally there yet.
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby Beck » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:58 pm

Brf wrote:2) Make sure that the rim drive is 100% level with the platter. Use a bullseye bubble level on top of the rim drive. I replaced my rim drive feet with height adjustable feet for fine tuning.

What height adjustable rim drive feet are you using and where did you source them?
Avenger Reference | Fat Boy 12 | Dual Pivot | Ortofon A-95 | ADS | Ayre KX-5 preamp and V-5xe amp | van den Hul Grail SE+ phono stage | Audio Sensibility Statement interconnects and speaker cables | Magneplanar 3.7i | Mapleshade audio rack
Beck

Postby Brf » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:54 am

DrumTemp wrote:Hi Brf,

Can you tell me what the purpose is for the washers...isolation? If so, would they be as effective between the bottom plate & footers?

Yes, the Herbie’s washers are for additional isolation. I don’t use the rim drive stock feet, therefore, I have never tried Herbie’s washers with the stock feet.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Brf » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:55 am

Beck wrote:
Brf wrote:2) Make sure that the rim drive is 100% level with the platter. Use a bullseye bubble level on top of the rim drive. I replaced my rim drive feet with height adjustable feet for fine tuning.

What height adjustable rim drive feet are you using and where did you source them?

I use 4 Stillpoints Ultra Mini with adjustable bases
Brf
Site Admin

Postby DrumTemp » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:26 pm

Brf wrote:
DrumTemp wrote:Hi Brf,

Yes, the Herbie’s washers are for additional isolation. I don’t use the rim drive stock feet, therefore, I have never tried Herbie’s washers with the stock feet.

Thanks, Brent!
Avenger Reference, Graham Phantom III, Benz Micro LP S, AI Mod 3B, Pass Labs X250.8, Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT
DrumTemp

Postby DrumTemp » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:31 pm

Mat wrote:My best suggestion if Rim Drive is being difficult if to switch your Avenger from Rim to Belt. That is a mod we will send out for free for any owner who has had trouble with their Rim Drive in regards to setting/dialing it in. Rim Drive can sound fantastic, but it is fidgety. Belt Drive is easier to work with and sounds great with 3 belts. I think Rim Drive works well with someone who enjoys tweaking and messing with their table. Of course there is Direct Drive but we aren't totally there yet.

That's a great offer, Matt. Yes, the rim drive is a little finicky, but as you say, once it's set up correctly "sounds fantastic."
I'm inclined to wait and see what you and your team come up with for the Direct Drive mod. A couple of questions:
1) Will this mod work with the Magnetic drive platters?
2) Will an ADS unit be required?

Thanks in advance,
DT
DrumTemp

Postby jpb6061 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:17 pm

Just my .02 on the Herbies Dots.... Hands down the best solution I found to eliminate motor noise on my SSM. I had extremely annoying motor noise and the Grungebuster Dots totally eliminated it.

Currently running three belts, but would like to try Rim Drive if anybody has some spare pieces!

JB
jpb6061

Postby Brf » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:04 pm

DrumTemp wrote: That's a great offer, Matt. Yes, the rim drive is a little finicky, but as you say, once it's set up correctly "sounds fantastic."
I'm inclined to wait and see what you and your team come up with for the Direct Drive mod. A couple of questions:
1) Will this mod work with the Magnetic drive platters?
2) Will an ADS unit be required?

Thanks in advance,
DT

Although I have no direct VPI knowledge, I can almost certainly answer your questions.

No, the DD mod will not be backwards compatible with a current production mag drive due to the way the DD motor is incorporated into the platter.

No, you will not need an ADS as the DD motor has its own built in motor controller circuit.

Perhaps what VPI “may” do is offer a mag drive / ADS trade in allowance towards a DD upgrade?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby DrumTemp » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:20 pm

Perhaps what VPI “may” do is offer a mag drive / ADS trade in allowance towards a DD upgrade?

That would be outstanding! Maybe wishful thinking...but Outstanding! :D
DrumTemp

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum