Prime is Sounding Fantastic

Re: Prime is Sounding Fantastic

Postby Dorian » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:57 pm

That's a Boston Audio Mat2 and yes a Bren1 weight. To be honest I haven't compared it to bare platter and screw down clamp. I had the Mat2 and and Bren1 on the old Traveler and liked the combo so just brought them over to the Prime. I'd have to redo the whole setup to do a fair comparison without the Mat and don't really want to do that.

Not the stock pulley no, Soundstage Direct installed the HRX Pulley for me at no extra charge. All speed adjustments done by the Eagle and Roadrunner.
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith MIMC Star | iFi iPhono v2 (Herron VTPH-2A ordered) | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby Packgrog » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:07 pm

Gotcha, all good! HRX pulley + multi-belt + Eagle & Roadrunner = perfect sense. Intriguing combo with the weight and mat.
VPI Scout Jr., Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Audio Sensibility Impact SE Phono Cable, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena
Packgrog

Postby 10ovr » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:17 pm

Packgrog wrote:
Very cool, man! I've always loved the Prime. I'll never be able to afford one (trying to sell off enough other stuff to save up for a Scout myself), but I love them. Cheers!

Don't sell your self short,,There well be Primes coming up for sale as people move up the ladder,,Just saw SSD had a prime for 2499.00 B stock,,,Save alittle longer and get what you want,,,You have youth on your side,, :D
10ovr

Postby Dorian » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:24 pm

Just setup new Sound Anchor stands yesterday. Holy crap what a big improvement! Soundstage much wider (perhaps obviously), taller and deeper. Dramatic improvement in amount and clarity of bass and overall instrument detail and separation. I had a friend over and he kept asking me if I had a subwoofer hidden in the cabinet, the bass was so meaty. Incredible sound from the two small LS50s!
Attachments
IMG_6969.JPG
IMG_6969.JPG (1.73 MiB) Viewed 883 times
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith MIMC Star | iFi iPhono v2 (Herron VTPH-2A ordered) | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby Marc » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:12 am

Dorian wrote:Just setup new Sound Anchor stands yesterday. Holy crap what a big improvement! Soundstage much wider (perhaps obviously), taller and deeper. Dramatic improvement in amount and clarity of bass and overall instrument detail and separation. I had a friend over and he kept asking me if I had a subwoofer hidden in the cabinet, the bass was so meaty. Incredible sound from the two small LS50s!

Now you have me tempted to get the Sound Anchor stands!! Question, did you keep the rubber feet on the LS50 or did you take them off when using the stand?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
VPI Aries 3D| Ortofon Quintet Black| Musical Fidelity M6si | KEF LS50 in Frosted Black | AudioQuest Victoria & Rocket 88
Marc
Site Admin

Postby DrumTemp » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:20 am

I remember when I switched out the "Vanderstands" of my early Model 3 speakers for the then new Sound Anchor stands. Just as you described, major improvement in bass depth and solidity, and overall improvement in image focus. Apparently, Richard Vandersteen was very impressed with the Sound Anchor stands as well; they became standard issue with the Model 3.
Avenger Reference, Graham Phantom III, Benz Micro LP S, AI Mod 3B, Pass Labs X250.8, Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT
DrumTemp

Postby Dorian » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:05 pm

Marc wrote:Now you have me tempted to get the Sound Anchor stands!! Question, did you keep the rubber feet on the LS50 or did you take them off when using the stand?

Dude you HAVE to get them, they are a SIGNFICANT upgrade. Sound Anchor actually provide blu-tack and recommend using that between the speaker and stand; I just left the KEF rubber feet on.

I got the Single-Post Stands, cost including shipping was $396. Money very well spent. They come prefilled with deadening material, each stand weighs ~30lbs.
Dorian

Postby Marc » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:51 pm

Dorian wrote:
Marc wrote:Now you have me tempted to get the Sound Anchor stands!! Question, did you keep the rubber feet on the LS50 or did you take them off when using the stand?

Dude you HAVE to get them, they are a SIGNFICANT upgrade. Sound Anchor actually provide blu-tack and recommend using that between the speaker and stand; I just left the KEF rubber feet on.

I got the Single-Post Stands, cost including shipping was $396. Money very well spent. They come prefilled with deadening material, each stand weighs ~30lbs.

Now you really have me tempted!!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
VPI Aries 3D| Ortofon Quintet Black| Musical Fidelity M6si | KEF LS50 in Frosted Black | AudioQuest Victoria & Rocket 88
Marc
Site Admin

Postby Dorian » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:13 pm

Marc wrote:Now you really have me tempted!!

I don't work for them or have any financial interest in them, by the way. Perhaps I should though!
Dorian

Postby Brf » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:19 pm

Sound Anchor make great products and they are really committed to the LS50's by offering 6 different models specifically designed for that speaker.
Brf
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Customer Pictures