Vpi 10 3D and Miyajima Kansui

Re: Vpi 10 3D and Miyajima Kansui

Postby Jazzgene » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:35 am

MMMC,

I hope to have some off days in Japan to check out some audio gear. Would love to get my hands on Takatsuki 300b tubes. Japan seems to be the land of SET amps and horn speakers. Also check out some cartridges. Although Kansui sounds great.

I would love to have my new album on something like a 200g 45rpm vinyl. My album Eternal Monomyth is on 180g 33rpm vinyl and I think it really sounds good. But this new one, I hired a great engineer and the audio is really incredible!

I think I will spin some Coltrane now. :D

Gene
Jazzgene

Postby MMMC » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:13 pm

Jazzgene wrote:MMMC,

I hope to have some off days in Japan to check out some audio gear. Would love to get my hands on Takatsuki 300b tubes. Japan seems to be the land of SET amps and horn speakers. Also check out some cartridges. Although Kansui sounds great.

I would love to have my new album on something like a 200g 45rpm vinyl. My album Eternal Monomyth is on 180g 33rpm vinyl and I think it really sounds good. But this new one, I hired a great engineer and the audio is really incredible!

I think I will spin some Coltrane now. :D

Gene

Gene,

Let me be the first to vote YES!, for your 45rpm vinyl production concept. I also love the 300B SET thought direction. I am an unapologetic SET amp lover, but have not heard the Takatsuki 300B tubes. If you worrry about sufficient power to drive your speakers, you can consider a multiple 300B tube powered "push pull" amp design instead of SET mono blocks. At about $2,000 a pair for Takatsuki 300B tubes, the Emission Labs 300B Mesh plates could be an alternative 300B, http://www.emissionlabs.com/html/products/products.htm but I think currently, Takatsuki may be considered the number one 300B(current production) offered.
The currency exchange rate when you are there will be interesting also for that purchase. so until you write your next installment of the "jazzgene", let the music of John Coltrane play! Btw, Coltrane is the "C" in MMMC.

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Dorian » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:10 am

Hey Gene, question on the guitars in your profile pic. The big one looks to be either a Gibson or Epiphone ES-335 but what is that small one? Is that like the one Marty McFly blew out Doc’s speaker with in Back to the Future!? :D
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Jazzgene » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:17 pm

Dorian,

Gibson ‘60 ES-335 VOS and the small one is a lapaxe travel guitar. www.lapaxe.com
Shorter scale neck but plays and sounds really great.
Jazzgene

Postby Dorian » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:35 am

Jazzgene wrote:Dorian,

Gibson ‘60 ES-335 VOS and the small one is a lapaxe travel guitar. http://www.lapaxe.com
Shorter scale neck but plays and sounds really great.

Cool thanks.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Drew769 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:25 pm

Gorgeous new Aries 3D! I have your table's twin! I'm enjoying mine, too.

Drew
VPI Aries 3D
Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner
Vandersteen Treos
Vandersteen 2 WQ subs
Modwright LS100 Preamp
Rogue Audio Stereo 100
Rogue Audio Ares Phono Pre
VAS MC-ONE SUT
Ortofon Cadenza Black
VAS Nova Signature
Rega Planet 2000
Sony HAP Z1ES
Drew769

Postby Jazzgene » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:21 pm

Drew,

Yeah, I think the Aries 3 is one of the best deck from VPI. Sort of like a smaller HR-X.
Jazzgene

Postby Jazzgene » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:57 pm

MMMC,

Yes, I am sold on SET amps. My current pair of speakers are more than enough for even a 2 watt Decware amp. Way too loud with just 2 watts. So with my 300b monoblocks, I can blow the windows out in my listening space.

One day, I would like to try out some horn speakers with my SET amps.

What was it? Monk, Miles, Mingus, Coltrane, right? Some of the greatest jazz artists in my opinion.
Jazzgene

Postby MMMC » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:31 am

Yes, I am sold on SET amps. My current pair of speakers are more than enough for even a 2 watt Decware amp. Way too loud with just 2 watts. So with my 300b monoblocks, I can blow the windows out in my listening space.

What was it? Monk, Miles, Mingus, Coltrane, right? Some of the greatest jazz artists in my opinion.

Jazzgene,
Yes, all the artist's are correctI I refer to them in a sort of alliterative alphabetical order for the M's, Miles, Mingus, Monk, and Coltrane. Your version works well too. Who built your 300B mono blocks? I will say I have not heard a well designed low watt SET "triode" amp I did not like, and of course I'm sure they're out there. At your musical level, your ears will not betray you. As a member of the Klipsch forum would proclaim, the magic musical formula was tubes, SET amps, and vinyl. Your Decware experience relieves the fear most audio enthusiast fear of how much music a few watts can translate into wonderful music. Please keep me posted.

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby miner » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:46 pm

Jazzgene,
Did your Aries 3D come with those feet or did you replace them? My Aries 3 came with the Classic feet.
McIntosh C2300 pre; McIntosh MC452 amp; McIntosh MCD500 SACD; VPI Aries 3 with 3D arm and Ortofon Cadenza Black MC cartridge; Manley Chinook SE; PS Audio P5 regulator; VPI SDS; Pioneer RT707 R2R; Nakamichi ZX-7 cass.; Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M; REL B1
miner

PreviousNext

Return to Customer Pictures