DIY Digital Tachometer using Arduino Uno

DIY Digital Tachometer using Arduino Uno

Postby Ducky » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:21 pm

I've been following a thread on DIYAudio for some time now; a group of folks have been working on a digital tachometer for turntables using an Arduino Uno platform. They finally have something working pretty well, so I bought the parts and assembled one myself.

I was able to fit it in a small case that I bought for a previous project, that fits nicely on top of my DIY power supply. The Arduino board was $20 on e-Bay and the LCD display was less than $10. The sensor PCB is available as a shared project on oshpark for $5. With a 9V wall wart, my total cost is <$50.

Uno Tach.JPG
Uno Tach.JPG (252.14 KiB) Viewed 477 times

Inside.JPG
Inside.JPG (216.92 KiB) Viewed 477 times

Sensor.JPG
Sensor.JPG (253.52 KiB) Viewed 477 times
Ducky

Re: DIY Digital Tachometer using Arduino Uno

Postby Brf » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:42 pm

Nicely done!! I've always wonder what you are up to next. ;)
Brf
Site Admin

Postby 10ovr » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:04 am

Being the Phoenix is no longer I wonder if the PCB sensor would work with the Roadrunner Tach ???
10ovr

Postby Dorian » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:24 am

Nicely done Ducky!
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith MIMC Star | iFi iPhono v2 (Herron VTPH-2A ordered) | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby jonathanb » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:42 am

10ovr wrote:Being the Phoenix is no longer I wonder if the PCB sensor would work with the Roadrunner Tach ???

That appears to be a Phoenix pcb sensor.
jonathanb

Postby Packgrog » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:43 pm

Yes, the sensor is exactly the same one that used to be sold with the Roadrunner, but you have to solder the parts together yourself (which is why I didn't go that route).

I made my own version of this, and while not nearly as pretty as Ducky's work, mine actually works as a full Roadrunner, interfacing with the Falcon I managed to purchase a couple of months back. Works great, looks awful. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZhpSJ3L3x4
VPI Scout Jr., Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Audio Sensibility Impact SE Phono Cable, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena
Packgrog

Return to Customer Pictures