VPI HRX Reference - Magnetic Drive Platter - JMW 12-3DR

Re: VPI HRX Reference - Magnetic Drive Platter - JMW 12-3DR

Postby baddog » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:59 am

Johnny wrote:
baddog wrote:
Brf wrote:I believe that this is the first HRX table with both the new magnetic drive platter and JMW 12-3DR tonearm.

The mag drive platter is a work of art and ingeniously implemented. So far, all I will tell you that this is the quietest VPI table produced to date. The sound floor is an abyss.

So after having my Avenger for a while now I can state that I fully appreciate and understand the statement about the sound floor being an abyss. It is almost spooky, compared to any of the turntables I have come from, and really hard to appreciate what Brf means unless you have had the pleasure of hearing or rather "not hearing" the magnetic drive platter.

I am so glad that I found this forum prior to my purchase and decided to take a chance on the magnetic platter. For some time, I would chuckle to myself thinking how anyone would invest that kind of money on a magnetic drive platter (to each their own...) , now I understand.

It's sounds like you owe Brf a beer, just saying ;)

Good point, I owe him a case at this point... :shock:
Roon | Intel NUC6i5SYH | VPI Avenger Reference | Devialet 440 Pro | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Stillpoint Apertures | LPs
baddog

Postby MMMC » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:02 pm

baddog wrote:
Brf wrote:I believe that this is the first HRX table with both the new magnetic drive platter and JMW 12-3DR tonearm.

The mag drive platter is a work of art and ingeniously implemented. So far, all I will tell you that this is the quietest VPI table produced to date. The sound floor is an abyss.

So after having my Avenger for a while now I can state that I fully appreciate and understand the statement about the sound floor being an abyss. It is almost spooky, compared to any of the turntables I have come from, and really hard to appreciate what Brf means unless you have had the pleasure of hearing or rather "not hearing" the magnetic drive platter.

I am so glad that I found this forum prior to my purchase and decided to take a chance on the magnetic platter. For some time, I would chuckle to myself thinking how anyone would invest that kind of money on a magnetic drive platter (to each their own...) , now I understand.

baddog + all,

Though I presently don't have adequate reserves to have a magnetic platter, I have long been fascinated, and an admirer of the J C Verdier La Platine Turntable. Just a few years back, when turntables weren't a hot audio item, you could find a used one at a very sweet price, like the one in the photo that sold for $5,099. No way you can get that level of price for one again, so I don't think you were taking a big chance. I feel you gents all made a very intelligent decision when you purchased. The magnetic platter was already a proven high performance design.

I don't believe Harry has posted a photo of the magnet configuration inside the platter, so this photo has a pretty clear look and the magnets size and arrangement in the Verdier. Such a simple application of the laws of magnetics. Elimination of the motor directly connected to the platter makes all the difference in the world with respect to noise.
I am positive you, Gary1955, and Brf are experiencing great enjoyment and appreciation with your turntables. There is really nothing not to like.
I hope to catch up in the next year or two.
Let the music play!

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby baddog » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:13 pm

@MMMC - Always enjoy your posts and thanks for sharing the pictures and information on the J C Verdier La Platine Turntable. $6k, that would have been quite the bargain. I hope you are able to "catch up" soon. Your comments are spot on. I am positive that with a clean record, no one would be able to identify it as vinyl as opposed to CD. It's just dead quiet, never mind all the positive attributes that come through.
Roon | Intel NUC6i5SYH | VPI Avenger Reference | Devialet 440 Pro | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Stillpoint Apertures | LPs
baddog

Postby Brf » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:14 am

MMMC, as you know I own a J C Verdier La Platine. It was my very first "super" table and I have owned it for over 15 years. It is a fantastic table and it has a lot of sentimental value to me.

The Verdier has more in common with the Titan than a VPI equipped mag drive table. Both the Titan and Verdier both uses magnets to support the weight of the platter, but this is where the similarity ends. With the VPI mag drive system, the motor drives a "drive" platter which uses magnetic attraction to drive the slave platter (top platter) which effectively decouples the record playing slave platter from the drive system. The Verdier's motor drive the platter directly.

I have not seen any pictures on the web detailing the mag drive system or the placement of the magnets. Unlike the Verdier table, in which the magnet ring is easily seen, the VPI magnets are buried within the platters. I have attached a few pictures of my mag drive assembly.
Attachments
Mag1.jpg
Mag1.jpg (155.1 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
mag2.jpg
mag2.jpg (104.48 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
mag3.jpg
mag3.jpg (137.03 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
Brf
Site Admin

Postby MMMC » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:23 pm

Brf,

As usual, thanks for the platter photos for lifting the fog to assist with greater understanding, and also demonstrate the never ending inventive mind of Harry. As someone said in a movie, "I've got to get myself one of those...".

One additional question. I remember your remark about the performance of the HRX relative to the Verdier. Now that you have had time to break in the HRX, does it exceed the performance level of the Verdier, or exist as an equal. I only ask because you own both, though I suspect each may have one attribute that exceeds the other. Needless to say, regardless of your evaluation, my turntable of the future will be the HRX magnetic platterd "Reference", if that is the designation of the Magnetic platter equipped HRX. I also hope that by the time my pockets are ready, the magnetic platter will also be a user installed upgrade. The last piece to my ultimate turntable. All very exciting!!

MMMC

PS. I should never forget to state that the HRX is one hell of a turntable, even without the Magnetic platter!!!
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Johnny » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:18 pm

Cool pictures of the mag drive. I have scoured the web and those are the only pictures in existence that shows the vpi mag drive system unassembled. Perhaps that is due to its relatively small numbers, or owners don't document things like Brf does.

Looks like high quality machining.
Johnny

Postby Brf » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:42 am

MMMC wrote:Brf,

As usual, thanks for the platter photos for lifting the fog to assist with greater understanding, and also demonstrate the never ending inventive mind of Harry. As someone said in a movie, "I've got to get myself one of those...".

One additional question. I remember your remark about the performance of the HRX relative to the Verdier. Now that you have had time to break in the HRX, does it exceed the performance level of the Verdier, or exist as an equal. I only ask because you own both, though I suspect each may have one attribute that exceeds the other. Needless to say, regardless of your evaluation, my turntable of the future will be the HRX magnetic platterd "Reference", if that is the designation of the Magnetic platter equipped HRX. I also hope that by the time my pockets are ready, the magnetic platter will also be a user installed upgrade. The last piece to my ultimate turntable. All very exciting!!

MMMC

PS. I should never forget to state that the HRX is one hell of a turntable, even without the Magnetic platter!!!

Both tables are fantastic. The Verdier requires more attention to sound it's best. With its oil leaking bearing, it reminds me of a Harley Davidson, whereby owners just accept it as part of the charm. My Verdier is set up with a Fidelity Research FR64s with a Koetsu Rosewood Signature cartridge. It is a very lush sounding table which will make any record sound good, but is not the last word in detail. It's a 100lb+ table and takes up a lot of room, especially if you use a thread drive system as I do.

For the last 2-years it has resided at a very good friends house where it gets used on a daily basis. My fiend is constantly hounding me to sell it to him, but I am very reluctant, therefore, the best compromise was to just let him use it.

In my main dedicated listening room, I use to run three tables but I have found over the years that I constantly gravitated to one table over and over. I would listen to another table only to validate my preference for the main table. As you are aware, that table is the rim driven HRX with the magnetic drive platter. It allows me to play records without second guessing the analog front end. It's extremely quiet, very detailed without being fatiguing, and reproduces micro and macro dynamics like no other table. Plus, it is simple to use and requires little maintenance.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby MMMC » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:55 am

Brf wrote:
MMMC wrote:Brf,
Both tables are fantastic. The Verdier requires more attention to sound it's best. With its oil leaking bearing, it reminds me of a Harley Davidson, whereby owners just accept it as part of the charm. My Verdier is set up with a Fidelity Research FR64s with a Koetsu Rosewood Signature cartridge. It is a very lush sounding table which will make any record sound good, but is not the last word in detail. It's a 100lb+ table and takes up a lot of room, especially if you use a thread drive system as I do.

For the last 2-years it has resided at a very good friends house where it gets used on a daily basis. My fiend is constantly hounding me to sell it to him, but I am very reluctant, therefore, the best compromise was to just let him use it.

In my main dedicated listening room, I use to run three tables but I have found over the years that I constantly gravitated to one table over and over. I would listen to another table only to validate my preference for the main table. As you are aware, that table is the rim driven HRX with the magnetic drive platter. It allows me to play records without second guessing the analog front end. It's extremely quiet, very detailed without being fatiguing, and reproduces micro and macro dynamics like no other table. Plus, it is simple to use and requires little maintenance.
[/quote]

Brf,

Thank you for taking the time draw out the details of living with "La Verdier", a legendary turntable. I had never read any reports of the oil issue, which removes a bit of the charm, but still an experience, and a table worthy of owning. Do you think a top of the line Allaerts, like a Mc1 boron mk11, or the Finish gold would remove some of the warmth,while adding detail to La Verdier? Nothing sounds like an Allaerts cartridge, if you can live with the wait to get one. Well, I can now at least begin to validate the praise long attributed to the performance of the HRX, knowing there is even more performance to be experienced in the future with the addition of the magnetic platter. This is a great time to say Thank You to Harry W for making a GREAT world class turntable (HRX), that is affordable to mere working class mortals. I am happy to own one before production ceases. Even happier if I ever add the magnetic platter.

MMMC
MMMC

Postby Brf » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:06 am

Sorry, I have no experience with Allaerts cartridges. For sure, some of the Verdier's lushness could be mitigated with the use of a different cartridge.

As an aside, the J C Verdier La Platine's bearing is designed to leak oil. You add oil through a grub screw port right beside the platter spindle and the oil fills the void between the top of vertical bearing shaft and the platter void. Over time, gravity pulls the oils past the bearing and platter inner side wall and drips onto the plinth. Owners put a blotter under the bearing to absorb the oil.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:02 pm

Well - I finally got a chance to set up this beauty this morning....I Will fine tune things over the next few days but I can tell it is going to be amazing even with my system being cold...Wow Wow Wow

I will remove the protective film once I am sure I am through fiddling....

I'll post a couple more pics below...Redundant I know...BRF, Gary, thanks for pushing me off the wall with your great pics and pioneering spirit...

I've ended up with a spare brand new ADS after all is said and done...Here I come classifieds
Attachments
20170418_113140_resized.jpg
20170418_113140_resized.jpg (976.05 KiB) Viewed 848 times
Last edited by Letsmakeadeal on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Letsmakeadeal

PreviousNext

Return to Customer Pictures