VPI Scout Plinth Redux

VPI Scout Plinth Redux

Postby Larry Lshore » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:09 am

I decided to redo the plinth on my Scout for a couple of reasons:

1. Aesthetics. The Black MDF has a certain classic style to it, but I was curious about other looks from different materials.

2. Sonic differences. I have read that the MDF base might be masking some of the finer details of mids and highs.

My first attempt was using solid walnut. I wasn't able to remove the steel plate from the MDF plinth so the hardwood plinth ended up lighter than I would have liked and obviously not as stiff, as it also exhibited more microphonics. The mids and highs seemed a bit brighter as male and female vocals appeared to step forward a bit more compared to the MDF, but the bass receded and was less controlled, sounding fat and booming at times. Not sure if the mids/highs got better or if I just noticed them more with the reduced bass.

DSCN0888.jpg
DSCN0888.jpg (278.07 KiB) Viewed 5049 times

DSCN0889.jpg
DSCN0889.jpg (272.64 KiB) Viewed 5049 times

So, back to the drawing board. Decided to go with a granite plinth this time. Came in at 35 lbs vs 13 for the MDF/steel plate. Big improvement this time. The bass was back in spades and tighter & cleaner than ever. Amazingly, the mids and highs still seemed to be as crisp and forward as with the hardwood plinth.

DSCN0895.jpg
DSCN0895.jpg (276.77 KiB) Viewed 5049 times

DSCN0898.jpg
DSCN0898.jpg (281.55 KiB) Viewed 5049 times
Larry Lshore

Re: VPI Scout Plinth Redux

Postby Mat » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:26 pm

I saw this on one of the other forums, I have to see you sir are ahead of the time! We love the wood/walnut look and without giving too much away, your Scout looks a lot like the one I have in my apartment ;)
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby mreeter » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:57 pm

Oh My, That Granite is gorgeous, how about an X-tra wide plinth to accommodate a 12.5 arm? Such as an older Ares design :idea:
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby Larry Lshore » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:54 pm

Mat wrote:I saw this on one of the other forums, I have to see you sir are ahead of the time! We love the wood/walnut look and without giving too much away, your Scout looks a lot like the one I have in my apartment ;)

I assume you were able to mount a steel plate to the bottom of yours? How was the sound? Did you notice any difference between hardwood and MDF?
Larry Lshore

Postby Brf » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:26 pm

Have you thought about using two sheets of granite sandwiched between a core of material designed to dampen the granite? Sort of a CLD approach.

Btw, the table looks awesome!
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Laurie » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:24 pm

That plinth looks gorgeous - great work.
Laurie

Postby forseti » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:36 pm

I love both the wood and granite!

Any review already from your granite design.......kindly share sonic improvements.
forseti

Postby Larry Lshore » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:14 pm

Thanks. The granite is definitely better than the hardwood and as good or better than the original MDF/Steel. The bass was really lacking with the hardwood and was real wooly and fat, not well controlled. With the granite, the bass has much more punch, but sounds tight and better controlled. I think the mids and highs on the granite are also better than the MDF. Vocals (especially female) are more focused and forward in the sound stage.
Larry Lshore

Postby Johnny » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:07 pm

Very nice job Larry, I really like it.

Could you post a picture of the fully assembled table?
Johnny

Postby forseti » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:39 pm

Larry Lshore wrote:Thanks. The granite is definitely better than the hardwood and as good or better than the original MDF/Steel. The bass was really lacking with the hardwood and was real wooly and fat, not well controlled. With the granite, the bass has much more punch, but sounds tight and better controlled. I think the mids and highs on the granite are also better than the MDF. Vocals (especially female) are more focused and forward in the sound stage.

Wow! I think granite is a great audio grade material.
forseti

Next

Return to Customer Pictures