I'll be going for Fatboy, but which one?

I'll be going for Fatboy, but which one?

Postby tony22 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:24 am

I decided to squeeze in under the wire for the 12" Fatboy upgrade incentive, but like others I'm uncertain as to whether to get the pivot or gimbal version of the arm. For upgrade pricing purposes I'll have to trade in my 12" 3DR (will I miss it?).

I've read HW prefers the gimbal, feeling it has a bit more body, and drive in the low end, without sacrificing too much in the upper end. Others like the gimbal, from what I can tell because it has the classic agility, openness, and extension of the best of VPI pivot arms without sacrificing too much in the low end. Seems like a real Hobson's Choice. My current complement of carts for this arm would be Benz SL, likely adding a Gullwing or LP-S at some point, a SS Zephyr Mk.II, and the VAS HW Special. Might this suggest a direction toward one Fatboy over the other? My system is full range, and has a natural, musical nature. It's neither hyper-detailed nor slow and soft. It'd be great to hear from others who've listened to the 'boy. Table is the Avenger.
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Re: I'll be going for Fatboy, but which one?

Postby tony22 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:35 am

Nobody? I read through previous posts on this, but was looking for additional thoughts / insight if possible.
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Brf » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:55 am

tony22 wrote:Nobody? I read through previous posts on this, but was looking for additional thoughts / insight if possible.

tony22, I am truly on the fence with this questions also but I do believe that there is no wrong answer.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby tony22 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:46 am

Sigh. I'm confused. I can see why HW likes the gimbal, but even VPI's "official" position seems to be that the unipivot with the included second pivot provide (if I quote it correctly) "the highest level of performance". :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Unfortunately even with a trade in on one, I cannot afford two of these things.
tony22

Postby 33+1third » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:07 pm

VPI's "official" position seems to be SALES

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Music is my Time Machine"
33+1third

Postby 930turbo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:52 am

Hi ,

When I upgraded my friend’s stainless steel JMW 12.7 to the FatBoy tonearm . I ask Harry’s opinion and I told him my friend is currently using a Lyra Etna . Harry recommended the Gimbal type because , his personal listening test revealed the Lyra cartridges sounds / perform better w/ the Gimbal type FatBoy. So far we’re very happy w/ the FatBoy .

VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby JerryF » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:04 am

Can you adjust azimuth on the FatBoy gimbal arm?
JerryF

Postby Brf » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:20 am

JerryF wrote:Can you adjust azimuth on the FatBoy gimbal arm?

Yes, there are two grub screws in the metal ferrule that secures the 3d printed arm tube.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby tony22 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:37 am

930turbo wrote:Hi ,

When I upgraded my friend’s stainless steel JMW 12.7 to the FatBoy tonearm . I ask Harry’s opinion and I told him my friend is currently using a Lyra Etna . Harry recommended the Gimbal type because , his personal listening test revealed the Lyra cartridges sounds / perform better w/ the Gimbal type FatBoy. So far we’re very happy w/ the FatBoy .

Yes, I've heard similar from HW. In my case, I think the Benz carts I use tend to be a bit more "full" sounding than typical MC carts, which might suggest the unipivot would be better. But I also have the VAS HW Special, which Harry has told me he thinks works better with the gimbal.

It's frustrating.
tony22

Postby jonathanb » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:44 am

Do you have more than one tonearm wand?
jonathanb

Next

Return to Support Forum