My New "Prime Scout Supreme"

My New "Prime Scout Supreme"

Postby dodgealum » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:45 am

Very excited to share the details of my new "Prime Scout Supreme"--a collaborative design effort that came to fruition over the past year with enthusiastic support from Harry and Mat. Last summer I approached these guys with a design challenge--I wanted to upgrade from my 10 year old Scout to a table that would deliver the highest possible performance and still fit on my Target wall shelf. Recent product developments and the unwavering support and patience of the crew at VPI brought about the following result:

The Table: The new "curvey" Prime Scout plinth is mated to a Prime platter/bearing secured from below by a Prime Signature locking plate. A Prime motor drives the platter/bearing assembly. Mini HRX feet isolate and support the plinth.

The Arm: The new VPI-production version (first off the line!) of the 10" gimbald "Levinson" arm with a robust bearing housing made from stainless steel (rather than aluminum), ABEC 9 bearings, 3D arm tube and threaded fine adjust counterweight. The arm is mounted to the VTA tower which sits on a custom spacer made from high density tool steel (the spacer alone weighs about 3 pounds--my dad is a machinist so this was his contribution!) so the arm is elevated to the proper height for the Prime platter. Nordost Reference wire for the tonearm and RCA junction box. The new "American" arm lift rounds out the package.

The Cartridge: The Audiotechnica ART 9.

The Phono Stage: The Herron VTPH-2

The Sound: Breathtaking (with almost no break in).

I cannot fully express my gratitude to Mat and Harry for making my audiophile dream come true. This is my end of the line turntable and every time I cue up an LP I will recall with fondness their passion, humility and expertise. VPI represents what is great about America--family owned, innovative and fully dedicated to supporting their customers with the best possible products and service.
Attachments
Motor Side Shot.jpg
Prime Motor
Motor Side Shot.jpg (26.19 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
Corner Shot.jpg
Arm in Action
Corner Shot.jpg (23.93 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
VTA Spacer 3.jpg
Custom Machined Spacer to Elevate Arm for Use with Prime Platter
VTA Spacer 3.jpg (32.3 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
Side Shot.jpg
VPI "Levinson" Arm Serial Number 001
Side Shot.jpg (21.72 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
Front Shot.jpg
Front Shot.jpg (22.39 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
Last edited by dodgealum on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
dodgealum

Re: My New "Prime Scout Supreme"

Postby Brf » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:11 pm

Congratulations, I love the real clean look of the Prime Scout.

Great phono stage btw.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:12 pm

Nice clean looking setup. Congrats. She's purdy!
Letsmakeadeal

Postby mreeter » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:19 pm

Very nice looking' deck, you should be proud of your "One Off" Supreme!
VPI Classic Signature SE/Soundsmith Zephyr
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
Rogue Audio M-180 Monoblock Amps
Dynaudio Contour S3.4LE
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun Wires
mreeter

Postby Johnny » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:23 pm

Quick question, other than having Classic feet and a gimbal arm, how is this table different than a regular Scout Prime???
Johnny

Postby Gary1955 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:46 pm

Beautiful looking table! Kudos to your dad for the custom spacer, looks like he did a great job.
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover.
Gary1955

Postby dodgealum » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:57 pm

Thanks guys. Johnny: The only thing this table has in common with the Scout Prime is the plinth. Also, the feet are not from the Classic but are the HRX Mini Feet. According to my sources, in house testing revealed that the Mini HRX feet offer superior performance to the Classic feet. I think they are also more appropriately scaled to the Prime Scout plinth so make for a nicer look! Let me add that based on my initial listening sessions the 10" VPI "Levinson" gimbaled arm is an extraordinary performer!
dodgealum

Postby Guss2 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:11 pm

Well, that's certainly not just your ordinary run of the mill gimbaled arm. Awesome table, enjoy!
Guss2

Postby MMMC » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:37 am

dodgealum ,

Congratulations.

That is a beautiful turntable!!! I wish you many hours of vinyl playback bliss.

Let the music play!!!

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Packgrog » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:39 am

Mother of god... WANT. Even just the tonearm alone, but the rest is glorious as well. Nice job!
VPI Scout Jr., Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Audio Sensibility Impact SE Phono Cable, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena
Packgrog

Next

Return to Customer Pictures