VPI Prime male pivot point factory height

Re: VPI Prime male pivot point factory height

Postby jonathanb » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:31 pm

Start by making certain that the set screws of the VTA tower and VTA platform are loose, especially the one on the tower, as otherwise the VTA platform may get stuck.
Prime Signature #9 | 10" 3DR/VdH RG-8 | 10" 3DR/Transfiguration Phoenix S | 10" 3D/VAS Nova Mono | Aurorasound ViDA | Gryphon XT MC | Gryphon M100 (x2) | Evolution Acoustics MicroOne | Morrow and Gryphon cables
jonathanb

Postby LarryRS » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:37 pm

jonathanb wrote:Start by making certain that the set screws of the VTA tower and VTA platform are loose, especially the one on the tower, as otherwise the VTA platform may get stuck.

Definitely loose. Through the range of motion that it has, the vernier moves very freely.
LarryRS

Postby seamonster » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:33 pm

Larry, mine rotates freely all the way down, leaving no gap. Could it be that your vernier is cross- or mis-threaded? It can be unscrewed and removed, and screwed back on again. I did that when first setting up my Prime and adjusting the tone arm.

edit: Obviously, also check to see that the threads themselves are undamaged.
seamonster

Postby LarryRS » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:24 pm

seamonster wrote:Larry, mine rotates freely all the way down, leaving no gap. Could it be that your vernier is cross- or mis-threaded? It can be unscrewed and removed, and screwed back on again. I did that when first setting up my Prime and adjusting the tone arm.

edit: Obviously, also check to see that the threads themselves are undamaged.

seamonster - Thanks very much. That's very interesting. I bought mine new and the vernier has never been off (at least as far as I know). Not absolutely sure what you mean about being unscrewed and removed. Do you mean unscrewing the vernier and removing the entire assembly (vernier, male pivot pint, etc.) or can the vernier somehow be removed by itself?
LarryRS

Postby seamonster » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:47 pm

The black plastic vernier drum itself can be unscrewed by turning it as if you were increasing the VTA. It will simply lift off when it reaches the end of the threaded post on which it sits.
seamonster

Postby LarryRS » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:09 am

seamonster wrote:The black plastic vernier drum itself can be unscrewed by turning it as if you were increasing the VTA. It will simply lift off when it reaches the end of the threaded post on which it sits.

Again - very helpful!. A couple of findings. First, when I unscrewed the black plastic vernier drum up as if increasing the VTA it got to a point where it continued to turn but it didn't seem to come off easily. Perhaps due to the set screw in the drum? BUT, when I did that I decided to back the set screw way out of the VTA tower (out about 14mm), rather than slightly loosening it, as stated in the setup video (I had previously backed the set screw out until the vernier turned freely and then an extra turn or so for good measure). Voila! I can now easily lower the VTA tower to the point where I can set the cartridge either tail up or tail down. I can't explain what the impediment is to free movement up and down the post when the set screw is not backed way out (perhaps there is a burr in the post from previous tightening of the set screw?), but this thread has led to a solution. Thanks again to all who contributed.
LarryRS

Postby Brf » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:57 am

LarryRS wrote:
seamonster wrote:The black plastic vernier drum itself can be unscrewed by turning it as if you were increasing the VTA. It will simply lift off when it reaches the end of the threaded post on which it sits.

Again - very helpful!. A couple of findings. First, when I unscrewed the black plastic vernier drum up as if increasing the VTA it got to a point where it continued to turn but it didn't seem to come off easily. Perhaps due to the set screw in the drum? BUT, when I did that I decided to back the set screw way out of the VTA tower (out about 14mm), rather than slightly loosening it, as stated in the setup video (I had previously backed the set screw out until the vernier turned freely and then an extra turn or so for good measure). Voila! I can now easily lower the VTA tower to the point where I can set the cartridge either tail up or tail down. I can't explain what the impediment is to free movement up and down the post when the set screw is not backed way out (perhaps there is a burr in the post from previous tightening of the set screw?), but this thread has led to a solution. Thanks again to all who contributed.

On occasion the factory will apply too much grease to the threads of the vta tower. Over time, the oil which is impregnated into a thickener to form a grease will flow away leaving the thickener to dry up and prevent free movement of the tower. In these instances, simply remove the tower and clean out the old grease and re-lube.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby LarryRS » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:06 am

Brf wrote:
LarryRS wrote:

On occasion the factory will apply too much grease to the threads of the vta tower. Over time, the oil which is impregnated into a thickener to form a grease will flow away leaving the thickener to dry up and prevent free movement of the tower. In these instances, simply remove the tower and clean out the old grease and re-lube.

Brf - thanks for that. That may well be the issue, although my Prime is less than a year old. In any event, all is happy right now, I've set the VTA for level and the tower moves freely giving me the ability to adjust the tail up or down from there.
LarryRS

Postby Stringreen » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:35 pm

Sure - lower it so that the cuing device is working as you would want it. That's why I adjusted mine.
Stringreen

Postby LarryRS » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:51 pm

Stringreen wrote:Sure - lower it so that the cuing device is working as you would want it. That's why I adjusted mine.

For that purpose I just loosen the set screw and move the cuing cylinder up or down. It's independently adjustable, as is the arm rest - adds considerably to flexibility in setup.
LarryRS

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum