Classic 1 with Koetsu Black

Re: From a Scout II to a Classic 1

Postby tony22 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:17 pm

Depending on the way the stylus is mounted on the cantilever that might be alright. If the stylus line is perfectly at 90 degrees to the cantilever mounting pad with all else being correct (VTA, parallel arm), the rear of the arm would have to be raised approximately 8mm to get a proper (according to Elison, Fremer) 92 degree SRA. Final adjustment by ear, of course.
Last edited by tony22 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Jumping jack » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:31 pm

You are right Gary, but since I took those pictures I've lowered it a little bit. Sounds gets a bit fuller with more body when level, more airy and open at the top end with the back raised a little bit...
Classic 1 Valhalla / Koetsu Black /Wilson Benesch vertex / AVM CS5.2 / Nagra BPS
Jumping jack

Postby Jumping jack » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:49 pm

Beautiful craftsmanship:
Classic 1 Valhalla / Koetsu Black /Wilson Benesch vertex / AVM CS5.2 / Nagra BPS
Jumping jack

Re: Classic 1 with Koetsu Black

Postby Jumping jack » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:12 am

Jumping jack

Postby Jumping jack » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:37 am

Would it be worthwile (and even possible) to upgrade my current armbase to a newer spec with the spike and VTA on the fly?
Jumping jack

Postby Brf » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:37 am

Jumping jack wrote:Would it be worthwile (and even possible) to upgrade my current armbase to a newer spec with the spike and VTA on the fly?

We would need to see your current pivot spike first to determine which version you have.

A properly set up Classic 1 sounds the same as a properly set up Classic with vta. The only difference is that with the vta tower, making adjustments are very easy and if you are the OCD type, you can adjust vta for types and thickness of albums. The nice thing about the Koetsu Black is that it is not "overly" sensitive to minute vta adjustments due to it proprietary stylus shape.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Jumping jack » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:53 am

The pivot spike is the one with the cup. Like this one:

Jumping jack

Postby Brf » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:57 am

Jumping jack wrote:The pivot spike is the one with the cup. Like this one:

I wouldn't change it. Personally, that is my favorite pivot spike!
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Jumping jack » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:04 am

:D Okay, that's a clear answer.

Changing VTA does not particulary arouse me, it's just a handy feature that happens to look good too.

Thank you for your very swift response Brf!
Jumping jack

Postby Brf » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:13 am

Jumping jack wrote::D Okay, that's a clear answer.

Changing VTA does not particulary arouse me, it's just a handy feature that happens to look good too.

Thank you for your very swift response Brf!

As I previously mentioned, your table has the Classic Signature tonearm wand with the 100% stainless steel bearing bell (best VPI metal arm made IMHO) and that is the matching male bearing assembly. The machining to make that pivot bearing is a work of art.
Brf
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Customer Pictures