Classic 1 with Koetsu Black

Classic 1 with Koetsu Black

Postby Jumping jack » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:47 am

Greetings from Belgium.

I've been enjoying it since 2011. Cartridge is an Audio Technica OC9 (mk III), dustcover from Gingko Audio (after my little boy destroyed the first AT OC9 :evil: ). Upgrading to a Classic is still on my wish-list.

Last edited by Jumping jack on Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Classic 1 Valhalla / Koetsu Black /Wilson Benesch vertex / AVM CS5.2 / Nagra BPS
Jumping jack

Re: Scout II

Postby Jumping jack » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:24 am

Well, my wish-list got a bit shorter this weekend since I've stumbled upon a NOS (new old stock ;) ) Classic 1. It came with the special VPI version of the Dynavector 20x2 pre-mounted. But since my phono-amp can't handle the 1 milivolt load, I've switched it for my trusted AT OC9.

The finish is black oak, but the lighting in the pictures isn't very accurate.

Classic 1 Valhalla / Koetsu Black /Wilson Benesch vertex / AVM CS5.2 / Nagra BPS
Jumping jack

Re: From a Scout II to a Classic 1

Postby mreeter » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:54 am

Good score! I have the same Black Classic 1, she's a keeper! Being as you are using the same cartridge and supporting gear, can you hear a difference in the two tables ?
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby tom collins » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:02 am

nice naim stack.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring + center weight, 12.0 arm, base and 12.7 armwand, SDS, SRA platform; Delos, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Musical Surroundings Nova 2, custom SUT; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby Brf » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:22 am

I love the clean look of your system, very nice!

BTW, you got an added bonus, the arm wand on your Classic 1 is an upgrade to a Classic Signature (formerly the Classic 3 with Nordost Valhala wiring)
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Jumping jack » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:38 am

Brf wrote:I love the clean look of our system, very nice!

BTW, you got an added bonus, the arm wand on your Classic 1 is an upgrade to a Classic Signature (formerly the Classic 3 with Nordost Valhala wiring)

Cool! I noticed that the wiring was different from my Scout. That's a nice bonus indeed.

tom collins wrote:nice naim stack.

Thanks!

mreeter wrote:Good score! I have the same Black Classic 1, she's a keeper! Being as you are using the same cartridge and supporting gear, can you hear a difference in the two tables ?

Well, my first impression is that the classic sounds more naturally and more fluently and giving you more information on what's on the record. I also find it better at passing on the emotion in music. It's hard to describe these differences, especially in an other language but I hope you get what I mean ;) . Also, since the table is completely new, the wiring isn't burned in yet...
Jumping jack

Postby Harry » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:29 am

Both systems look great, very clean and organized. Nice job getting that Classic 1, it has a great arm on it.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Jumping jack » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:15 pm

Thank you for your reaction Harry. Nice job creating that classic 1 ;) .

This turntable was initially delivered to a Greek dealer, but with the economy being as it is there, it was never sold. I bought it from a dutch guy who buys and sells ex-demo and old stock. The boxes were still sealed so everything is brand new. According to the state of the lubricant on the platter bearing, it was in that box for quite some time :D .
Jumping jack

Postby Jumping jack » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:42 pm

There's a (nearly new) Koetsu Black coming my way 8-) .
Jumping jack

Postby Gary1955 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:03 pm

Very nice system! It looks like the tonearm is not parallel to the platter, with the front of the tonearm lower than the rear counter-weighted end. You might want to experiment with lowering the rear to make the tonearm more level and parallel. Check your tracking force (VTF) after doing this. Installing a Sound Smith Counter-Intuitive on counterweight will make it much easier to accurately adjust VTF and azimuth.
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover, PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamp.
Gary1955

Next

Return to Customer Pictures