Ultrasonic Cleaning and the HW16.5

Ultrasonic Cleaning and the HW16.5

Postby steveo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:45 pm

I have a 10L US tank and an old manual Nitty-Gritty to rinse and vacuum. The latter is failing, and I am thinking about the 16.5. I am worried about getting the cork mat wet, so I plan on using a plastic/rubber puck (that's part of the Nitty-Gritty), about 3.5 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick, to keep the wet LP off the cork mat while vacuuming. Will the vacuum wand work well if the LP is elevated off the mat?

Thank you,

Steve O.
steveo

Re: Ultrasonic Cleaning and the HW16.5

Postby asanalaskan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:04 pm

I don't think so, I assume the puck is the size of a record label? . The vacuum arm is sucked down onto the record for cleaning. Raising the record from the label only would cause the record to warp as the vacuum wand pressed down, and the wand wouldn't seat correctly. Also, I'm not sure if the the threaded spindle would accommodate the puck and have the threads left to secure it all down.

I would recommend a thin plastic mat of some sort to cover the entire 16.5 platter if you are worried about getting the cork wet. Most people use something similar for cleaning the first side of a dirty record on the 16.5 to keep contamination from getting on the platter/cork.
asanalaskan

Postby Packgrog » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:49 am

I have started using, of all things, a Herbie's thin grungebuster circle that I'd pulled from my isolation platform setup, which also happened to be the same diameter as a record label. It works just fine, and allows JUST enough clearance between the record and platter to avoid liquid getting on the platter. I believe Harry has been doing something similar, though I forget what, and the Record Cleaning thread is pretty long. Records bow up slightly when you tighten the clamp in the record when it's on a compliant material, but when the vacuum wand comes down, it flattens back out. No problem there.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby steveo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:43 pm

Thanks for the responses. Harry's and Brf's comments about raising a wet record, after ultrasonic cleaning, from the platter can be found on page 6 of the "Record Cleaning" thread, if anybody is interested. The 16.5 showed up today. The threads in the 16.5 clamp are indeed too high in the clamp to accommodate my 1/4" puck, but I inverted the clamp, and that worked (threads then adjacent to puck). Seems to work well, and the record is flat while vacuuming.
steveo

Return to Support Forum