VPI HRX Reference - Magnetic Drive Platter - JMW 12-3DR

Re: VPI HRX Reference - Magnetic Drive Platter - JMW 12-3DR

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:03 pm

Here is a second shot, different angle....
Attachments
20170418_112953_resized.jpg
20170418_112953_resized.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 1319 times
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Gary1955 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:30 pm

Wow, absolutely beautiful Letsmakeadeal, congratulations!!!!! Let us know what your listening impressions are, looks great! Did you get the dual pivot installed? Enjoy!
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover.
Gary1955

Postby MMMC » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:45 pm

Letsmakeadeal wrote:Well - I finally got a chance to set up this beauty this morning....I Will fine tune things over the next few days but I can tell it is going to be amazing even with my system being cold...Wow Wow Wow

I will remove the protective film once I am sure I am through fiddling....

Let'smakeadeal,

Absolutely B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!!

Congratulations!!!!!

Even though I posted that I was going to remove the protective film on my HRX, I still have not because I make the mistake of playing an LP, which leads to second, and a third......etc
The other hold up is performing a complete spit polish and shine of the platter and plinth surface when I remove the film, which I know will surely cause an OCD relapse applying the spit shine. Brf and Gary have established a very high bar as to how an HRX should look.

Enjoy your rim drive, magnetic platter "Reference" HRX.
Let the music play!!!

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Gary1955 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:37 am

MMMC, you will find that when you remove the upper and lower protective film the finish is bright and shiny without doing any polishing at all.

I did buy some Brillianize which I haven't used yet to polish the plinth in the future, along with some micro cloths.
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover.
Gary1955

Postby MMMC » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:26 am

Gary1955 wrote:MMMC, you will find that when you remove the upper and lower protective film the finish is bright and shiny without doing any polishing at all.

I did buy some Brillianize which I haven't used yet to polish the plinth in the future, along with some micro cloths.

Gary1955,

I know you are correct about the gloss of the acrylic when the plastic is removed, and realize I am being a bit anal, BUT, last month I applied just a tiny bit of Mothers to the tops of the corner posts, and the side edges of the aluminum plate, and found that even new, there is some oxidation which dulls the metal just a bit. It was at that point I decided I should apply some Mothers to all the finished surfaces of the platter, and apply polish to all of the top black acrylic surface and sides when I remove the plastic. The Brillianize will repel some of the dust, and provide some anti-static property to the plinth, and the coat of Mothers will help the platter retain a bright sheen much longer before the next application is required. I estimate 3 to 3.5 hours will be required because I will also need to apply Mothers to the flywheel, and to the trim rings on the bottom of the stock feet. The 3.5 hour estimate may even be conservative. I will save some time by not removing the plastic from the bottom of the plinth. I'm sure you know by now, that wrestling matches with the HRX require a certain determined mindset.

So that's my plan, and I don't want to start on a day when I can't complete everything the same day.

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:48 pm

@MMMC

I have worked with acrylic quite a bit over the years....if you plan to do anything to the black acrylic i urge you to go get some black acrylic scraps to practice on. It is so very easy to get micro swirll marks that you may never be able to remove.

I will never use anything on my table's black acrylic besides the lightest dusting with a little Brillianize and the softest cotton cloth.

As far as polishing tbe aluminum, knock yourself out.

Please be careful with that black acrylic
Letsmakeadeal

Postby MMMC » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:14 pm

Let'smakeadeal,

"I will never use anything on my table's black acrylic besides the lightest dusting with a little Brillianize and the softest cotton cloth."

Your above advice is exactly the plan for the black acrylic. The lightest dusting will be with a Swifter duster which is about as light as it gets. No swirl marks on my prior table.

MMMC
MMMC

So I've been racking my brain

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:30 pm

Dilemma -

I will likely use 3 different armwands on my new HRX...My cartridges have different loading requirements and a couple have to go through the Vendetta before the preamp...My MP-1 was modified by Ralph to accommodate two phono inputs and I want to keep that advantage...What to do? But I still want easy arm changes (mainly so I can switch to my Miyajima ZERO without any fuss if I want to spin some mono recordings. Oh, and it does not need to go through the inverting Vendetta SCP-1...

I did not want to cludge on another arm base to my HRX and there is no room for a stand alone arm base.......Brackets? Off table mounting of the second junction box?

Here is a solution: Anyone have any better ideas? It is actually pretty dang solid! :D

I was hoping I could mount them side by side but the screw hole spacing doesn't work and I hate to drill holes in the junction box bases...But I might at some point...
Attachments
20170424_140315_resized.jpg
20170424_140315_resized.jpg (1016.19 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
Last edited by Letsmakeadeal on Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Letsmakeadeal

Re: So I've been racking my brain

Postby spinblackcircle » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:59 pm

Letsmakeadeal wrote:I was hoping I could mount them side by side but the screw hole spacing doesn't work and I hate to drill holes in the junction box bases...But I might at some point...

I would just get a piece of aluminum the length of two junction boxes and the width of one. Then you could just mount the junction boxes to that and that to the VTA tower. That way you would not have to drill into anything VPI related, just a piece of aluminum stock.

The Home Improvement stores usually have aluminum stock that would work perfect.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:24 pm

Good idea Spinblackcircle - Thanks....wish I still had a drill press but definitely doable....I think it will look better if they are side by side. I guess I know what I will be doing tomorrow...

Side by Side - Isn't that the name of a song? :lol:
Letsmakeadeal

PreviousNext

Return to Customer Pictures