VPI Treason (sort-of)

VPI Treason (sort-of)

Postby teenage diplomat » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:52 pm

As some of you who have read my posts know, I'm a happy owner of a VPI HRX equipped with a superplatter and 12" 3D arm. I consider it my destination turntable and have not the least bit of interest in an "upgrade" to the Avenger, swapping the SDS for the ADS or performing a retrofit of the new magnetic drive platter. I have what I like and like what I have.

And yet...

Hearing the news that Phoenix Engineering was going out of business, I decided that I needed a new toy. So I bought the PE Roadrunner tachometer. I hooked it up today and I must say I like it. Even for me, a guy with a full compliment of 10 thumbs, installation was a snap. And it certainly is an educational tool. It reveals subtle speed variations that were completely unseen (and frankly unheard) when I used the KAB strobe and disk to set speed.

But...I also have to say that this toy could quickly lead to the tachometer version of audiophilia nervosa. Being a belt drive with a fair few miles on it, I saw the display change frequently. Sometimes I chased the magic 33.333, other times I just let it be reasoning that there isn't any audible difference between that number and one a few thousands higher or lower. I suspect that once I get used to it, I'll set and (mostly) forget it. But for now, the novelty value alone gets the display lots of my attention.
Attachments
IMG_4233.JPG
IMG_4233.JPG (1.46 MiB) Viewed 4368 times
teenage diplomat

Re: VPI Treason (sort-of)

Postby jonathanb » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:08 pm

I find it best to locate the tachometer at one of the sides of my turntable so that it's not visible while I'm listening. If I gotta check the speed, it's easy to take a peak but the rest of the time I can simply forget it's there.
jonathanb

Postby Gary1955 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:25 pm

I had placed a small piece of black electrical tape on the last digit so it reads 33.33 and is visible from my seating position.
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover, PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamp.
Gary1955

Postby MMMC » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:14 am

Gary1955 wrote:I had placed a small piece of black electrical tape on the last digit so it reads 33.33 and is visible from my seating position.

Gary,
Considering I am without my SDS and just installed my HRX, which Phoneix product provides speed control only. I really care nothing about the forever rolling speed readout. Until I regain my SDS, I just want accurate speed control at less than purchasing a new VPI controller. It's strictly a budget limitation purchase.

Thanks

MMMC

PS. I Know about the Project speed controller, but it does not achieve universal results based on the reviews.
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby madrac » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:05 am

MMMC -
Phoenix Engineering Eagle or Falcon. Phoenix Engineering has closed. So, do not know if any dealers have product available. You'd probably need the Eagle as the Falcon is for lower wattage motors (<5, I believe), but have read about people adding heat sinks to the Falcon to work with higher wattage motors.
madrac

Postby 10ovr » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:17 am

madrac wrote:MMMC -
Phoenix Engineering Eagle or Falcon. Phoenix Engineering has closed. So, do not know if any dealers have product available. You'd probably need the Eagle as the Falcon is for lower wattage motors (<5, I believe), but have read about people adding heat sinks to the Falcon to work with higher wattage motors.

The Eagles are all gone,,Hi-Fi Heaven jacked up the price and they are out of stock too,,,Still some Falcons and Tach's out there,,,But thats it,,,
10ovr

Postby Analog Aecad » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:20 pm

MMMC wrote:...which Phoneix product provides speed control only[?] I really care nothing about the forever rolling speed readout.

This might be moot given the unavailability, but the RoadRunner, while functioning as a tachometer that monitors the platter speed, has the additional benefit of supplying that data to a Phoneix PSU. From the product literature (as of 03-2016):
The tachometer can be connected directly to the...PSU via a 3 wire serial cable in order to synchronize the platter speed. Operation is completely automatic with no user intervention needed. The tachometer outputs the speed reading once per revolution. The PSU compares this reading to the [user set] speed on the display and can make micro-fine adjustments to the output frequency to lock the turntable speed to within ±0.005 RPM. The adjustment is done slowly and evenly over the entire next revolution and is inaudible to the listener (in most cases, the adjustment is <0.0005 RPM per step). The turntable remains on speed independent of the belt tension, bearing oil viscosity, drag from the needle or any other variables that cause the table to drift over time with speed.
VPI Prime, HRX Center Weight, Periphery Ring, HRX Pulley w/3 belts, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Dynavector 20x2L
Analog Aecad

Postby Gary1955 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:42 pm

I use the Eagle and Roadrunner combo, a wonderful improvement in maintaining a very accurate and consistently precise speed on my rim-drive, which previously with the SDS wandered pretty erratically. The improvement is audible.
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover, PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamp.
Gary1955

Postby Orchids1 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:22 pm

I have a lightly used Falcon. I'll sell it for 50% of whatever retail was before it was discontinued.
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby teenage diplomat » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:39 pm

Orchids1, assuming the falcon is the higher output (eagle lower, right?) I'll take it.
teenage diplomat

Next

Return to Customer Pictures