Ortofon/Dvector/Benz/AT Styli - Andonstar USB Microscope

Re: Ortofon/Dvector/Benz/AT Styli - Adonstar USB Microscope

Postby popmarter » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:00 pm

Hi Billo, nice pictures. I was wondering if it is possible to get close ups from a vinyl record. I am looking for a microscope to view that. Maybe you would like to try?
popmarter

Postby Analog Aecad » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:52 pm

My initial set up to determine stylus vertical angle of a Dynavector 20x2 LO cart on a Prime w/ 3D arm:

2016-05-10 19.04.49.jpg
2016-05-10 19.04.49.jpg (115.87 KiB) Viewed 1236 times

2016-05-10 19.07.30.jpg
2016-05-10 19.07.30.jpg (98.4 KiB) Viewed 1236 times

DV 20X2-L.jpg
DV 20X2-L.jpg (31.24 KiB) Viewed 1236 times

IME, it takes patience, patience, and more patience. The adjustments that need to be made are very small and the mechanical finish of the inexpensive Adonstar stand/holder doesn't lend itself well to exact micro moves. Nevertheless, it is possible to achieve relatively decent pics.
VPI Prime, HRX Center Weight, Periphery Ring, HRX Pulley w/3 belts, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Dynavector 20x2L
Analog Aecad

Postby billo » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:26 pm

popmarter,
I didn't think to look at the grooves. As it turns out, it's pretty easy to capture. It looks like the darker squiggles are the actual track.

For reference I took the next 2 shots at full magnification. The ruler shows four 1/64 inch markers diagonally so about 1/16 inch.
16 times 6.5 inches diagonally (on my screen - yours may vary) equals to a ratio of about 100:1 (times the track width as compared to the naked eye.)

GROOVY3.jpg
GROOVY3.jpg (87.55 KiB) Viewed 196 times

GROOVY SCALE.jpg
GROOVY SCALE.jpg (108.36 KiB) Viewed 196 times
Last edited by billo on Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
billo

Re: Ortofon/Dvector/Benz/AT Styli - Andonstar USB Microscope

Postby popmarter » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Thanks so much! These pics are absolute stunning! Seems like you're records are rather clean :) :mrgreen: ;)
popmarter

Postby Brf » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:21 pm

Analog Aecad wrote:
IME, it takes patience, patience, and more patience. The adjustments that need to be made are very small and the mechanical finish of the inexpensive Adonstar stand/holder doesn't lend itself well to exact micro moves. Nevertheless, it is possible to achieve relatively decent pics.

The key to making micro adjustments with the Adonstar is not to use the focus knob but to make small adjustments by moving the entire unit by the stand's base.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby billo » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:59 pm

Brf wrote:The key to making micro adjustments with the Adonstar is not to use the focus knob but to make small adjustments by moving the entire unit by the stand's base.

I don't find that the case at all. I raise rather than lower the 'scope into focus, similar to taking up the slack in the VTA tower when setting VTA, or the 'scope slowly sinks out of focus. That's in the vertical plane. In the horizontal, like Analog Aecad shows, you're correct. Moving the base is mandatory.
billo

Postby Analog Aecad » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:42 pm

Brf wrote:The key to making micro adjustments with the Adonstar is not to use the focus knob but to make small adjustments by moving the entire unit by the stand's base.

billo wrote:I don't find that the case at all. I raise rather than lower the 'scope into focus, similar to taking up the slack in the VTA tower when setting VTA, or the 'scope slowly sinks out of focus. That's in the vertical plane. In the horizontal, like Analog Aecad shows, you're correct. Moving the base is mandatory.

[For those of you who are planning on using the "Adonstar" 'scope:]

I picked up the cheapest one. I don't know if the stands of the more expensive Adonstar units on eBay are better. My guess though is probably not. ;)
Regardless, the supplied stand wasn't tall enough to get the 'scope up to the level of the stylus/platter interface. I used a scrap 2x4 with a bar type clamp (red handle sticking out in the 2nd pic) for a stabilizing weight. The stand's base has pads on the underside which were "non-skid" enough to keep it in place. That said, moving (touching) the USB cable was enough to move the 'scope. The column adjustment held the 'scope in the vertical just fine and the clamping around the 'scope was OK. However, on my stand there was play in the column about the horizontal even when tightened up. YMMV
You'll want the 'scope to be perpendicular to the stylus cantilever. Hopefully the cantilever is in alignment with the cartridge body (and arm) which makes it easy to eyeball your set up. Again YMMV
My set up wasn't ideal. Things would have been easier if I had been able to rig up the base for the 'scope stand either aligned with or perpendicular to the 'scope in working orientation. This would have allowed for adjustment movements to be intuitive. But I worked with the room I had. :roll:

Good luck and have phun. :)
VPI Prime, HRX Center Weight, Periphery Ring, HRX Pulley w/3 belts, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Dynavector 20x2L
Analog Aecad

Postby billo » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:12 am

I added a notation to the original post but thought it prudent to state here also. The correct spelling is Andonstar. I had misspelled it "Adonstar" in the original header. Ebay hits increase dramatically with the correct spelling.
billo

Postby billo » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:49 am

Andonstar trivia - The color rendering is just a bit off. These photos show the same 1/4" ceramic bearing. Maybe due to the built in blue(ish) LED's on the Andonstar.

Nikon macro photo: CFL and natural lighting

Andonstar photo: LED lighting

The pencil shape allowed me to remove the spindle and drop the 'scope into the bearing well. Here is the sapphire thrust pad. At extreme magnification the wear looks enormous but at 100 hours the sound is superb. It must be normal wear-in.

The original pad had similar wear but the sound was hmmm... not good. OK, it sucked in a big way.
thrust2.JPG
thrust2.JPG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 196 times

(Nikon)
Last edited by billo on Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
billo

Postby billo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:27 am

This is an Ortofon 540 MKII
Ortofon spec: Fritz Gyger 70
ORTOFON 540 MKII 3.jpg
ORTOFON 540 MKII 3.jpg (63.7 KiB) Viewed 197 times

ORTOFON MKII 4.jpg
ORTOFON MKII 4.jpg (49.45 KiB) Viewed 197 times

ORTOFON540 5.jpg
ORTOFON540 5.jpg (44.72 KiB) Viewed 197 times
billo