Vpi 10 3D and Miyajima Kansui

Re: Vpi 10 3D and Miyajima Kansui

Postby Harry » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:50 pm

Beautiful Aries and nice setup. The technical level of posters on this forum amazes me!
Where have you guys been for the last 20 years.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Jbelben » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:17 am

Hi

First if congratulations on your second album. I will be ordering the vinyl later today. I too am new to your work.

Second, can you talk about the individual benefits of the Dr. Feichert software and Uni-Din protractor? For the best absolute results, does one need both or is it one or the other? If both, what role does each play?

Thanks

Jerry
Jbelben

Postby Jazzgene » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:20 am

The protractor is only for setting up the zenith of the cartridge. It is an amazing piece of work by Daniel. Templates for Baerwald, Stevenson, etc. Do a search and you will find great info on this tool.

The Feickert software is very handy to measure your table's performance in an empirical manner. Wow and flutter, speed, harmonic distortion, tone arm resonance, and of course setting the azimuth of the cartridge. Just keep in mind, a test record is what it is and is not the end all.
Jazzgene

Postby Jazzgene » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:33 pm

Just noticed a huge sonic change with the Kansui at 240 hours on my Aries 3 with the upgraded 10 3D arm. The sound is more organic and less trebly. Really a sweet sound in my opinion.
Jazzgene

Postby Jazzgene » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:08 pm

I was having an issue with one LP and decided to go over my Aries 3, 10 3D arm, and Miyajima Kansui setup. What I ended up with is vtf at 2.5g, no anti-skating, and a new zenith alignment by Clear Audio (70 mm diameter) to provide the more musical result. Prior, I used the VPI supplied template and a Uni-tractor with a Uni-din template.
Jazzgene

Postby Dorian » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:01 pm

I appreciate the attention to detail in your setup Gene. I too use the Adjust+ software for azimuth with excellent results. I use the MintLP Best Tractor for setting overhang and zenith also with excellent results. Did you ever try this tool?
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Jazzgene » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:08 pm

I agree, the Adjust+ is a very useful tool. I purchased the Mint Protractor right after buying the Aries 3. The mint is made specifically for the 10.5i arm. I found it didn’t sound any better for me than the VPI jig that came with the table. I then checked out Daniel’s Uni-tractor and his Uni-din null points. That made a positive difference. Then just this weekend, checked out the Clearaudio jig. I find most of my albums to be cut around 70mm. So I went with that and is sounding quite great. Of course, in this hobby, I may continue to tweak further but for now, really digging the music coming from my Aries 3. :D
Jazzgene

Postby MMMC » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:06 am

Jazzgene wrote:I agree, the Adjust+ is a very useful tool. I purchased the Mint Protractor right after buying the Aries 3. The mint is made specifically for the 10.5i arm. I found it didn’t sound any better for me than the VPI jig that came with the table. I then checked out Daniel’s Uni-tractor and his Uni-din null points. That made a positive difference. Then just this weekend, checked out the Clearaudio jig. I find most of my albums to be cut around 70mm. So I went with that and is sounding quite great. Of course, in this hobby, I may continue to tweak further but for now, really digging the music coming from my Aries 3. :D

Gene,
Great to see a post from you. As the perfectionist I know you are, it's always great when you find that extra bit of performance that had eluded you. Continue creating great music to share with the world!
Is there another album in the incubator?

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Jazzgene » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:03 pm

Hi MMMC!

Hope all is well. I bet your HR-X is sounding great with ZYX Universe and RCM Sensor preamp!

As a matter of fact, my group just finished recording a new album and we are now in the mixing stage. I will be taking my group for a 3 week Japan Tour in April so looking forward to that.

I picked up couple of 45rpm 180gram double albums and gotta say, sounds really great. Much better than the 33rpm thin vinyl which is most of my collection. But at 50 bucks a pop, it has to be once in a while. Coltrane and Berlioz.
Jazzgene

Postby MMMC » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:00 am

Jazzgene wrote:Hi MMMC!

Hope all is well. I bet your HR-X is sounding great with ZYX Universe and RCM Sensor preamp!

As a matter of fact, my group just finished recording a new album and we are now in the mixing stage. I will be taking my group for a 3 week Japan Tour in April so looking forward to that.

I picked up couple of 45rpm 180gram double albums and gotta say, sounds really great. Much better than the 33rpm thin vinyl which is most of my collection. But at 50 bucks a pop, it has to be once in a while. Coltrane and Berlioz.

Jazzgene,

Congrats on the new album in the works, AND the upcoming Japan tour which should be enough to keep excitement at a high level. I must confess I am really enjoying the HRX\Universe II\RCM Sensor combo very much. I had been hoping to add a second tonearm mount setup to the HRX, but have not been able to spring the funds to implement it the way I envisioned it in my head with a Schroeder as my second tonearm. Now looking to a possible plan B with VPI's new arm which should pretty much be a plug and play implementation. I will have to be patient and see what additional financial challenges the rest of the year presents before making a move. BTW, I realize that LP vinyl production is always a very large dollar enterprise effort, but hope your new musical offerings will eventually find their way to some shiny vinyl LPs, but most importantly, continue to make beautiful music offerings for us music/jazz enthusiasts. All the very best to you and your group!

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

PreviousNext

Return to Customer Pictures