Prime is Sounding Fantastic

Prime is Sounding Fantastic

Postby Dorian » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:57 pm

Worth the effort to really get it dialed in. Sounds great. Huge improvement over the old Traveler.
Attachments
IMG_6687.JPG
IMG_6687.JPG (1.53 MiB) Viewed 1435 times
Last edited by Dorian on Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Re: Prime is Sounding Fantastic

Postby mreeter » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:28 pm

Very, very nice. I can see you've been after the platter with a little Mothers :shock: Clean set-up, I like it! Congrats :!:
VPI Classic Signature SE/Soundsmith Zephyr
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
Rogue Audio M-180 Monoblock Amps
Dynaudio Contour S3.4LE
MIT S1 Shotgun Wires
mreeter

Postby Dorian » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:26 pm

Thanks! Actually the platter looks a lot better in this photo than it does in person. I did polish it with the Mothers Mag polish, but got quite a few fingerprints on it putting the belts back on. I need to give it another go with some of those cotton gloves.
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby Packgrog » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:45 pm

Consider me jealous! Lovely setup!
VPI Scout Jr., Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Audio Sensibility Impact SE Phono Cable, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena
Packgrog

Postby MMMC » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:39 am

Dorian,

Congratulations on completing your Prime setup to your satisfaction. I remember reading your post referencing a $1,000 upgrade kitty for your Traveler, and oh my, how far you have traveled on that $1,000. :mrgreen: It looks worth every penny, and then some. I believe there is more to be obtained with my new table, but will take a break and revisit the complete setup with the arrival of the Mint protractor. Enjoy the music!

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby topcat84 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:54 am

Hi Dorian!!
Love your setup!! Can I ask where you purchased your light that's next to your VPI TT? I've been searching for some time now and really like that one. Cheers!!
McIntosh 2105/McIntosh C28/McIntosh MR78/VPI Classic w/3D Tonearm/VPI Ring Clamp/VPI HRX Weight/Teac TN-300/audio technica AT-LP120-USB/Sony TC-756 RTR/Nakamichi BX-300 Cassette/Marantz SA8005 CD/Soundscraftsmen RP2215-R Equalizer/JBL L200/Klipsch RF-7 II
topcat84

Postby Dorian » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:19 pm

MMMC wrote:Dorian,

Congratulations on completing your Prime setup to your satisfaction. I remember reading your post referencing a $1,000 upgrade kitty for your Traveler, and oh my, how far you have traveled on that $1,000. :mrgreen: It looks worth every penny, and then some. I believe there is more to be obtained with my new table, but will take a break and revisit the complete setup with the arrival of the Mint protractor. Enjoy the music!

MMMC

Thanks MMMC. Yes I really did stretch that $1K a lot didn't I? ;)

Funny, I also am planning to check the setup again with a Mint protractor. I had a Mint on my Traveler and it yielded excellent results. Although the Prime is sounding fantastic so I think I must have gotten it pretty close.
Last edited by Dorian on Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dorian

Postby Dorian » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:22 pm

topcat84 wrote:Hi Dorian!!
Love your setup!! Can I ask where you purchased your light that's next to your VPI TT? I've been searching for some time now and really like that one. Cheers!!

Thanks topcat appreciate the kind words.

That is a Littlite, here's the link to the exact one I bought: LW-18-LED Dimmable LED Gooseneck Desk Light With Attached Cast Weighted Base https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BMFKRC/re ... HybJ3DMTB2

It's not cheap but it's very solid and works great.
Dorian

Postby topcat84 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:34 pm

Hi Dorian!!
Thanks for the info. I've heard great things about the Littlite Gooseneck and that's just what I intend to order. Thanks again for your help!! Cheers!!
McIntosh 2105/McIntosh C28/McIntosh MR78/VPI Classic w/3D Tonearm/VPI Ring Clamp/VPI HRX Weight/Teac TN-300/audio technica AT-LP120-USB/Sony TC-756 RTR/Nakamichi BX-300 Cassette/Marantz SA8005 CD/Soundscraftsmen RP2215-R Equalizer/JBL L200/Klipsch RF-7 II
topcat84

Postby Packgrog » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:45 pm

Wait, so you're using a mat and a Bren1 weight? What mat are you using? Have you found this combo to sound better than the bare metal and the screw-down clamp?

Cool to see the double belt action. Are you using the stock pulley? I've always been curious how that might work, given that the stock pulley grooves are different diameters for fine speed adjustment. Does the double belt help or hurt with different diameters? I've also read something about people using silk surgical thread with the Eagle or SDS to bring the speed back up (I tried it once with my Michell, but could never get the speed adjusted high enough). I don't think that trick works with the ADS, though.

Very cool, man! I've always loved the Prime. I'll never be able to afford one (trying to sell off enough other stuff to save up for a Scout myself), but I love them. Cheers!
VPI Scout Jr., Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Audio Sensibility Impact SE Phono Cable, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena
Packgrog

Next

Return to Customer Pictures