Will this diy platter work?

Will this diy platter work?

Postby flash01 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:58 pm

Guess what it is? Yup, you you are right its a vinyl record. I have not tried it yet, but i hope it works because it took me several hours to cut. I have the platter with the raised center, so i needed the big donut hole. I will let you know how it sounds having a record on a record. I went with white so it would look cool, and i do like the look. Has this ever been done before? The outer lip was also cut to fit the size of the scout platter.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 2380 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 2380 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 2380 times
flash01

Re: Will this diy platter work?

Postby 10ovr » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:39 pm

Putting a record on top of a record is going to scuff you records up,,,, :?
10ovr

Postby flash01 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:42 pm

I never thought of that. I will get rid of it for sure. Thanks!
flash01

Postby 10ovr » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:45 pm

But I have to say you were thinking out side of the box,,And thats a good thing,,, :D
10ovr

Postby Chupacabra » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:09 pm

You could try an Achromat. It's very similar to what you're trying to do and won't damage your records. Supposed to be pretty good.
Chupacabra

Postby flash01 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:10 pm

I think i fixed the issue. I wet sanded with 600 sandpaper and it is smooth as glass now. Do you think somehow it coud still scuff the lp's. I played my first record and i do notice a big difference!
flash01

Postby Waxxy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:59 pm

It won't scuff your records. Even before sanding it would not have scuffed your records. Plenty of VPI users clamp their records to a bare metal platter. The softer vinyl is no more risky than that!

What might scuff your records is dust / grit getting between your mat and the record, but that would apply to any hard mat / platter.

It probably looks much better sanded though. Great effort...I dig it.
Waxxy

Postby 10ovr » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:52 am

Waxxy wrote:It won't scuff your records. Even before sanding it would not have scuffed your records. Plenty of VPI users clamp their records to a bare metal platter. The softer vinyl is no more risky than that!

What might scuff your records is dust / grit getting between your mat and the record, but that would apply to any hard mat / platter.

Putting two unmatched grove surfaces together is going to cause problems ,,Back in the days when you could stack albums on a spindle, records got scuffed bad,,Putting a record on top of a record you are going to get slippage between the two,,,,Totally different then putting an album on a smooth metal surface,, I guess we agree to disagree LOL
10ovr

Postby Brf » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:12 am

10ovr wrote:
Waxxy wrote:It won't scuff your records. Even before sanding it would not have scuffed your records. Plenty of VPI users clamp their records to a bare metal platter. The softer vinyl is no more risky than that!

Putting two unmatched grove surfaces together is going to cause problems ,,Back in the days when you could stack albums on a spindle, records got scuffed bad,,Putting a record on top of a record you are going to get slippage between the two,,,,Totally different then putting an album on a smooth metal surface,, I guess we agree to disagree LOL

Did you ever wonder why the record label and the lead in grove were raised? This was to prevent damage to the record grooves when album were stacked in an automatic changer.

Admittedly, there is a big difference between gently placing an album on top on one another and dropping it from an automatic changer, therefore, I believe that Waxxy and 10ovr are both right, but I like the conservative approach you took by polishing the record surface.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby 10ovr » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:41 am

So my question is why was the platter cut with a raised center ???
10ovr

Next

Return to Customer Pictures