Fatboy counterweights

Re: Fatboy counterweights

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:42 pm

10ovr wrote:
YoungDave wrote:Haven't given this very much thought in a few weeks. I was able to get my Dynavector properly balanced but was not happy with my counterweight's position at just about all the way out. Asked VPI to sell me the drilled counterweight and extra weight shims and they refused; said I could buy them from one of the VPI dealers. Well, I checked out Elusive Disk and other online retailers and none of them list the counterweight for sale. So I got stick-on wheelweights on eBay and put 20 gr (4 small square weights) on the end of my counterweight.

Not a very elegant solution, but what can one do when the manufacturer refuses to provide support!!!

Ill be dammed if Im going to jig rig a 4K tone arm,,If there is a problem VPI should fix it,, Have yet to see any Pix of this counter weight ,,If some one could post some pix it would be great,,,Guess I well call my dealer again ( wont be the first call) and have them get me one,,Hell I can't even get an answer on this post http://vpiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11374 and Mat,Harry and Marc have all been on line after I posted it,Dealer can't get answers either,,, Sad they would not help you out,,,

They have all been getting ready in recent weeks for AXPONA no doubt.
Letsmakeadeal

Postby tony22 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:09 am

Letsmakeadeal wrote:They have all been getting ready in recent weeks for AXPONA no doubt.

Yes, I saw almost the whole team there in Chicago.
Pass XP-20 & XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby 10ovr » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:12 am

Any body know how much the add on plates weigh ?? Tried 6 carts 2 VAS Novas ,1 Lyra ,1 Sound Smith ,2 ZYX ,,With the counter weight all the way at the back could not lift the arm off the rest ....Weighed the counter weight and its at 264.7 grams,, Had to add 40grams to get it to lift off the rest,,Almost 1.5 oz,,Why the other weight dose not come standard with the Gimbal is baffling to me,,,Going to call today to order but need to know how many plates I need?????
10ovr

Postby tony22 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:24 am

10ovr, something seems off here. I've had the VAS Nova Elliptical, a SS Sussurro, a Benz SL, and a Denon 103R in an aluminum body on my gimbal Fatboy. All could be VTF'ed with the stock counterweight, but for the 103R (only for that one) I had to move the CW back on its collet to get the CW back far enough to balance that cart.
Pass XP-20 & XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby 10ovr » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:00 am

On my Aries with the 3DR the counter weight is in the middle of the spectrum ,Room to move both ways,,With the Fat Boy Gimbal it's at the end of the spectrum" No room for adjustments,,Not the only one having this problem,,,
10ovr

Postby tony22 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:08 am

This is just odd. I have no doubt about what you're saying, but I just finished setting up the Sussurro MkII and the Fatboy CW is pretty much in the middle of the range with the VTF on the cart of 1.96g. I'm pretty sure I'm using the aluminum SS screws.
tony22

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:44 am

10ovr wrote:On my Aries with the 3DR the counter weight is in the middle of the spectrum ,Room to move both ways,,With the Fat Boy Gimbal it's at the end of the spectrum" No room for adjustments,,Not the only one having this problem,,,

10" vs. 12"?
Letsmakeadeal

Postby 10ovr » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:41 am

Letsmakeadeal wrote:
10ovr wrote:On my Aries with the 3DR the counter weight is in the middle of the spectrum ,Room to move both ways,,With the Fat Boy Gimbal it's at the end of the spectrum" No room for adjustments,,Not the only one having this problem,,,

10" vs. 12"?

I have 12"
10ovr

Postby miner » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:00 pm

I had the same issue with my 10.5 Fatboy on my Aries 3D and my CW had drilled holes in the rear. VPI sent me some wts/plates to add to the CW - took almost a month of calls from me and my dealer. I was told the Fatboy uni CW was designed to work with 95% of all cartridges, does not sound like it does to me.
McIntosh C2300 pre; McIntosh MC452 amp; McIntosh MCD500 SACD; VPI Aries 3 with 3D arm and Ort. Cadenza Black MC cartridge; Manley Chinook SE; PS Audio P5 reg.; VPI SDS; Pioneer RT707 R2R; Nakamichi ZX-7 cass.; Sf Electa Amator III; Sf Gravis II sub
miner

Postby tony22 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:58 pm

@miner, was this with your Cadenza Black? I keep saying it but this seems really odd - the CB has a mass of 10.7 grams, hardly unusual in the world of current day carts.
tony22

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum