My VPI Classic 1

My VPI Classic 1

Postby McFaden » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:36 pm

Just had to post a picture of my lovely turntable as well. We've got the Classic 1 in walnut with a ClearAudio Maestro v2 running to a restored Scott 299c and Klipsch Hersey III loudspeakers. It's all pretty much the best thing ever. We love our VPI!
Attachments
photo3.jpg
McFaden's Hi-Fi
photo3.jpg (703.74 KiB) Viewed 4054 times
McFaden

Re: My VPI Classic 1

Postby Waxxy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:35 pm

I love it! Simple, clean and uncluttered. Right up my alley. What I'm not so pleased with is the fact that you are showing off your Beatles Mono Box while mine is still in the mail! :evil:

Moderators!! I demand you remove this post!! ;)
Waxxy

Postby Broadway90 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:28 am

What a lovely vintage set up (with a modern front end). Elegant cabinet too!
Got my Revolver at the Princeton Record Exchange earlier this week. I have no original Parlaphone to compare it to .... but I am very pleased with the results.

Enjoy!
Broadway90

Postby McFaden » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:14 pm

Thanks Waxxy and Broadway90. We love it too. I always look forward to getting home at the end of the day and spending a little time with some music. I can't wait to find out more about the new VPI 299d amp. I gotta say, the VPI with the nice Scott sound is a true joy to listen to.
McFaden

Postby Laundrew » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:00 pm

I always seem to pick up on more subtle nuances when I look at this photograph - truly a great looking system.

Be well...
"Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Laundrew

Postby Ralph A » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:51 pm

Just a lovely looking old school system. I saw and heard the Classic 1 at the AXPONA Show in Chicago last year and that turntable is gorgeous in both sound and appearance. It looks like a fine piece of furniture that plays records.

I bet The Beatles records sound awesome. Enjoy.

Cheers, Ralph
VPI HW-19 Mk IV/Triplanar III/Sigma Genesis 2000/Acurus P10/Counterpoint DA-10A w/Rapture 24/96 & power supply upgrade/Musical Fidelity M1CDT/Audio Alchemy DDSIII/Marantz ST6000/Denon CDR-W1500/Dynaco PAS-4/Acurus A100/Allison Acoustics AL130
Ralph A

Postby MSchu » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:13 pm

Superb choices... are you on the Klipsch forum also?

I am running Cornwalls.
VPI Classic 2/Soundsmith Aida
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Pre Amp/Parks Audio Budgie SUT
Pioneer SC85
Bel Canto REF 500M
Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klipsch RC64
Klipsch SW-115
MSchu

Postby Van the man84 out » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:54 am

Your system looks great I have the same classic 1 with clear audio maestro v2 as well ,thinking of adding the soundsmith counter intuitive for fine tuning ,just wondering if you are using the antiskate or did you remove it ?
Van the man84 out

Postby McFaden » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:09 pm

Van the Man.
I've heard good things about the counter intuitive but I'm not using that or anti-skate. I have yet to try to adjust anything myself because I am afraid to mess it up. That being said, it's pretty dialed in as is. I purchased the table from Acoustic Sounds and I had Chad Stelly, their in-house TT guru and all-around super nice guy, set it up for me. He mounted the cartridge and set up the tone arm before he shipped it. All i had to do was take it out of the box and level the table and plug it in. Originally Stelly included the anti-skate device and I tried it but I found it to be more trouble than it was worth to get working correctly.

However I do apply a slight amount of "anti-skate" via a little method that Stelly clued me into. When you level the table take the rear left leg and adjust the it so the back left corner is slightly elevated. Then you get some anti-skate using gravity. I'm no expert on this of course, but Stelly is and I trust what he says, and it seems to be working great. Perhaps Harry can chime in on this method of anti-skate.

I hope that helps a bit or at least gives you a few ideas. Either way, try it all out and see.

Lastly, MSchu, I have not gotten on the Klipsch forum yet, I've poked around a bit and it did help me make my decision to pair the Heresy IIIs with the Scott.

Cheers everyone!
Matt
McFaden

Postby Orchids1 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:03 am

I use both the CI and the antiskate device. Neither will mess anything up. On the contrary, the CI will make it easy and fun to fine tune azimuth setting and tracking force. I think the antiskate device makes it easier to adjust skate. If your cart weighs 9 or 10 grams start with 3 rubber washers toward the end of their lever and increase or decrease their distance from the tip of the lever until the sound is centered. Too much antiskate, sound shifts slightly to right speaker, too little, left speaker. Very small changes to either device will make a surprisingly noticable change in sound. I understand the theory behind lifting the TT leg, but doesn't that throw the platter a bit out of level. I wouldn't do it. Really can't recommend CI enough. It's a genius device that is so simple in its design it makes you wonder why someone didn't invent it years ago. But, so are the yellow sticky pads. Rich

PS I was afraid to tinker with my TT until I watched Fremer's TT set up video, the 2014 version of which uses a Classsic 1. You can Google it. I dont use his instruments except for a digital scale, because I think it's more logical to tune by ear, but it makes the adjustments more understandable.
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Next

Return to Customer Pictures