My Journey to a VPI Classic 1

My Journey to a VPI Classic 1

Postby Buck115 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:36 pm

In early 2012 I started my quest to replace my faithful old Denon turntable. During my research I discovered VPI, liked what I saw, and was giving serious consideration to the Traveler. However, I really liked the Classic 1, but I couldn’t justify the cost when I figured in adding a comparable cartridge and a dustcover and also factoring in my aging ears and stereo system. While I believed my system was capable, I felt my hearing had been damaged enough over the years that I wouldn’t be able to hear what the Classic 1, or any other high-end turntable for that matter, was capable of producing. So, I set my sights lower and systematically ordered, auditioned, and returned three turntables (different makes and models) because of quality issues or in one case because the turntable that was actually for sale was completely misrepresented.

During that entire process, as my wife will attest, the Classic 1 was still in the back of my mind, so when MD listed a demo unit on their sales page, the price was just too attractive not to jump, so I did. There have been some issues with incorrect and damaged parts/accessories that MD is supposed to remedy; the damage resulted from MD’s improper packing and omission of critical packing material. However, the most important things; the base, platter, and arm assembly; appear to be fine! I truly appreciate the help that Harry and Mat provided in clarifying the configuration of my Classic 1; I think I found a keeper if MD follows through with the parts they owe me!!! The Classic 1 is replacing my 1979 Denon DP-1200 that is configured with a Sumiko HS-12 Headshell (adjustable azimuth) and Grado Gold cartridge. Perhaps the Classic 1 is overkill for my system since my system is rather old school, nothing exotic, but the sound produced by this system sounds pretty good to my aging ears and the quality of the sound starts with the turntable!!!! If the sound isn’t generated in the first place, the system can’t reproduce it! Here are a few pictures of my new Classic 1 in my system out in “The Boonies”; that’s what I call my room or man cave. I refer to my music sessions in “The Boonies” as “Music and Merlot” evenings. When I sit in my listening chair, with the volume at a nice level, I remember Maxell's "Blown Away Guy"; I believe I first saw it in Stereo Review back in the 80’s!

I have a separate 5.1 Surround system in a different area of the house that we use for movies and music videos. What appears to be a scratch on the platter is actually an artifact/reflection from the power switch; scared the heck out of me when I downloaded the pictures from my camera, so I jumped up and went out to my room to see if it really was a scratch, it wasn’t. There’s also a picture of my old Denon that the Classic 1 replaced. For nostalgia sake, the last two pictures are scans of film/slides from 1973 and 1975. Recognize any of the equipment in the old pictures? Some should be easy, some not so much.

1973 – Stereo/Quad System; relaxing and listening to music

1975 – Stereo/Quad System with a few additions and changes since 1973

1979 – Stereo/Quad System with one change since 1975

Last edited by Buck115 on Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 Channel: VPI The Classic | Ortofon Quintet Blue | Sunfire Symphonic Reference Preamp | B&K Reference 200.2 | Denon DCD-1650AR, DRM-800 | Sonos Connect | Klipsch KLF-20s | Monster HTS 5100 | AQ King Cobra ICs, Gibraltar Bi-wires
Buck115

Re: My Journey to a VPI Classic 1

Postby MSchu » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:29 pm

WOW... that is a great set of pictures.

I love seeing the transitional elements and timeline photos.
VPI Classic 2/Soundsmith Aida
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Pre Amp/Parks Audio Budgie SUT
Pioneer SC85
Bel Canto REF 500M
Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klipsch RC64
Klipsch SW-115
MSchu

Return to Customer Pictures