VPI Treason (sort-of)

Re: VPI Treason (sort-of)

Postby elader » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:40 am

i had the falcon on my prime for a while. It got warm but not alarmingly so.

That said, I love my SDS and the roadrunner. Very little drift even without the hunting and adjusting that the eagle would provide
VPI Aries 3, Ortofon Cadenza red, VPI SDS, custom Cinemag SUT
Audible Illusions Modulus 3A, Primaluna Prologue 5
REGA Apollo R, PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
KEF R300, pangea stands, SVS SB12 sub
elader

I own a Scout 1.1 - any other 1.1 owners use a Music Hall CC

Postby chazz101s » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:20 am

Bought my Scout 1.1 from a local authorized dealer in Feb 2015. I assume from the quote below that I own a 600rpm Hurst motor with the 5.5W output (um, correct term "output"?). Side note: How to check that? (As y'all can probably tell, my motor knowledge is scant. Sorry 'bout that.)

Any 1.1 owners who use the Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0?

Long-term use?

Any comments/advice will be much appreciated.

Ditto, recommendations for speed control/speed changing gear other than the unobtainium Phoenix products. Ditto, the SDS or ADS (just too much money for the benefit/convenience).

Thanks, y'all, Chaz

Packgrog wrote:The Music Hall Cruise Control is also woefully underpowered for Hurst motors. It's designed for no more than 3W motors. The newer 600RPM Hurst motors are 5.5W (Falcon is designed for 5W, and does get a bit warm). 300RPM motors are 7W (which made the Eagle necessary), and older 600RPM motors were 10W. Add to all of this the fact that the speed adjustment for the Music Hall is much more course (0.1 RPM vs 0.01 RPM), and it's just not the best choice. The price is OK if, like me, you don't have the skill to build one of the DIY speed controllers, or cash to just buy a SDS or ADS.

Reminder that the Roadrunner isn't really necessary. It's possible to build your own tachometer with an Arduino board. There's still some modest technical skill required, but it's not that tough. I built one, and even helped improve the software (based on Bill's accuracy and speed refinements) to both make it more readable and to work with a Phoenix Falcon or Eagle if you luck into finding one. Works great! http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue ... splay.html
chazz101s

Postby madrac » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:05 pm

Sota Eclipse (discussed elsewhere on this forum)...motor/pod, controller, tach (RR)...believe it's around $1K. So a bit more than the Eagle/RR combo but available.
Classic 1-3D arm, VTA tower,periphery ring,PE Eagle & RR, HW16.5, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook,
Anthem MRX720, Rogue Atlas Magnum II, Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Rythmik E15HPx2,
Audio Sensibility, Blue Jeans ICs, Symposium & Isoacoustics
madrac

Postby Dorian » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:04 pm

VPI Prime & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF Reference 1 | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby chazz101s » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:27 pm

I thought that I was creating a new thread.

No, if I don't want to spend for an ADS or an SDS, I don't want a SOTA add-on.

Maybe one of those threads, somewhere, somehow, does address my question about whether a Cruise Control 2.0 will work with my Scout 1.1. But ya know what? I doubt I will look through 'em.

Anybody out there who had USED A MUSIC HALL CRUISE CONTROL 2.0 with a Scout 1.1? Success? Failure?
chazz101s

Postby madrac » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:55 pm

The Music Hall is only rated to 3W max. VPI motors are higher than that. You may want to ask VPI (or search) what wattage the motor draws whilst at speed. If less than 3 watts, for $300, you could always try one. I suspect more wattage at start up, so not sure how long it will take to get up to speed or if it will shorten the life of the controller. Guess you could manually spin the platter at start to mitigate.
Classic 1-3D arm, VTA tower,periphery ring,PE Eagle & RR, HW16.5, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook,
Anthem MRX720, Rogue Atlas Magnum II, Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Rythmik E15HPx2,
Audio Sensibility, Blue Jeans ICs, Symposium & Isoacoustics
madrac

Previous

Return to Customer Pictures